• KDE shares its future vision for Plasma

KDE has a plan. The recent Akademy 2017, in addition to bringing together project and free software enthusiasts in general, has also let you know the current status of the Plasma desktop and the KDE medium-term objectives.

An article by Sebastian Kügler presents this vision of the KDE team for the near future and the most recent milestones achieved in its development. Also the best definition I’ve seen of a desktop in a long time:

Plasma is a working environment for different kinds of devices, where confidence is put in the user’s ability to better define their own workflow and preferences.

Plasma is simple by default, a clean work area for use in the real world, it tries to stay out of your way.

Plasma is powerful when needed, allowing the user to create the most effective work process to complete their tasks.

Plasma never dictates the needs of the user, only strives to solve them. Plasma never defines what the user is allowed to do, just makes sure he can.

Our motivation is to allow the real work to happen, through devices, across different platforms, using any application that is necessary.

We build to be durable, we create to be usable, we design to be elegant.

After reading that, if it were not because I already have it installed, I would install it again. My less poetic view of the subject and as simple user, is that we are before a desk that without being perfect has reached an exceptional point of maturity.

It is difficult to find a major bug and since Plasma 5 has demonstrated its potential in multiple facets: now moves light and consumes as an Xfce, while it can be simple and diaphanous to GNOME Shell or anything complicated as you want. It is less prone to crashes and includes LTS versions of the desktop, but without relegating the technological potential of an advanced desktop.

Plasma 5 has kept the good things of KDE for a lifetime (that Krunner for example), but constantly innovating with new applications and frameworks (KDE Connect, Kirigami, Plasma Vault). And in any case, in this desk if something you do not like you can change it easily.

Also it is perceived that the community of users and developers is very united, does not give the impression that the desires of some go in a direction opposite to the rest.

But what I think - a gnomero of all the life and so of last - is not the important thing. Here is a summary of Sebastian Kugler’s article; Of those things that have caught my attention the most.

First of the last milestones achieved:
    KDE shares its future vision for Plasma
    AGO 03, 2017by TANNHAUSSERin GNU / LINUX

KDE has a plan. The recent Akademy 2017, in addition to bringing together project and free software enthusiasts in general, has also let you know the current status of the Plasma desktop and the KDE medium-term objectives.

An article by Sebastian Kügler presents this vision of the KDE team for the near future and the most recent milestones achieved in its development. Also the best definition I’ve seen of a desktop in a long time:

Plasma is a working environment for different kinds of devices, where confidence is put in the user’s ability to better define their own workflow and preferences.

Plasma is simple by default, a clean work area for use in the real world, it tries to stay out of your way.

Plasma is powerful when needed, allowing the user to create the most effective work process to complete their tasks.

Plasma never dictates the needs of the user, only strives to solve them. Plasma never defines what the user is allowed to do, just makes sure he can.

Our motivation is to allow the real work to happen, through devices, across different platforms, using any application that is necessary.

We build to be durable, we create to be usable, we design to be elegant.

After reading that, if it were not because I already have it installed, I would install it again. My less poetic view of the subject and as simple user, is that we are before a desk that without being perfect has reached an exceptional point of maturity.

It is difficult to find a major bug and since Plasma 5 has demonstrated its potential in multiple facets: now moves light and consumes as an Xfce, while it can be simple and diaphanous to GNOME Shell or anything complicated as you want. It is less prone to crashes and includes LTS versions of the desktop, but without relegating the technological potential of an advanced desktop.

Plasma 5 has kept the good things of KDE for a lifetime (that Krunner for example), but constantly innovating with new applications and frameworks (KDE Connect, Kirigami, Plasma Vault). And in any case, in this desk if something you do not like you can change it easily.

Also it is perceived that the community of users and developers is very united, does not give the impression that the desires of some go in a direction opposite to the rest.

But what I think - a gnomero of all the life and so of last - is not the important thing. Here is a summary of Sebastian Kugler’s article; Of those things that have caught my attention the most.

First of the last milestones achieved:

A predictable version of KDE Plasma as the latest 5.8 LTS, which offers a couple of years of support, for those who value stability. The next LTS edition will be Plasma 5.12 (January 2018).
    The re-launch of the KDE Store now allows developers to receive donations directly from users.
    New testing tools, and the availability of daily creative images.
    There has been progress on the arrival of the Wayland graphics server protocol, but it still needs more testing and solving some compatibility issues with Nvidia hardware.
    Volume encryption using Plasma Vault. Lately, we are working on integrating with KDE Activities so that we can choose to use them in different environments.
    Here are some exciting news that await us in the very near future:

Support Plasma on mobile devices through Halium. It is very incipient project, but after a few months of development is able to run Plasma Mobile on a Nexus 5. After the withdrawal of Ubuntu and Firefox OS from the mobile market, KDE should be in charge of leading the alternative to Android and iOS (I personally think Sailfish also has something to say on the subject).
    In some way related to the above -for that of convergence-, we have Kirigami: a framework that allows the creation of applications adaptable to different devices. Beginning this August, it should already be integrated into KDE Frameworks 5. Examples of applications built already with Kirigami are Discover (the Plasma software center) and the Subsurface Mobile dive application, available for Android systems.
    More work on a Wayland than it should bring us security improvements and better graphics performance with less tearing and more FPS. Support for HiDPI displays and touch screens on convertible devices is also in focus
    The web browser is a fundamental part of any desktop. The intention is to improve their integration in KDE. Aspects like the multimedia control or the support with KDE Connect.
    And as you see in the image that opens the post, it seems that the interface of System Preferences, is in the process of redesign and will add a new view mode to the current (tree and icons).
    If you want to know more about the subject I recommend that you take a look at the article by Sebastian Kügler: https://dot.kde.org/2017/08/02/plasma-rocks-akademy - http://vizzzion.org/stuff/plasma/akademy2017plasma-state-of-the-union.pdf

Source: https://lamiradadelreplicante.com/

• @judd good post and thanks for sharing but is there a question in here? The OP has unsolved in the title.

Sys01: Antergos + Mate; GTX 1070 + nvidia package :)
    Sys02: Antergos + Mate on Surface Pro 3

• @n_mag said in KDE shares its future vision for Plasma:

@judd good post and thanks for sharing but is there a question in here? The OP has unsolved in the title.

:ok_hand_tone1:

Posts 3Views 228