• How to switch keyboard language during installation

Hi,

I am trying to install Antergos for the first time. I am using the GUI installer. I selected Hebrew on the keyboard layout screen, and now I have reached the screen to enter a user name and password, and I can ONLY enter Hebrew! I choose Hebrew because my keyboard has also Hebrew, not because I want to use it exclusively! How do I switch to English on the setup screens? Or for that matter, how would I switch languages after I installed?

Thanks

• @psscnp142 said in How to switch keyboard language during installation:

@bmburstein See here,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_configuration_in_Xorg

@psscnp142 That link explains how to switch keyboard layouts from the terminal, or how to set a key-combo for switching layouts. That is not the problem I am having. Let me explain in detail:
    I started the live desktop from the usb. It starts with only one language (English), so no configuration needed. I immediately started the installer. I chose English as the installer language, English, Hebrew (IL) as the location, set my timezone, chose Hebrew as my keyboard layout (that means I have a keyboard with both English and Hebrew), chose a DE, chose which apps to install, chose a partitioning scheme and finally reached the screen where I need to enter my name, username and password. This is where I have a problem! I can only type in Hebrew at this screen. I can’t figure out how to switch the language here! I wan’t my username and password in English.

I hope this explains the problem.

• Hi bmburstein,

You can set your keyboard-layouts in the gnome-control-center if you are using the non-minimal-iso.
    In the settings window click on “Region and Language” and add two Input Sources with the + button. In your case that would be Hebrew and English.
    After that, an input selector appears in the panel with which you can change your keyboard-layout at any time.

Edit: okay, I tested it in a VM, but it seems like cnchi ignores these settings… maybe it will be easier to install antergos in english and change the keyboard layout later.

• @Talvi said in How to switch keyboard language during installation:

Edit: okay, I tested it in a VM, but it seems like cnchi ignores these settings… maybe it will be easier to install antergos in english and change the keyboard layout later.

That is what I ended up doing. It is very counter-intuitive, though, and should probably be fixed (I don’t know where to suggest this for fixing)

• On accident you can change all this manual after installation:

Uncomment needed localizations in /etc/locale.gen, and generate them with:

# sudo locale-gen

Set the LANG variable in locale.conf(5) accordingly, for example:

/etc/locale.conf
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8

If you set the keyboard layout, make the changes persistent in vconsole.conf(5):

/etc/vconsole.conf
    KEYMAP=de-latin1

This can be done from TTY2 without any DE running or from terminal too

Posts 6Views 1106
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.