• Installing on a laptop with two btrfs sub volumes

Hi,

I am going to install Antergos on a laptop which has a large btrfs partition with two sub volumes / and /home (in addition to a swap partition). I would like to keep /home untouched and install on /. Will that be possible with the graphical installer?

//Christian

• Hi,

I am going to install Antergos on a laptop which has a large btrfs partition with two sub volumes / and /home (in addition to a swap partition). I would like to keep /home untouched and install on /. Will that be possible with the graphical installer?

//Christian

• It should work. You can’t create/delete btrfs volumes with the installer, but you can tell it where you want to install Antergos.

I’ve never worked with btrfs, but it should give you no problems at all.

By all means, MAKE A BACKUP of your data first!!!

Cheers!

• Hi cdysthe

i would suggest to do the following. On your current system i would create a new subvolume called "root_antergos"or something like that. During the Antergos install you can then mount this subvolume with the mount option subvol=root_antergos. This way your old “/” subvolume will be untouched and you won’t run into trouble with your old linux-root data. After installation you should then include the “subvol=root_antergos” in your new /etc/fstab. And when your new system is running perfectly you can then delete the data from your old “/” subvolume.

I usually don’t install any system in subvolid=0 because i “learned” it that way under ubuntu. I like the ubuntu idea to create all subvolumes (ink root) inside the subvolume with subvolid=0 and mount them where they need to be (/ /home /usr/local/ /var/) with lines inside of /etc/fstab.

If you need more help just just let me know!

ciao markus

Posts 4Views 1652