• What GNOME needs to be good 😇

What do you think GNOME needs, and lacks right now, to be a good desktop?

I will use these suggestion to persuade GNOME of adopting them, as I think I have found a common ground to do so. You can also mention aspects of its community or the way it’s managed.

Also realise this thread is aimed to be constructive and peaceful. Thanks ;)

• First:
    Since extensions are created outside of the normal GNOME design and development process, they are supported by their authors, rather than by the GNOME community. Some features first implemented as extensions might find their way into future versions of GNOME (Source: https://extensions.gnome.org/about/)

But i can not see any like https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/307/dash-to-dock/ going inside gnome system…
    This should be a common process to make Gnome more userfriendly, same like on AUR where user can vote for a PKGBUILD and if there are a lot users like one it goes to community…

Second:
    I love the change to non cascading menus!
    But what is about windows? Gnome needs a configurable Tiling WM!!! not an 3.party extension,
    it have to go into the core, of Mutter itself, may optional switched off… or open Gnome-Shell to other WM’s.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Well, GNOME is my primary DE and I like it all the things considered.

My main criticism for the GNOME project is the very poor documentation which is also linked with customizability.

Why would I need an extension to change the color of panel, for example? Then, say there is a reasonable explanation for this. But, again why would I need to install an extension provided by third parties, god knows who? GNOME project tries to embrace these sort of extension (mainly because they need to NOT they want to since main customizability is very limited for the dekstop) so there is a kind of GNOME web extension feature, bla bla. But, when I install the extensions that way it is not good enough:

1- I have no idea what I am installing or whether that specific project will be continued or not. Sometimes, I can not find the same extension I installed couple of months later. What?!?
    2- There should be an environment for extensions, controlled by GNOME project, but better than the current one. For example, I like that some extension projects are provided as git repositories so we can package them if we want to.

At last coming back to my first point, there should be a good documentation on how to write new extension when we want to. It should be in a way that I could understand simple basics in 10 mins or so since most of us dont have much time to deal with all that, it should be simple enough for everyone. This article kind of reflects my point, http://mathematicalcoffee.blogspot.com/2012/09/gnome-shell-extensions-getting-started.html.

I heard that GNOME plans to include GNOME tweak under their project. So, I believe that is good step for GNOME customization. And again, since Ubuntu is planning to (or already did ?) switch to GNOME desktop by default, there may be some attempts to address these issues.

As @joekamprad says, I really would like an optional tiling version available.

• So it seems that not only they aren’t giving options, but they are disallowing them by design… on purpose.

Doesn’t look trivial to fix :/

• @psscnp142 said in What GNOME needs to be good 😇:

At last coming back to my first point, there should be a good documentation on how to write new extension when we want to. It should be in a way that I could understand simple basics in 10 mins or so since most of us dont have much time to deal with all that, it should be simple enough for everyone.

Exactly! I have tried to make a Gnome extensions before only to find I could not find any documentation on how to do so.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

My ISO:
    https://rebornos.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @joekamprad said in What GNOME needs to be good 😇:

This should be a common process to make Gnome more userfriendly, same like on AUR where user can vote for a PKGBUILD and if there are a lot users like one it goes to community…

I love this idea! Another vote for this one definitely:slight_smile:.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

My ISO:
    https://rebornos.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• But hey! lets try.

• I find you way too optimistic. Has any of you followed discussions with a gnome dev in the ‘proper’ gnome places? Not only do they believe that their "product’ is perfect as is, not only are they unwilling to give away any kind of customiseability, but their intention is to provide something even more featureless.
    Companies hate customiseability. I guess for a good reason (to them). They are concerned on the “average”, less technical user who just wants a DE to start working. So the more simple it is, the fewer chances to break and the more stable.
    That applied to Red Hat, so far. I don t have high hopes because Canonical got back to the game. Ubuntu also has got the same “company standards” aiming to the same target group. Unity was one of the least configurable DEs. A little before its death, the…option to place the launcher at the bottom was a…revolution to their fan boys!!!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I like Gnome and special gnome3, but i give a f… about nice effects and sitting, on my ass for 16 hours to have “The perfect designed Desktop” If i start my Computer i want only one thing: accessibility and for this Gnome3 is perfectly build!

But Gnome devs are interface nazis ;) (it was NOT me, Linus was saying this!)

Gnome need more interactivity with its users, they strongly need a system to enhance the Desktop by going back to follow the core idea of Open Source!

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• I’m not a Gnome user, but one thing that seem so bad to me is the lack of some kind of menu. If they could just add one in the dash to dock (maybe right clicking that one that open all available programs could open a menu and left clicking doing the current behavior). Also thinking about users complains is to make it easier to create/add .desktop files (if some package doesn’t do by default you’ll need to create a .desktop in the right place, it’s very annoying)

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @anarch said in What GNOME needs to be good 😇:

Has any of you followed discussions with a gnome dev in the ‘proper’ gnome places? Not only do they believe that their "product’ is perfect as is, not only are they unwilling to give away any kind of customiseability, but their intention is to provide something even more featureless.

If you have a closer look at the GNOME Design Principles, you will see that it doesn’t provide any criteria at all about what to include or what to exclude.

It simply recommends excluding as much as you can. Then the problem isn’t the purpose of simplifying, but actually the lack of standard on how to do so.

The fix then is to provide more specific recommendations, for example:

• Cover 95% of scenarios, leave 5% for manual intervention.
    • Only show what’s used right now, or constantly. Hide everything else.
    • Provide a single tool for each single task, but ease choosing alternatives.
    • Allow the user to drive the car as they wanted, hide how the car drives itself.
    • If some info doesn’t change user behaviour likely it’s unneeded.
    • Make it understandable by anyone, sounding natural when read aloud.
    • Make mistakes impossible by design. Force immediate error correction.
    • Despite philosophies, the option that eases the most is always the best one.

So the conversation wouldn’t be about changing their goals, but how to make them more practicable.

• @es20490446e said in What GNOME needs to be good 😇:

…It simply recommends excluding as much as you can…

Interesting concept. Gnome devs have already excluded from DE almost everything they can. Remains to exclude only one small thing - the DE itself.

…Make mistakes impossible by design…

Follows the conpept. No DE - no mistakes.

Amazing Gnome 3.

• @joekamprad said in What GNOME needs to be good 😇:

But Gnome devs are interface nazis (it was NOT me, Linus was saying this!)
    https://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html

@es20490446e , Linus Torvalds himself had his critisicm on the Gnome philosophy, just twelve (12) years ago. Where exactly do you disagree with his harsh (never was afraid using such expressions) comments?
    Nothing has changed since then. On the contrary. Gnome kept eliminating/hiding features, providing a nice, minimalistic tablet UI, being the heaviest now that Unity was abandonded.
    Please, note that I m not saying Gnome is not good. I m just describing my personal reasons for not going back to it ever again. There s lots of choice out there, lighter and hell of a lot more configurable and feature-rich. Why should I dig or start programming lessons to be able to (let s say) add a background to the grey ugliness of GDM (which also is the heaviest among all DMs?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Albert Einstein says:

“The purest form of madness is to leave everything as it was, and at the same time to hope that something will change.“

So instead of criticism, and try to change an old monster, remove it, and take something new, without looking back on what GNOME could’ve been.

New projects are more open to be build on new idea’s !

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @anarch said in What GNOME needs to be good 😇:

Where exactly do you disagree with his harsh comments?

The reason why there are more settings is actually for, instead making a good software design, delegating the technical fixing to the user.

So lowering the amount of settings exposes issues of the software, and forces solving them:

Inventory hides problems

The issue with the GNOME style is they actually doesn’t fix those pains, but just reduce for the shake of reducing.

So while Linus thinks they are going down the wrong path, I think they are half the right path.

• I guess I’m seeing things from a different angle.

Even with the relative lack of configurability compared to other Linux desktops, I find that I get along comfortably using GNOME Shell. Without any extensions, too. I don’t need a traditional menu setup. GNOME provides multiple ways of launching any apps I need to get to – it’s easy. I love using the dynamic workspaces. Unlike some other users, I have no “workflow” issues with GNOME Shell. I don’t care much for Nautilus (aka “Files”), though, so I use a different file manager.

I regularly use various types of desktop setups – Openbox, Fluxbox, Xfce, KDE, and LXDE, as well as GNOME Shell. Each of those has some things about it that I really enjoy.

Seems that there are a lot of people who dislike GNOME these days, but I’m one who feels that GNOME 3 is good, and a helluva lot better than GNOME 2 ever was. Go figure.

1. “Do not disturb” toggle
    2. Built in Night Light
    3. Better email client. I find “Geary” nearly perfect, except there is no global settings to enable content in email and has to be done for each mail separately. I especially like the vertical view because that is what goes with 16:9 monitors that everyone uses.
    4. Better productivity apps. Should be easier to create and manage projects and tasks.
    5. A little bit of sync with phone. Turning on “Do not disturb” on phone should turn it on my desktop too.
  • @baccilus said in What GNOME needs to be good 😇:

Built in Night Light

is build in https://www.gnome.org/news/2017/03/gnome-3-24-released/attachment/night-light/
    You will find under display settings

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

gnome250 needs5 Posts 18Views 1019