• Black screen after logging into Antergos

I recently dual booted Antergos on my laptop alongside Windows 10, but when I boot up, type in my password, and log in, I’m met with a black screen with only a cursor. I had to disable nouveau to successfully get through the cnchi install but other than that there were no issues or errors during installation. I have a GTX 1050 if that helps any, and the DE I’m running is Gnome. I’ve tried disabling nouveau on my actual installation as well but that didn’t fix anything.

Also, this is my laptop if that helps.

• Try Antergos Nvidia ISO. It is made with recent Nvidia cards in mind, and has been successfully installed several times. It doesn’t work for classic Optimus cards though, and I don’t know whether or not your GTX 1050 is of this type.

• @just said in Black screen after logging into Antergos:

Try Antergos Nvidia ISO. It is made with recent Nvidia cards in mind, and has been successfully installed several times. It doesn’t work for classic Optimus cards though, and I don’t know whether or not your GTX 1050 is of this type.

Sadly, I do have an Optimus card. Any other options?

• take a look here:
    https://antergos.com/wiki/hardware/bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus/

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• While searching the forum, I see only the posts about problems with GTX 1050. And yet, seems like I vaguely remember that somebody has succeded installing Nvidia drivers (with Bumblebee?) on 1050, and has posted about it. But can’t find that post right now.

Edit

No, I recall it now. Nvidia was installed on 750, not on 1050. I’m sorry for mis-guiding.

• @joekamprad
    The problem though is I can’t get past the black screen on boot to do the rest of the steps there. Disabling Nouveau doesn’t get me past the black screen.

• may then: BIOS tries to control integrated and/or discrete video cards?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• Unsure how/if I can change the required settings in BIOS since I’m running HP and its using InsydeH20 BIOS

• @Cambrych said in Black screen after logging into Antergos:

Disabling Nouveau doesn’t get me past the black screen.

How do you do it exactly? With what command? Please, post it here.

Unsure how/if I can change the required settings in BIOS…

But it is the key point, if a video card is controlled by BIOS in Optimus computer. It is imperative to initially disable discrete video card to be able to install Nvidia on Optimus. Otherwise any attempt to install Nvidia on BIOS-controlled Optimus caomputer will fail.

…but when I boot up, type in my password, and log in, I’m met with a black screen with only a cursor.

Do you continue to blacklist nouveau, for installed Antergos? You must do it until nouveau is un-installed.

Do you able to login to bash, without GUI (DE)? You may do it by appending the following parameter to the boot line:

systemd.unit=multi-user.target 

If yes, then nouveau may be un-installed from bash. An Optimus laptop runs on Intel GPU most of the time, using xf86-video-intel. It doesn’t have a need neither of nouveau nor of Nvidia drivers. So first, you should get a stable system running on Intel. Second, it is possible to add Nvidia driver, later.

• I was able to login to the bash and then deleted nouveau via
    sudo pacman -Rc xf86-video-nouveau

After which I restarted but still got a black screen after log-in

I tried 3 different ways to disable nouveau through grub before this but I don’t remember what exactly I tried.

A + F10 also did not work for unlocking advanced BIOS

A + F10 also did not work for unlocking advanced BIOS

Then may ask at some HP Forums for a solution, as i have dto search the web for it too, i do not own such hardware…
    If you disable nouveau you need to be shure you start with an aviable discrete graphiccard…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

black40 logging1 Posts 13Views 468