• Bumblebee or not on a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA Optimus

Installation on a MacBook Pro with install of proprietary drivers works.
    Installation on a MacBook Pro without install of proprietary drivers, and like mentioned in the Bumblebee wiki page, installing Bumblebee after doesn’t work.

So, installing Antergos on a MacBook Pro with proprietary drivers works out of the box.
    But the Bumblebee wiki page was confusing me and i tried a clean install without proprietary drivers, and after install tried to install Bumblebee following the Bumblebee wiki page.
    https://antergos.com/wiki/uncategorized/bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus/
    Then my system wasn’t working anymore, so again clean install.

My questions:
    Does somebody has running Bumblebee on a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA Optimus card and how?
    Is Bumblebee and the Bumblebee wiki page not for MacBook Pro with NVIDIA Optimus card?

MacBook Pro with Optimus Intel + NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GPU’s

• @bartatantergos said in Bumblebee or not on a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA Optimus:

…Is Bumblebee and the Bumblebee wiki page not for MacBook Pro with NVIDIA Optimus card?..

The Bumblebee for NVIDIA Optimus Antergos Wiki article was written and is being continuously tested on PCs laptops only. It was never tested on or applyed to Mac-s. The author doesn’t have Mac hardware.

Edit 1/2

I’ll try to add a warning about it to the article. The article exceeds allowed limit - 2500 words - so before adding a new phrase another must be removed. A difficult choice.

Edit 2/2

Done.

• @just Thanks, when i have time i will try the bumblebee wiki again out on a MBP.
    When i get it working i will make a seperate wiki.

To all:
    Which command line to check which CPU card/drivers are used at a moment?
    Answers on the net aren’t working and giving me a xorg.conf isn’t existing or something like that.

• As I never had a Mac hardware, I don’t know how Nvidia Optimus works on it. On PC laptops it works in two different ways, depending on whether Prime or Bumblebee is in use.

When Prime is used, an X session is started either on Intel or on Nvidia GPU. There’s no way to switch from one GPU to another during a single X session with Prime. The whole session runs on a GPU, choosen at startup. To use another GPU, X session must be exited and started again.

When Bumblebee is used, an X session runs always on Intel GPU. It is switched off and changed to Nvidia GPU only by optirun prefix. Any command, program, application, launched with optirun prefix, runs entirely on Nvidia. When a command, program, application exits - optirun terminates - the system is immediately switched back from Nvidia to Intel.

Simply speaking, when optirun starts, it switches Intel off and Nvidia on. When optirun exits, it switches Nvidia off and Intel on.

Due to poor performance, nouveau is not supported anymore by Bumblebee. Bumblebee concentrates on using proprietary Nvidia drivers only. Nouveau drivers may be still used with Prime.

The inxi utility is capable to figure out on which GPU it is running.

Install inxi and one auxiliary package:

sudo pacman -Syu inxi mesa-demos

I’m on Optimus laptop with Bumblebee now, so it must run on Intel by default and inxi should report it:

┌──[just]@[alexasp]:~$
    └─> inxi -Gxzc0
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,intel)
               Resolution: [email protected]
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile version: 3.3 Mesa 17.1.5 Direct Render: Yes
    └─>

Yes, inxi reports that Intel OpenGL renderer using Mesa is active:

OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile version: 3.3 Mesa 17.1.5 Direct Render: Yes

Now I simply prefix inxi with optirun. Nothing else changes in the command. Optirun switches Intel off and makes inxi run on Nvidia:

└─> optirun inxi -Gxzc0
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,intel)
               Resolution: [email protected]
               OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.59 Direct Render: Yes
    └─>

Does inxi run on Nvidia?, Yes, it is clearly reporsted:

OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.59 Direct Render: Yes

Inxi runs on GeForce GT 555M card and uses proprietary 384.59 Nvidia driver.

Bumblebee doesn’t use the classic /etx/X11/xorg.conf file. Instead, tt uses two its own config files:

• /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nouveau
    • /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia

If a classic /etx/X11/xorg.conf file is present, it immediately breaks Bumblebee configuration. The file may be created by running nvidia-xconfig utility - a perfect Bumblebee killer.

Because Bumblebee for NVIDIA Optimus article has reached the max allowed limit of 2500 words a long time ago, I simply cannot add this information to it.

• @just Thanks for this (again) clear explanation. Are you a teacher?
    Maybe put this as a side page linked to the Bumblebee wiki page?
    Will try this out in some hours.

• @bartatantergos said in Bumblebee or not on a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA Optimus:

Thanks for this (again) clear explanation.

Rem tene, verba sequentur.

Are you a teacher?

[offtopic]

No, I’m not a teacher. Though people told me many times that I should do this job. Started as simple programmer on IBM mainframes about 35 years ago, after graduating from the 1st univercity. Continuing to work, graduated from the 2nd univercity. My official job title now is Senior Systems Analyst. PCs are mainly a tool to access a mainframe. And a hobby at home.

Yes, I was invited and have conducted a few IT courses during these years in various european univercities. But it wasn’t my main job.

I’m not obsessed by idea to write as much Wiki articles as possible. Prefer to do one job, one article - but to do it well. Who wants to learn, will learn on their own.

I’m tired of computers. I’d like to retire, forget about computers, and play only with Android.

[/offtopic]

Regards

• @just Ok, understand all well, hope you will get retired soon. ;-)
    Only the “Who wants to learn, will learn on their own.” part looks weird on a forum with a lot of people from i learned so much already.
    But otherwise i know; at the end we have todo it by ourself.

Yes, Android, for the moment i am trying to get MaruOS (Android/Debian Jessie) on my Nexus phone. Maybe, when i get that working and find time and have collected the knowledge (will take one year more:-), i will try to get Antergos/Arch running in MaruOS.

But this is future thinking and also off topic.

Posts 7Views 277