I installed antergos from live USB choosing ZFS in the Cnchi GUI. The system is up and running and I’m glad because that alone is a success for me. Now I read a lot already that ZFS is mainly for NAS, RAID, Server configs etc. (and I totally see and understand why). So while this is absolutely not my case I still want to try it on my desktop for it’s supposedly superiority to BTRFS in terms of stability (even more so regarding power outages [a major concern for me where I live]), performance and handling.

Now I’m completely new to COW and snapshots even in BTRFS but I don’t consider them to be easy to understand at all even if there’s only two commands to master in case of ZFS.

What I have in my machine:

• A Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD (sda) configured completely by Cnchi:
NAME                  MOUNTPOINT
# lsblk
sda1                  /boot/efi
sda2                  /boot
sda3
# zfs list
antergos_6g9t         /
antergos_6g9t/swap
  • A WDC WD30EZRX 3TB HDD (sdb) configured by myself:
NAME    FSTYPE        MOUNTPOINT
sdb1    vfat
sdb2    ext4          /run/media/username/masstorage
sdb3    ext4          /home
sdb4    ext4          /run/media/username/snapshots

What I want to achieve

As you can see I set up my non-OS disc to hold a partition for lots of data (work, movies, music etc.) one for home and one for snapshots. The sdb1 is supposed to be a possible ESP because:

• I want to incremental snapshot root to sdb4
  • I want to be able to boot from those snapshots
  • I want to be able to restore those snapshots to sda if I break my root

Questions

• What are the every-day commands I need to use to accomplish the above? (Almost any guide on the web is NAS and RAID related)
  • Is ext4 ok for /home to combine with ZFS root?
  • Is there a completely different approach to this? (Take note I don’t want to lose the partition for data storage on sdb [but then again I could just create a pool for that could I?])
  • Is there a way to rename the root pool to just antergos…?

Any help, comment or suggestion is highly appreciated.