• Is there an overhead having two windows managers ?

Hi, I’m new to Antergos switched because netbook Atom processor & 2 GIG RAM. I installed Antergos with XFCE and since installed LXDE. Is there an overhead having the choice of interface ? Would performance improve if I reinstall with openbox then apply LXDE ?

Thanks
    Gosman

• @Gosman You mean desktop environments instead of window managers? As far as I know it only takes up space on your drive, not influence the performance of your computer. You only run one at a time, so the answer for what I know is no.

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• @Gosman said in Is there an overhead having two windows managers ?:

Hi, I’m new to Antergos switched because netbook Atom processor & 2 GIG RAM. I installed Antergos with XFCE and since installed LXDE. Is there an overhead having the choice of interface ?

As @EarthMind says, simply no since you can only run one at a time.

Would performance improve if I reinstall with openbox then apply LXDE ?

No, but it would be a cleaner install. After some time, running different DEs under same account will eventually corrupt your system.

• After some time, running different DEs under same account will eventually corrupt your system.

I haven’t seen this happening. I have Xfce, Openbox, and LXDE installed in Arch. Seems fine having all three available, no performance issues.

• @MALsPa said in Is there an overhead having two windows managers ?:

After some time, running different DEs under same account will eventually corrupt your system.

I haven’t seen this happening. I have Xfce, Openbox, and LXDE installed in Arch. Seems fine having all three available, no performance issues.

I agree, also have multiple DEs for almost a year now, everything is fine :p

I was trying to avoid posting this, but YES it is possible to run multiple DEs, but on different ttys, and once again YES it will consume a lot of cpu. I did it once for fun, but i see no purpose doing that.
    If you are interested you can check here http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/using-multiple-window-managers-in-same.html

Let me try to be more practical: What do you wish in your DE that you’re not satisfied and trying to merge them?

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thank you everyone. I prefer XFCE but seem to get better performance with LXDE, now I can keep both and run which ever pleases me on the day.

windows37 managers2 overhead1 Posts 6Views 223