• Massive boot issue.

So I had antegros installed on my laptops hard drive, and it was customized the way I like it, so I prefer not to reinstall it. I had a USB stick with Linuxmint installed on it and I was adding Ubuntu to that USB to dual boot and went through that installation process. After it finished something changed in my hard drive because I can’t boot my computer without the USB plugged in, and when it is plugged in all I have are options for Linuxmint and Ubuntu. It just keeps booting and saying "no such device: 4cc1403b-5210-4b49-9a50-978b6d0dc973. Entering rescue mode."

• This issue can be caused by different situations… but as you say: when it is plugged in all I have are options for Linuxmint and Ubuntu You get this after installing Ubuntu to the usb-stick, so it is may related to this…

As i understand, you can only boot from this usb-stick and as you say both usb-installed system are working?

But when you unplug the usb-stick you get a Grub menu showing up, and it stops booting with the error:
    “no such device: 4cc1403b-5210-4b49-9a50-978b6d0dc973. Entering rescue mode.” ???

Question is here: do you press [F12] to get manual bootup menu and choose usb to boot?
    Or you boot from internal HD-drive and get the grub menu with mint and ubuntu? But how do you get Antergos to boot to the error?

You can boot up with Antergos-Iso-Installer and rewrite Grub from this one like discribed here: (only for EFI-BIOS!!!)
    https://antergos.com/wiki/miscellaneous/how-to-fix-grub-with-efi-boot/

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad

Google photos album
    In order from first to last picture:
    with nothing
    Regular boot with USB inserted
    F12 booted menu

• @chaseb1357 said in Massive boot issue.:

@joekamprad

Google photos album
    In order from first to last picture:
    with nothing
    Regular boot with USB inserted
    F12 booted menu

All systems are working properly, I just can’t boot into Antegros even with the grub options, they turn more errors in themselves.

• Hm but your pictures looks like that both grub menus are not the ANtergos ones and are genereated by Ubuntu and by Mint, two different grub installations? both on the usb-stick?

I do not get your setup clear :person_juggling_tone2: here…

It is possible to fix this from LiveIso, or also from booting one of your OS that working, if the Antergos installation is untouched by any issues caused by Ubuntu installation…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad I attempted that wiki you sent, but it didn’t work. I couldn’t get grub to install because it couldn’t find the root or something. But as of the moment my internet is down so I have to use my phone.

• This can be linked to taht therev is something messed up with / (root) or simple caused by mounting the wrong partition to /mnt…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad is there a way to copy over all files worth saving? like settings and programs? And just do a new install and copy over the saved files?

• Personal setting yes they are all saved inside your /home/USERNAME/ folder…
    Installed programs can be stored as a list to simple reinstall it, but if / (root) partition is not aviable anymore… no chance to generate that list.

For personal settings i would copy them one by one back to not make a mess…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

massive3 issue4 boot159 Posts 9Views 186