• Can't get my scanner to work

I have a multi-function printer. HP Officejet Pro 8600 that includes a scanner and is networked. I have hplip installed and was able to set it up using hp-setup -i. I am able to print at least a test page, I have not tried an actual document yet. I also installed simple-scan but when I start it I get an error indicating that I don’t have a scanner. Cups administration is able to access the printer, localhost:631. I also have installed all sane packages as well as xsane. What else do I need to do? I also have a hdd that has Arch installed and am able to use the scanner running that system with the same PC.

• I have a multi-function printer. HP Officejet Pro 8600 that includes a scanner and is networked. I have hplip installed and was able to set it up using hp-setup -i. I am able to print at least a test page, I have not tried an actual document yet. I also installed simple-scan but when I start it I get an error indicating that I don’t have a scanner. Cups administration is able to access the printer, localhost:631. I also have installed all sane packages as well as xsane. What else do I need to do? I also have a hdd that has Arch installed and am able to use the scanner running that system with the same PC.

• Hi,

please run

[code:1t2racot]hp-check[/code:1t2racot]
    in terminal and see if maybe some packages or depencies are missing.

• @“pseudonym”:7h3znrt2 said:

Hi,

please run

[code:7h3znrt2]hp-check[/code:7h3znrt2]
    in terminal and see if maybe some packages or depencies are missing.[/quote:7h3znrt2]

Thank you, that did the trick, I couldn’t remember that tool, but I do remember using it way back when. That told me what was missing and then I ran hp-doctor to fix it all. Simple-scan is now happy, so I’m happy, almost like “Happy wife equals happy life!”

• ok, i am happy to hear that.

Posts 5Views 1084