• Always boot to LTS instructions or option?

Hi,

Can you please provide simple instructions, or even better an option somewhere easily reachable, to always boot into LTS kernel?

Right now, in case of both latest and LTS kernel installed, default option is the latest.

Thank you!

• yes ;)
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-make-grub-boot-different-kernels-by-default/
    But as far as i know the simple way is to uninstall the standard kernel and have only LTS installed, and update grub.cfg with:

$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Thanks, Joe!
    To quote the link you shared with us:
    “My suggestion for the @developers : Make the LTS kernel the default, if this kernel is selected during installation (ask the user eventually if he wants it). Get rid of the submenu, keep things simple, list all the kernel options without Grub-submenus.”

This would be my suggestion, too.

• i quote for this too! as also LTS Kernel is suitable for most systems.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• You can just add GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y to /etc/default/grub to disable submenu.

• Guys, I’ve tried setting grub default = 2 in grub config and it didn’t work. I have classic dual boot install and four options in the linux submenu - normal, normal fallback, lts, lts fallback. How the heck do I know which value is lts only, if 2 does not work?
    Also, when I tried classic sudo gedit it didn’t work because of wayland so I had to seek for a solution and its that xhost +local: && sudo gedit …
    my point here is this is too complex, please solve thru interface. This will make linux antergos accessible for more people…

• I too think it’s a good Idea to load the LTS Kernel by default if it is selected during install. As a matter of fact, when I clicked on it during the install, it’s exactly what I thought I would get: An LTS kernel only. Turns out I got the latest kernel, loading as default, with LTS as an option only.

Clarity is a rare thing in the world of Linux, I wonder why?

The flazzum you spizz, the zoider you splat!

• @Zoidmo exactly this would be the best option here… can be explained on the choosing button discription and users will be fine with this…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• btw, you can remove main kernel safely pacman -R linux if you have linux-lts kernel already installed. Then, run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to make sure grub updated.

You will boot into linux-lts after this by default.

In any case, being able to manage kernels on high level is a good skill to have when using a rolling release distro. I am actually happy that arch linux (also antergos) gives some flexibility on this.

• Oh, I don’t mind living on the edge! ;) @psscnp142 , But I was mislead during install is all, and I thought I’d play it safe and do some investigating first, before hosing my new OS.

But that happened anyhow: Grub install messed up big time (Long story).

• psscnp142 we don’t want to delete the latest kernel. it’s good to have it for test, and also redundancy in case something messes the LTS.

Therefore, solution needs to be Elegant, and Simple, from the distro developers.

If I select LTS during install, then LTS it is, and latest is a backup.

If I install only latest, and later during the use stage decide to use LTS there should be an option, inside the update app (perhaps), which once clicked installs LTS and set it as default.

• No human user should edit grub config in 2017.

• Hello all!
    i guess the grub menu should be changed, for example the first option (counting start with 0, so second option) is usually “Advanced options” where LTS kernel is contained + another options. That means you can’t set the system to boot LTS directly by configurin the grub.cfg cause it’s hiden inside the Advanced Options" menu.
    So we need a way to display all grub options in the very first screen.
    @joekamprad always recommend grub2-editor i never used so not sure if you can set LTS to boot there, but it’s worth a try.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @gozo I agree with keeping ones options open.

No human should have to eat grubs either, but in emergency situations they do. This was one of those cases! Thanks to “Grub Customizer” a GUI app, it was easy and painless.

Now I am faced with setting up users and groups and relationships between them, and have run into a wall AKA “The Arch Way”. An archway is something one should be able to just step through, but that is not the case here, and I now have to school myself on what exactly the differences are, before I can proceed.

No human should have to learn how to build an entire roller coaster let alone understand a screw driver, to take a 3 minute joy ride! The common conception amongst Linux developers, and power users that one has to learn the inner workings in detail, before one can even get started using a computer, is greatly flawed. Sure it helps to know more details of what you are working with, but “Working” being the key word: as an electrician I put in components and controls… the user did not have to learn any more than how to flip a switch or turn a knob.

• Did this thread got to Antergos developers?
    Do you guys Understand us?

Thanks in advance -

• Yes i add the @developers to first post, so they get notification.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• You are the man, Joe.

• https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/784

To be honest, this is going a bit crazy lately… we (devs) wouldn’t mind welcome somebody versed in python into our team… bugs are piling up and we also have a lot of system “maintenance” to do (packagers are also welcomed!). So please, bear with us and be patient with these issues that are not really that urgent (but I agree they are important).

EDIT offtopic: On thing that would help us is to warn us when you detect that a package in our repo is outdated. ;)

• @karasu I will add this next time, when i force your attention on such things!
    I am sorry that my python skills are not ready for helping out, but i try my best to learn!!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

Posts 19Views 755