• HDMI port not detected

Hello Antergos users!

After a recent boot, my computer no longer detects my HDMI port, and so I cannot use any exterior screens at work or at home. This is obviously very annoying.

Setup

Model: Lenovo Y50-70 laptop
    Graphics: I use Intel integrated graphics (built-in NVIDIA card disabled in BIOS and no drivers installed)
    DE: Gnome on Wayland

Symptoms

• No signal coming to the external monitor
    • No HDMI port detected at all, see below:
    [[email protected] ~]$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
    XWAYLAND0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 340mm x 190mm
       1920x1080     59.96*+

Things I have tried

• Reboot
    • Turn off computer, plug in screen and reboot
    • Enabled switchable graphics in BIOS
    • Switch from linux-lts kernel to linux, reboot, swap back, reboot.
    • Tested the monitor and HDMI cable with another computer (they’re fine)
    • Looked through all upgraded packages since last boot where it worked: No kernel or driver updates.

P.S

I also had this problem about one month ago. Back then, switching from linux 4.10 to linux-lts 4.9 instantly solved the problem. The problem has now appeared on my linux-lts.

This is just pure pain. If anyone could help me I’d very much appreciate it.

Update

The problem spontaneously disappeared the day after. Still not really solved, though, as I can only wait for when it happens next.

• @Jakobnissen I am not sure why this is the case but you can always switch back to older kernel quite easily.

You can use downgrade tool from AUR. Just select the version you want to go back to. After that, you need to add the package in ignorepkg, say linux-lts, under /etc/pacman.conf. Dont forget to downgrade the linux-lts-header to same version as well.

• @Jakobnissen said in HDMI port not detected:

Hello Antergos users!

After a recent boot, my computer no longer detects my HDMI port, and so I cannot use any exterior screens at work or at home. This is obviously very annoying.

Setup

Model: Lenovo Y50-70 laptop
    Graphics: I use Intel integrated graphics (built-in NVIDIA card disabled in BIOS and no drivers installed)
    DE: Gnome on Wayland

Symptoms

• No signal coming to the external monitor
    • No HDMI port detected at all, see below:
    [[email protected] ~]$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
    XWAYLAND0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 340mm x 190mm
       1920x1080     59.96*+

Things I have tried

• Reboot
    • Turn off computer, plug in screen and reboot
    • Enabled switchable graphics in BIOS
    • Switch from linux-lts kernel to linux, reboot, swap back, reboot.
    • Tested the monitor and HDMI cable with another computer (they’re fine)
    • Looked through all upgraded packages since last boot where it worked: No kernel or driver updates.

P.S

I also had this problem about one month ago. Back then, switching from linux 4.10 to linux-lts 4.9 instantly solved the problem. The problem has now appeared on my linux-lts.

This is just pure pain. If anyone could help me I’d very much appreciate it.

For me, it is definitely a kernel bug, as in other cases it happens with the touchpad and different hardware things …

• @judd Thanks for the help, but weirdly this problem appeared on my computer several days after the latest linux-lts upgrade. I’ll give downgrading it a try.

Posts 4Views 254