• Help: Can't save my locale.gen after un-commenting

Hello,

I’ve been trying to switch language (from German to English, since it used German when I said I lived here) on my Antergos installation, however, with no luck.

I know the guide states that I need to un-comment the language in the locale.gen file. However, when I un-comment something in the locale.gen file it does not let me save it again. I have no clue what I have done wrong. Has anyone else had this issue, or can someone help me why?

I’m logged in on the account I created in the installation, so I should be the root user, but it seems to be an issue permissions since it tells me when I try so save over the file that I’m not allowed.

I tried re-installing from scratch and I still have the same issue, so not sure what I need to do.

Thanks,
    Tobias

• @TobiasDev
    Hi!
    You need to open with super user right.
    Not sure what text editor you’re using, so you can do that with sudo nano /etc/locale.gen type your password edit what you need, then save with Ctrl+o and exit with Ctrl+x

You may also check if you /etc/locale.conf and /etc/vconsole.conf are set as you wish.
    then you need to generate the file with sudo locale-gen

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thanks! That solved it. :) Thought I already was a super user when I logged in.

• @TobiasDev you need root permission to write to this file.
    I would prefere to use non graphical editor like nano:

sudo nano /etc/locale.gen

and [ctrl+X] to save.

Then generating by:

sudo locale-gen

On Antergos installation the root user is created with the same password as the main user you create on installation.

sudo - what the hell is this?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

locale.gen1 save2 un-commenting1 Posts 4Views 88