• PORTERGOS (Portable Antergos) - Offline/Online installer UNOFFICIAL

Sure. I’ll try it out😀. However, where do I download it? I had to leave unexpectedly earlier, and so never actually got to download your new ISO.

Thanks!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

My ISO: https://rebornos.wordpress.com

Friend's Website: http://nwg.pl

• The ISO booted here also.

KDE/XFCE/i3-WM

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing its stupid.

• mtab and fstab are present but empty… i do not think that fstab is that nessesarry to boot ISO/loop device…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• I fixed the issue, but will take time to build another iso and around 5 hours to upload, so another version only tomorrow hehehe.
    The ISO boots fine, the weird thing is that the installed system is booting too even without fstab!!! Not sure if that’s possible too under real machine or just a virtualbox miracle hehehe.

Explanation: i created the bug accidentaly yesterday, i changed the grub install method to make it faster: now the users no longer decide if they want to use partition path, UUID etc. The installer goes straight to UUID and thats it.
    but instead of using echo "genfstab -U -p" >${ANSWER} i was using echo "genfstab -U -p" 2>${ANSWER} which is the standard stdout for dialog. Yes, a single “2” messed it up. hehehe

OBS: iso reuploaded

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto

I installed this to disk on a real machine.
    I dd’d it to a 160gb sata hard drive to boot as live media, because USB is painfully slow.

I successfully installed Portergos to a SSD with option 0

I ran through the cnchi installer to install Antergos to another SSD (from the live media still).
    when I tried to boot is said missng or corrupt isolinux.bin.
    I ran it again from the installed portergos system and I get the same error when I try to boot the freshly installed antergos.
    Not sure I really have a clue how to fix that.

Also I can’t get the keyboard shortcuts to launch the portergos installer in the xfce desktop (haven’t tried other DEs);
    nor can I launch either of the bin files that I assume are the portergos installers (easy-install?)

Also also the offline installer brings up an empty terminal.

Also also also the theme for cnchi makes it really hard to read the text unless the selection is highlighted

In case you were wondering, /etc/fstab exists and is not empty on the real install.

Portergos, when installed, I think boots a little faster than antergos

Still getting that error: key could not be looked up remotely when I try to update, some problem with gpg keyservers or a key that doesn’t exist anymore.

I would love to (help) get this working, I think portergos can solve a lot of problems for me if it makes it easy to make a more custom antergos install.

Proactively seek to give of yourself and to bring only benefit to your peers and community.

• @fernandomaroto i move the topic to community-contributions to do not confuse users, as this is not directly about Antergos 😉

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• @Moe_Narrow said in PORTERGOS (Portable Antergos) - Offline/Online installer UNOFFICIAL:

I ran through the cnchi installer to install Antergos to another SSD (from the live media still).
    when I tried to boot is said missng or corrupt isolinux.bin.
    I ran it again from the installed portergos system and I get the same error when I try to boot the freshly installed antergos.
    Not sure I really have a clue how to fix that.

Did you try to run cnchi from both Portergos and Antergos iso and got the same errors?

Also I can’t get the keyboard shortcuts to launch the portergos installer in the xfce desktop

You’re right, the shortcuts are for i3-wm only (xfce and openbox need improvement). To launch portergos offline installer with XFCE4 and openbox you must look for it on the panel:

0_1515590171639_panel.png

Also also the offline installer brings up an empty terminal.

It takes some time to load at first, like 10 seconds i guess. Did you find it after the system was installed? I need to replicate it to find a solution here.

Also also also the theme for cnchi makes it really hard to read the text unless the selection is highlighted

Right, under xfce i couldn’t fix it, under i3 and openbox there is an workaround to launch cnchi. Maybe i should change the Solarized theme, but i like it so much hehehe.

In case you were wondering, /etc/fstab exists and is not empty on the real install.

Yes, fixed it already.

Portergos, when installed, I think boots a little faster than antergos

Yes, it’s like arch linux and doesn’t load too many systemd services (the user will need to activate them later)
    Also the image boots faster since don’t use login manager nor plymouth.

Still getting that error: key could not be looked up remotely when I try to update, some problem with gpg keyservers or a key that doesn’t exist anymore.

Can you post an image? Yesterday archlinux were updating keyrings (took me more than 30 minutes to update them yesterday)

I would love to (help) get this working, I think portergos can solve a lot of problems for me if it makes it easy to make a more custom antergos install.

Thank you very much! Any kind of contribution is welcomed! If you want to help with work you can tell me what would you like to do? Or just chat me and we can talk better.

Portergos site

I3wm

• @fernandomaroto
    Hey so what kind of feedback/system logs/ anything would help you the most ?

I’m gonna start trying to configure this as my daily driver to give it some rigorous testing.

Did you try to run cnchi from both Portergos and Antergos iso and got the same errors?

I’m not exactly sure what you mean, I ran cnchi from the live media and then from the installed portergos to try to generate antergos, which said missing or corrupt isolinux.bin when I tried to boot into it, but otherwise appeared to be there.

I went into the i3 session with debug log to try to use the portergos installer or maybe run cnchi again and the desktop was doing some strange rumination, the disk icons didn’t load into it and the cursor was a spinning wheel except on the panel bar at the bottom. So reboot and then went into the regular i3 session and I posted screenshots. The panel bar appears in the middle but the buttons are clickable in their original location. And I accidentally launched the shutdown menu a couple times. I’ll keep you posted, let me know what logs you wanna see and where to get them.![alt text](![image url](![image url](![image url](![image url](![image url](![image url](![image url](![image url](![image url](![image url](![0_1515630610951_IMG_2018-01-10_18-21-07.70.jpeg](Uploading 100%) image url)))))))))))

Proactively seek to give of yourself and to bring only benefit to your peers and community.

• I’m running through the portergos installer in i3 from the now installed system and I’ll run cnchi again in a minute from the system that will hopefully get installed.

I get all the way to the point where you ask it to install the base system, then this error:

cp: cannot create regular file ‘/mnt/etc/vconsole.conf’: no such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file ‘/mnt/etc/xorg.conf.d/’: no such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘/run/archiso/bootmnt/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz’: no such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘/run/archiso/bootmnt/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz-lts’: no such file or directory
    mount: /mnt/proc: mount point does not exist
    ==>error failed to setup chroot /mnt
    umount: bad usage

• @Moe_Narrow

desktop was doing some strange rumination, the disk icons didn’t load into it and the cursor was a spinning wheel except on the panel bar at the bottom.

oops
    well, right after start there is a script to set the resolution to 1280x720, while it adjust the screen it gets weird 😛
    The mouse under i3 stays that way, totally normal.

The panel bar appears in the middle but the buttons are clickable in their original location. And I accidentally launched the shutdown menu a couple times.

That happens to i3 too. What i do here is to logoff and login again.

I’ll keep you posted, let me know what logs you wanna see and where to get them

Any kind of reports are welcomed. Your images are not working…

I’m running through the portergos installer in i3 from the now installed system and I’ll run cnchi again in a minute from the system that will hopefully get installed.

Ok, cnchi is original from Antergos, it should work the same way that under Antergos iso.

cp: cannot create regular file ‘/mnt/etc/vconsole.conf’: no such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file ‘/mnt/etc/xorg.conf.d/’: no such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘/run/archiso/bootmnt/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz’: no such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘/run/archiso/bootmnt/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz-lts’: no such file or directory
    mount: /mnt/proc: mount point does not exist
    ==>error failed to setup chroot /mnt
    umount: bad usage

It seems you’re trying to install Portergos from an already installed system. So If you’re not running the ISO anymore and want to install portergos you should choose the cloning option.

Portergos site

I3wm

• @fernandomaroto

It seems you’re trying to install Portergos from an already installed system. So If you’re not running the ISO anymore and want to install portergos you should choose the cloning option.

Oh I see! But you can’t exactly ‘clone’ the running system, can you?
    I mean if I said dd if=/dev/sda of =/dev/sdb it would be a picture of everything going on, like moving an image while it’s being scanned.
    I suppose you don’t mean the ‘clone’ option includes the files, though it’s easy enough to move them.
    The ‘clone’ option means to install Portergos on another disk?
    Does this include everything that is already installed on Portergos?
    Sorry, i was just confused, I thought of a clonezilla-like functionality when i saw the clone option.
    You should consider a different name for that option.

cnchi is original from Antergos, it should work the same way that under Antergos iso.

Does this mean it can only install while it’s live media?

I actually can’t get cnchi to work under regular antergos. It’s no longer installed when the system gets installed. I installed it again and it wouldn’t do anything.

So of course i figured there’s a certain amount of voodoo involved in all this.

• Ok so when I tried the cloning option I got the initial error:

Installing grub…
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels. This is not supported yet…
    grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged…
    grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

So I figure maybe grub was confused by the partitioning, so I ran the securely wipe disk option, but that didn’t seem to do anything and it failed with the same error. So at that point, I zero’d the first 20% of the drive and i’m looking at it with gnome-disks and it still showed the same, like disks wasn’t updating, so I restarted…

I was able to successfully clone the installed portergos at that point, and then from that system I ran cnchi and successfully installed antergos.

I really have not been able to get this to produce any other errors since that! sure, there’s the desktop being a bit funny sometimes and mouseover selecting windows can sometimes hide things behind other things, other than that Portergos works incredibly well, I can’t believe it. When I finish messing around with spitting out new systems to disk I will change it out for my laptop harddrive and get it set up as my main system.

So basically everything works almost exactly the way I need it to with this one small caveat- The installer (cloner) produces a system with my user/all the files it seems. Whats needed is to produce an .iso installer, or otherwise have a way that someone else can easily set the user after the install. I Haven’t tried making a new user on the installed system and using the installer from there, but i assume the remnants/evidince of my old user would still be in the sudoers file and perhaps various other places.

Hey I guess I could put /home on another disk, right? Then it wouldn’t clone my user and all the files. But then the .configs arent gonna be there for some of the installed programs, or I really don’t know. Multiuser stuff gets to be a pain, I never was able to run stuff as other users from debian or xubuntu in the past because of xauthority issues and I never tried with antergos. I’ll play around with this and see what I get. But yea definitely if it could make an .iso of the current install that would allow the user to be set when installing, even if it has to write it to another disk that would be 100% everything I could hope for.

• @Moe_Narrow said in PORTERGOS (Portable Antergos) - Offline/Online installer UNOFFICIAL:

Installing grub…
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels. This is not supported yet…
    grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged…
    grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
    So I figure maybe grub was confused by the partitioning, so I ran the securely wipe disk option, but that didn’t seem to do anything and it failed with the same error. So at that point, I zero’d the first 20% of the drive and i’m looking at it with gnome-disks and it still showed the same, like disks wasn’t updating, so I restarted…

Grub must be installed at the hd without number, i mean sda, sdb, sdc and not sda1, sdb3 etc. Maybe that’s what you did? I’ll give some tests here as soon as possible though.

I was able to successfully clone the installed portergos at that point, and then from that system I ran cnchi and successfully installed antergos.

Nice, in the new portergos version xfce4 will come with another theme (Xfce-dusk), on which cnchi runs without invisible fields. I3 and openbox will continue using NumixSolarized theme.

I really have not been able to get this to produce any other errors since that! sure

That’s a relief 😛

there’s the desktop being a bit funny sometimes and mouseover selecting windows can sometimes hide things behind other things, other than that Portergos works incredibly well, I can’t believe it. When I finish messing around with spitting out new systems to disk I will change it out for my laptop harddrive and get it set up as my main system.

You mean those weird screen stuff at start? I removed the resolution script fro xfce4 and openbox, probably will remove from i3 too. I’m making a “Central Utility”, very simple app to manage some things, and i’ll ad resolution too to make things easier.

The installer (cloner) produces a system with my user/all the files it seems. Whats needed is to produce an .iso installer, or otherwise have a way that someone else can easily set the user after the install.

Yes that’s the original goal, to really clone the system so the user could have all their apps and configs in another machine right after clone. For sure i can make an extra option that creates a new user and erase the old one, but i can’t garantee when will be ready. The user should be create in the installer or at first boot?

Hey I guess I could put /home on another disk, right? Then it wouldn’t clone my user and all the files.

No, it will clone all system paritions, including /home

But yea definitely if it could make an .iso

I guess that’s not possible, at least with my current knowledge. 😞

Thanks for all the report and compliments!

Portergos site

I3wm

• @fernandomaroto

You mean those weird screen stuff at start?

No it’s I think only on the i3 desktop.
    I actually like that the mouse location automatically selects the window where the keyboard input will go but when I was running cnchi and the popup windows that ask for confirmation would appear, if the mouse happens to go past the main cnchi window it puts the popup window behid the cnchi installer window, and there’s no way to get it to the foreground again because cnchi is stuck in the middle of the screen and can’t be moved or minimized.

however I can still control the selection on the popup window with the keyboard. So I can press enter to continue or use the arrow keys and then press enter if there’s more than one option to select from.

The self cloning utility is a fantastic piece of work, and everything does actually work well enough that I would suggest instead of polishing what is already very shiny that you should focus on how to do the user change for the new install.

The user should be create in the installer or at first boot?

Which is easier? Anything that makes it easier than a manual process would be graciously accepted.

I’m going to experiment to replace the user when I get this system configured enough to clone. I anticipate that I will have better feedback after trying it and seeing what goes wrong.

Let’s say I want to give a configured version of this OS (with just installed programs and browser configurations) to a friend or colleague. It would be nice if they could set their own user and password, but even if I set it for them in the installer, as long as it’s different from my credentials I’m fine with that.

I see a caveat here. If the system is installed and I give it to them before a user is set, I don’t have a way to make sure it works right before they use it, but if it’s set before then they might not get to choose their username and I will know their password until they figure out how to change it since I set it.

I think making the installed system it produce itself as an .iso would be probably very difficult (but what do I know?)

However, if you made the .iso a live system with persistence then could add all the software as the live user, right? and then the user gets set after the fact during the install.

So theres a couple different ways I can see this working. I might look at some different live arch based distros that have already implemented persistence to try to figure that out. If the persistence file was on a separate drive or USB, then it opens up the possibilities like having multiple hot-swappable configurations that the portergos .iso could pull from to do the install; and if there were even other separate usb drives that the .iso could pull the user’s configurations from, you would basically have a linux factory 😃

There’s so many paths to this end, I don’t expect anything anytime soon, however I would ask that you pick the one that is the easiest for you to do. Even if the interface is rough, all it has to do is work.

I can’t thank you enough again.
    Portergos = life changing

Let’s say I want to give a configured version of this OS (with just installed programs and browser configurations) to a friend or colleague. It would be nice if they could set their own user and password, but even if I set it for them in the installer, as long as it’s different from my credentials I’m fine with that.

the easiest solution is that you remove your created user, and then clone the system. Your friend should then boot the system as “root” and then create it’s own user. And finally boot next time with the new created user. I didn’t test, but i guess it works.

if the mouse happens to go past the main cnchi window it puts the popup window behid the cnchi installer window, and there’s no way to get it to the foreground again because cnchi is stuck in the middle of the screen and can’t be moved or minimized.

Press “windows key” and move the mouse with left mouse click. For floating windows you can use “windows key” and move with right mouse click to reduce and increase window size.

I can’t thank you enough again.
    Portergos = life changing

😛

Portergos site

I3wm

• @fernandomaroto
    What do you think about enabling the login menu to create new users, or at least 1 user?

I think what this could be going towards is almost like a computer that runs from multiple drives simultaneously while each can boot independantly they can run together as a team. If users were handled in a different way, and there was some sort of xen-like hypervisor I think it would be almost like a different take on qubesOS. More like nodes.

Have you ever looked at the zen kernel?

the easiest solution is that you remove your created user, and then clone the system. Your friend should then boot the system as “root” and then create it’s own user.

It gets tricky here, I know how to do that but I’m potentially configuring this for people who might not be proficient enough to do that on their own and I might not be around when they are booting it and trying to figure that out, how could I really write instructions for that that windows/iphone people could do?
    I think I can probably figure something out that will work for my situation with this. Portergos has already made this 10 times easier, and for that I am very appreciative

Also I couldn’t log in as the root user from the live .iso, didn’t know the password and couldn’t guess it.

What do you think about enabling the login menu to create new users, or at least 1 user?

I can, but that won’t help you, your old user will be copied together anyway. I really think that you should do as i described before.

Have you ever looked at the zen kernel?

Not really.

Portergos site

I3wm

• I now this is off topic by now, but I’m finally about to boot into Portergos @fernandomaroto😀. I’ve been so busy lately since I first downloaded your latest release, but I finally have some time.

Thank you for the great work you do here.

• @Keegan said in PORTERGOS (Portable Antergos) - Offline/Online installer UNOFFICIAL:

I now this is off topic by now, but I’m finally about to boot into Portergos @fernandomaroto😀. I’ve been so busy lately since I first downloaded your latest release, but I finally have some time.

Thank you for the great work you do here.

Thank you very much! I also want to congratulate you for RebornOS, is getting better and faster than previous versions 🙂

Portergos site

I3wm

• Thank you! I’m always trying to improve it - sometimes successfully and other times not so much😄. Just like you and Portergos I would assume…

P.S. firing it up right now!

Posts 139Views 12444
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.