• System hangs sporadically

Hi,

I hope I’m posting this in the right forum. For some reason, my system freezes at random intervals. It recovers, but it takes a loooong time, like over a minute.

When it does this, everything apart from the mouse cursor becomes unresponsive. Whatever I’m watching or listening to stops, or rather, hangs. The programs themselves don’t crash or anything. They continue doing their thing once whatever is happening, stops. I tried looking at htop through the console with Ctrl+Alt+F2, but nothing stood out. Nothing seems to have been eating up my CPU or memory. This is what frustrates me the most: I have no idea what I should be looking for.

I have updated the system and it didn’t seem to help. I am running the KDE desktop environment.
    Here are my hardware specs:

https://ghostbin.com/paste/7wb6f
    Not showing up in the list is nVidia Geforce GTX 965M, which comes in the Acer V17 Nitro laptop I’m using.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• @onlooker
    Hi!
    Are you running some script, specially the ones with loop and sleep functions?
    Or running some program through terminal wihtout the & as background option?

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Hi!
    No, I haven’t any scripts set up and apart occasionally installing stuff through pacman or editing a file through vim I’m not running any programs in the terminal.

• @onlooker
    ok
    Are yu using energy settings like poweroff monitor, suspend pc etc?

Other thing. Do you have dual boot with windows?
    Anyway, try to disable “fast boot” in your bios in case your bios allow you to do that…

Other than that i guess i can’t help you further and let’s for someone else with more knowledge.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @onlooker

When it happens again, open a terminal (when you’re able to) and check the system log with journalctl -e.

It’s just to see if something is showing up there…

Post it here (the very last part, check the time) so we can see it

Cheers!

• Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I have tried disabling fast boot, but couldn’t see much of a difference. I do not dual boot with windows, my laptop has only Antergos linux installed.

The system did hang again and as suggested, I ran journalctl -e. Below is the log. I cut out everything 5 minutes prior to the incident, but should you need it, I’m happy to provide that as well.

https://ghostbin.com/paste/fcdre

• Hi,

Does it always happens when you’re using the tor browser?

Do you happen to use another DE than Plasma? This would help discarding things.

To be honest, I do not use Plasma at all, so I’m not sure if the errors I see are normal or not.

Could this bug be related?

Which graphics card are you using? There they comment that using DRI 3 helps (if it is the same issue).

For nouveau, create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-dri3.conf
    with these contents:

Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Videocard0"
            Driver      "nouveau"
            Option      "DRI" "3"

For radeon (amd) create the same file with these contents:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Radeon"
        Driver "radeon"
        Option "DRI" "3"
    EndSection

• I’m not sure about the Tor Browser. I happened to be using it at the time, but I can’t remember if it was open during other instances.

I do not use DEs other than Plasma on this laptop. As for the graphics card, my computer has two: most of the time I use Intel HD 530, except when I’m gaming which is when I use GeForce 965M through bumblebee. When using the GeForce card, nVidia proprietary drivers are used.

On a side note: I haven’t really done anything, but the hangups seemed to have stopped for some reason. I haven’t had a hiccup for days now.

system66 hangs15 sporadically1 Posts 8Views 260