• Is there an overhead having two windows managers ?

Hi, I’m new to Antergos switched because netbook Atom processor & 2 GIG RAM. I installed Antergos with XFCE and since installed LXDE. Is there an overhead having the choice of interface ? Would performance improve if I reinstall with openbox then apply LXDE ?

Thanks
    Gosman

• @Gosman You mean desktop environments instead of window managers? As far as I know it only takes up space on your drive, not influence the performance of your computer. You only run one at a time, so the answer for what I know is no.

• @Gosman said in Is there an overhead having two windows managers ?:

Hi, I’m new to Antergos switched because netbook Atom processor & 2 GIG RAM. I installed Antergos with XFCE and since installed LXDE. Is there an overhead having the choice of interface ?

As @EarthMind says, simply no since you can only run one at a time.

Would performance improve if I reinstall with openbox then apply LXDE ?

No, but it would be a cleaner install. After some time, running different DEs under same account will eventually corrupt your system.

• After some time, running different DEs under same account will eventually corrupt your system.

I haven’t seen this happening. I have Xfce, Openbox, and LXDE installed in Arch. Seems fine having all three available, no performance issues.

• @MALsPa said in Is there an overhead having two windows managers ?:

After some time, running different DEs under same account will eventually corrupt your system.

I haven’t seen this happening. I have Xfce, Openbox, and LXDE installed in Arch. Seems fine having all three available, no performance issues.

I agree, also have multiple DEs for almost a year now, everything is fine 😛

I was trying to avoid posting this, but YES it is possible to run multiple DEs, but on different ttys, and once again YES it will consume a lot of cpu. I did it once for fun, but i see no purpose doing that.
    If you are interested you can check here http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/using-multiple-window-managers-in-same.html

Let me try to be more practical: What do you wish in your DE that you’re not satisfied and trying to merge them?

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thank you everyone. I prefer XFCE but seem to get better performance with LXDE, now I can keep both and run which ever pleases me on the day.

windows57 managers2 overhead1 Posts 6Views 659
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.