• PORTERGOS (Portable Antergos) - Offline/Online installer UNOFFICIAL

Updated! Added openbox and xfce4 as DEs and other interesting stuff (on the description)

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Yay !!! It’s amazing how many improvements you are constantly pumping out @fernandomaroto:grinning:.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

My ISO:
    https://rebornos.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @Keegan said in UNOFFICIAL i3-wm iso with Offline and Online installer!:

Yay !!! It’s amazing how many improvements you are constantly pumping out @fernandomaroto:grinning:.

Thank you very much! I do my best and try to have fun doing this iso hehehe.
    Many things to improve but in my humble opinion the iso is now very stable and without bugs.

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto said in UNOFFICIAL i3-wm iso with Offline and Online installer!:

I do my best and try to have fun doing this iso hehehe.

It’s certainly an adventure!

in my humble opinion the iso is now very stable and without bugs.

Oooooh… I may have to give it a try then sometime soon:grinning:. I’m extremely busy right now, but hopefully I can get around to it sometime in the future?

My ISO:

• upload to http://kamprad.net/Downloads/Maroto-iso/ done also !!!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• i will give it a boot now!

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• alt text

no german language …

But all is working as expected :)
    the window handling is a bit tricky as if i open home folder the top of the window is outside the upper screen ending, and i need to push it down by pressing mod and use the mouse.

the shortcut for closing a window should be added to the basics on the desktop …

but again greate work mr. !!!

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in UNOFFICIAL i3 + Xfce4 + Openbox iso with Offline and Online installer!:

I just got notified about the post… I noticed that happening with other topics too… (3 days of delay)

no german language …

Ah ok, all the translates are untouched from the original pacbang installer (most of the code is still the original pacbang, i’m adding code as i “develop” more stuff)

the window handling is a bit tricky as if i open home folder the top of the window is outside the upper screen ending, and i need to push it down by pressing mod and use the mouse

This is a bad workaround i did for the installed system run the installer too (launch tilix and it launchs the installer, that means 2 terminals, only to open a terminal asking password in the installed system). I’ll change that for the iso at least.

I’m glad you liked, yesterday i changed the code, the installer launched in terminal uses dialog and executed under X11 uses xdialog and is prettty ugly right now :)

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto I’ve installed this version of your ISO like a week ago, instead of the previous version. Merely around the same time I’ve installed Archmerge, that replaces ArchR2D2, on the same machine, just because of the large similarity of both projects.
    I haven’t tested them extensively yet, due to personal circumstances, but I’m really impressed what you’ve done. Your XFCE uses, as you claim, less resources and therefore runs slightly smoother and faster on my old, and now rebooted laptop, in comparison with Archmerge. It has only two gigs of RAM and a dual core 1.8 ghz processor and I know it’s an old and slower machine, but I thought it was the perfect candidate for this experiment. So I took it out of the cupboard and bring it back to live.
    From what I can tell for now start up is faster on your version, XFCE seems to “build” faster then on Archmerge, but to be fair, Archmerge has more apps and theming pre-installed, so that must be taken in consideration.
    I’ve run into the same problem with window handling like @joekamprad did, but your working on it now.
    I’m not trying for a smackdown comparison between the two, because Archmerge has a different approach, in sense of that they want the user to learn Linux and eventually evolve into making a new version with the devs and your approach is to give i3-wm more tools and hints for the beginner to get a start with.
    Again my very big compliments on your improvements you made and, from what I read, are making.

Thinkpad E570 Intel core i5 (Kaby lake)
    8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @Bryanpwo
    Hi!
    Well i never heard about “archmerge” i guess i must give it a try. It also has offline installer?

but I’m really impressed what you’ve done

Thank you very much, i added xfce4 and openbox in a hurry as an alternative to people whom wasn’t being able to install Antergos due some cnchi/new packages problems.

but to be fair, Archmerge has more apps and theming pre-installed

As i said before, i’ll check this distro since i never heard about it before. One thing is that i just don’t like the fact that my iso is getting so big: I’m building a minimum iso with openbox (around 1.3GB) and the bigger is around 1.7GB (on which i’m adding normal kernel and LTS too, that also increase the iso size)

I’ve run into the same problem with window handling like @joekamprad did, but your working on it now.

Yes although i couldn’t replicate this behaviour i know is related with “sudo tilix -e [offline_installer]” or maybe only one of the launchers are buggy…

your approach is to give i3-wm more tools and hints for the beginner to get a start with

Yes, at first i wanted an offline installer with the packages i use to be quickly installed, now i no longer know what i want hehehehe.
    To be true i guess i’ll keep both 3 desktops, even if they’re not configured the iso/installer has all the necessary packages so the user can set everything (xfce4 for example has also all xfce4-goodies installed)

OBS: i abandonned the xdialog to run the installer, is just ugly, terrible and buggy. So i’m back to only dialog
    OBS2: right now i’m not trying to find a solution to the bug you and @joekamprad reported, i’m adding 2 kernels and testing grub entries, and also creating the “minimum iso”

Again my very big compliments on your improvements you made and, from what I read, are making.

Thank you very much friend!! And please feel free to say anything/opinions/criticism you have about the iso. Also be free to suggest other packages to be added, configs etc etc :P

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto said in UNOFFICIAL i3 + Xfce4 + Openbox iso with Offline and Online installer!:

Well i never heard about “archmerge” i guess i must give it a try.

I gave it a try. To my surprise it installed all 3 DEs at once, and one can switch between them. Runs well, looks cool, but - to my taste - it’s overloaded with fireworks. I planned to use it on my old, testing machine, but given up.

Could you please check out my game?

• @fernandomaroto : Archmerge hasn’t got an offline installer, they use the same installer as Manjaro. Which is Cnchi in another jacket, I believe. Archmerge was launched the first of October, so it is a brand new distro.
    I noticed the XFCE goodies, thanks for that and I will give you feedback very soon. My dad is luckily getting better and he is getting chatty again, so it won’t be long when he’ll be released to go home.
    @piotr : I agree with you on the overload of fireworks, but I guess that’s part of the learning curve they offer. I actually like that idea: XFCE for the beginner and when you’re bored with it, you can take it up a notch with Openbox and then finally use your knowledge for i3-wm. That all in one distro, without reinstalling. One of the devs was an avid Antergos user, he still refers to Antergos on his personal site. It was because of his tutorials I landed over here.

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @Bryanpwo said in UNOFFICIAL i3 + Xfce4 + Openbox iso with Offline and Online installer!:

I actually like that idea: XFCE for the beginner and when you’re bored with it, you can take it up a notch with Openbox and then finally use your knowledge for i3-wm. That all in one distro, without reinstalling.

I agree that those switchable, lightweight environments make sense. I just doubt if my old desktop is strong enough to cope with all the preinstalled, and not really necessary stuff. Mean not only wallpapers, but all the tools I’m highly unlikely to launch ever.

Could you please check out my game?

• @Bryanpwo
    Good to hear that your dad is doing better now!

• @piotr : I cleared a bunch of those apps, Variety being one of them, I don’t see the point of downloading constantly new wallpapers. Although some apps I didn’t know and I kept them, like Geany.
    @manuel : Thank you for your interest, my mother is living up again, now she knows he’s getting home soon.

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @Bryanpwo said in UNOFFICIAL i3 + Xfce4 + Openbox iso with Offline and Online installer!:

My dad is luckily getting better and he is getting chatty again, so it won’t be long when he’ll be released to go home.

That is truly good news:grinning:. Thank you for sharing this with us!

My ISO:

Archmerge hasn’t got an offline installer, they use the same installer as Manjaro

Ah ok. Not sure if you get the chance to test my online installer (very simple still). Screenshot bellow
    0_1507833415984_online_installer.jpg

My dad is luckily getting better and he is getting chatty again, so it won’t be long when he’ll be released to go home.

I’m very happy for you friend!

Last night I read archmerge’s site and downloaded the iso but didn’t install yet. That’s interesting that in an emergency i made my iso similar to theirs (using 3 desktops) without even knowing their distro. It’s said at the site that archmerge is a 2 years old project already, while my first post is from 11th august 2017, i guess i started the iso a month before that, so i have to learn a lot until i get their expertise…

I agree that those switchable, lightweight environments make sense. I just doubt if my old desktop is strong enough to cope with all the preinstalled, and not really necessary stuff. Mean not only wallpapers, but all the tools I’m highly unlikely to launch ever.

Well i guess you’re talking about archmerge right, though i think with offline install my iso would use around 8GB of HD (never checked that…),

I cleared a bunch of those app

I’m willing to add more apps to my iso, if they prove usefull enough, usually i add the ones i use or am testing

OBS: talking more about crazy stuff… i guess would be possible to add LXDE and LXQT to the iso without increasing the iso size that much, i’ll test when i have time “just for fun” hehehe
    OBS2: about the “double terminals” using the installer, i can’t replicate in my actual iso, i guess i already changed the code some days ago, i made so many changes that can’t remember :P

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto said in UNOFFICIAL i3 + Xfce4 + Openbox iso with Offline and Online installer!:

i made so many changes that can’t remember

Wow! You must be busy over there:grinning:.

My ISO:

• @fernandomaroto I will try the offline installer tomorrow, then I’ve got no work obligations. Your pre-installed apps are sufficient, like piotr said Archmerge has too much apps loaded and I can imagine that a complete n00b will be overwhelmed by them.
    Archmerge 6.0 is the first official stable release, now it is the replacement for R2D2.

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• I just finished testing and installing archmerge, i guess they’re using offline installer (I saw a command like “uncompressing sfs filesystem”), that means their installer is much better because the install was so fast! wow! Or maybe using both uncompressing sfs and then downloading other packages…
    I admit i didn’t see a package that get my attention, maybe i can add an USB writer to the iso. If you have any suggestion just say and i can check

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

Posts 96Views 4064