• \[SOLVED\] why is antergos so light?

I am pleasantly surprised at Antergos light use of RAM and resources from my desktop. Is this what Arch systems are about? can someone please explain how a seemingly full featured Linux distro uses about half as much as RAM as other distros?

Is it perhaps because nothing is installed?

TIA

• I am pleasantly surprised at Antergos light use of RAM and resources from my desktop. Is this what Arch systems are about? can someone please explain how a seemingly full featured Linux distro uses about half as much as RAM as other distros?

Is it perhaps because nothing is installed?

TIA

• what desktop are you using?

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• “Is it perhaps because nothing is installed?”

That’s not it! We provide some basic apps. As Max is asking, it could depend on which DE are you using…

And yes, Arch and Arch derived distros tend to be more responsive than others.

• Thanks for your replies. I’m running GNOME 3.12.2 - and it only uses 450 megs of RAM including the Chromium browser. With Ubuntu, I would be using at least 1 gig+. I understand that Ubuntu, even in its stock form is full of bell and whistles which use RAM, but it is a big difference. Perfectly happy with this though.

Everyone says Arch is the way to go, I’m starting to see why.

• 450MB? That’s quite good, mine runs at around 1.3GB on average (gnome also)

• I just updated to the 64bit version. It too uses 1.4 GiB of RAM with GNOME, on a pretty much standard install. Oh well… as Emily Litella would say: “Never Mind” :<)

Posts 7Views 1478