• Easy Way To Disable GPU Without Bumblebee?

Hi Guys. I’d like to know if there are any alternative ways to disable or turn off my GPU (GTX 750M) without using Bumblebee. I’ve had a lot of problems with getting it up and running (there seems to be a bug with my specific hardware) and there is often a lot of driver compatibility errors that I don’t really want to deal with. I don’t need dynamic switching because I don’t need the GPU and most intensive thing I do is stream videos. All my heavy power stuff is on Windows like Premiere, Photoshop, and light gaming.

Is there a simple painless way for me to just disable it without messing with driver compatibility issues and all sorts of other problems.

Ubuntu ~ Debian ~ Fedora ~ Antergos
    Dell XPS 15 9530

• @mach01dan said in Easy Way To Disable GPU Without Bumblebee?:

Is there a simple painless way for me to just disable it without messing with driver compatibility issues and all sorts of other problems.

sudo pacman -S xf86-video-intel
    sudo pacman -Rcnsu xf86-video-nouveau

• @just Thanks for the quick response. Just to confirm, this should disable the GPU, only use the intel graphics, and have no Nouveau driver issues?

Sorry if this is an idiot question (probably) but I’ve had a lot of issues getting this to work, and the driver issues pretty much mess up my system completely.

Dell XPS 15 9530

Just to confirm, this should disable the GPU, only use the intel graphics, and have no Nouveau driver issues?

Not exactly. Nvidia GPU is never enabled in Optimus computers by default. I.e., it is always switched off by default. Removing nouveau driver just ensures that it will be never switched on. (Re)installing intel driver ensures that you won’t remain without any video driver at all.

I speak only about Optimus computers which discrete video card (Nvidia) doesn’t controlled directly from BIOS.

• Perfect, thanks so much for your insight. I never knew before now that the discrete GPU is disabled by default before today! It would be really nice if that was documented on the Arch Wiki Nvidia pages. xD

Dell XPS 15 9530

It would be really nice if that was documented on the Arch Wiki Nvidia pages.

Thanks for suggestion. I don’t maintain Arch Wiki Nvidia pages anymore, but I’ll add this info to Antergos Wiki Nvidia page.

bumblebee30 gpu11 easy2 disable11 Posts 6Views 185