• Issues I have encountered

Hi guys, I have been trying out your distribution. And I’m sorry to say that even when it looked promising and incredibly beautiful, I found some errors that diverted me from using it.

I’m sharing with you in case you find it useful:

1 - INSTALLATION

During the installation process, after choosing the desktop environment, the next step was blank an unable to proceed further. Reeboting and launching the live USB again allowed to continue.

Root fix could be adopting a widely used installer, and extending it upstream as needed. Experience proves that the more portable an application is the greater quality it usually has, because there’s more people interested in fixing it.

2 - LAUNCH SPEED

Many GNOME applications took noticeably long to launch, even in a powerful computer using an SSD. There should be some bug on the code triggering that.

Root fix could be smoke testing launch times of applications, and not upgrading those that took too much to do.

3 - LOG OUT

Loging out from the GNOME desktop lead consistently to a broken display manager, with the entire screen in black.

Root fix could be having both a testing and a stable branch, and upgrade both weekly instead of daily.

Weekly the testing branch is promoted to stable, so people using testing could notice integration problems before the upgrade is widespread.

Good luck!

• Hmmm… I have never noticed any of the things you are describing here. Perhaps it is related to your hardware? (Although I do agree that if this is happening to some people, it should be looked into as soon as possible).

Thanks!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antergos-deepin
    https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @es20490446e , hi and welcome to Antergos. As a new user it is useful to understand a few things about it, first. Antergos is using the Arch Linux repos directly. It does not change anything. So, it gets the same updates as Arch, at the exact very time and when something is wrong with Arch the same happens to Antergos. Antergos only keeps a repo of its own, but you can actually find ready-to-use programs from the AUR and stuff about its looks mostly, there. So, this is a very brief info about the software. Going to your issues:

@es20490446e said

During the installation process, after choosing the desktop environment, the next step was blank an unable to proceed further. Reeboting and launching the live USB again allowed to continue.

Two important factors here:

1. A good Internet connection (cable is better as wifi may be unstable).
    2. Let the installer take enough time to update itself, as it has to bring the very latest packages (which might have changed since you created the live iso).
      In case of a failure it is NECESSARY to reboot, a simple re-implementation or logout won t have any effect.

@es20490446e said i

adopting a widely used installer, and extending it upstream as needed

FYI, Manjaro have adopted our installer. It is now considered stable. Most of the issues reported are either hardware-related or faulty mirrors

@es20490446e said i

Many GNOME applications took noticeably long to launch, even in a powerful computer using an SSD. There should be some bug on the code triggering that.

Please, give spesific info. Which apps? (again remember that Antergos does not get in the middle in any way, the issue should be either upstream or hardware related).).

Looking forward to resolving your issues.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• A good Internet connection.

Both my Internet and Wifi never give any problems:
    Speed
    Health

Let the installer take enough time to update itself.

Before proceeding with the first step of installation, the pop up said that the installer was already up to date.

Most of the issues reported are either hardware-related or faulty mirrors.

Well, a faulty mirrors shall not crash the installer. And my hardware runs fully on libre drivers, never gives any problems in Linux.

Which apps?

Cheese was one, and there was a second one that I don’t remember.

• Hi again. Let s have a go, then…
    @es20490446e said

Loging out from the GNOME desktop lead consistently to a broken display manager, with the entire screen in black.

Which DM (Desktop Manager are you using? LighDM? In such a case, try also the native Gnome gdm.

1. Install it
      sudo pacman -S gdm
      Then:
      sudo systemctl disable lightdm
      sudo systemctl enable gdm
      sudo reboot
      You can always go back to lighdm using the last 2 commands (after changing them accordingly) -:)

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• Yes, that’s useful to me.

The problem is I need a distribution I can give away to non technical people, and they could by default get something that works well. If you know what I mean.

• @es20490446e said in Issues I have encountered:

The problem is I need a distribution I can give away to non technical people, and they could by default get something that works well.

Honestly, in that case I would highly recommend either Zorin OS 12, Elementary OS (depending on whether they are used to Windows or Macs) or, if you really like the rolling aspect to a distro, Solus. It is now rolling, comes in 3 flavors (Gnome, Budgie, and Cinnamon) and is reported to actually be quite stable. Of course my favorite is Antergos, but I agree that it can be quite a challenge for those who have no Linux experience what-so-ever. Especially if they aren’t interested in getting any.

Just throwing in my 2 cents!

• Actually the rolling aspect of a distribution leads to higher quality, because people is encouraged to fix issues right away before shipping the software. The problem comes when even then they don’t do so.

For example, have a look at the “select_packages” method at the select_packages.py file.

You’ll realise that the method, responsible of my installation not able to continue, is super long. Also there’s no unit testing on it.
    See that it’s not an accident that it doesn’t work.

You can turn it reliable simply by making functions as short as possible, and testing those functions just after finishing them.

See in this example how an obscure programming language is turned crystal clear just by writing functions as short as possible, and using short meaningful naming.

• @es20490446e said

The problem is I need a distribution I can give away to non technical people

In such a case, I wouldn t recomend Antergos (it is Arch under the hood), nor any other rolling distro.
    Look for something in the Ubuntu neighorhood (Mint, Ubuntu my choices because of their vast community bases). A lot more automation, frozen, thus rock solid.

• I have been the greatest non paid contributor to Ubuntu Quality Assurance for four years, and what I found is that having scheduled releases is harmful for applications quality.

Bug reports tend to accumulate unfixed in Launchpad, where the upstream projects have already solved them. When you upgrade to the next release, plenty of non super popular applications tend to stop working all together.

I have personally checked that in Manjaro, for example, all those applications that are broken in Ubuntu LTS work well there. And that there’s wall less bugs.

Also the evidence is that using Debian, which has a longer period of testing, doesn’t deliver better quality software. But in fact it’s more broken and, at the same time, very outdated.

Having a rolling release forces applications to solve problems early on, and to deploy good quality practises instead of hiding problems till the very last moment.

http://www.mdcegypt.com/Pages/Management Approaches/Lean enterprise/Types of Waste/Types 1.jpg

• @es20490446e , you have a very good point, there.

• Sorry, I think I have explained too much.

Just understand me: I liked your desktop setup so hard, and I’m a bit sorry it’s not that reliable :crying_cat_face:

I wish you good luck, and a nice day :rainbow:

• If you wish to use a rolling distro for nontechnical people, then I would honestly recommend Solus under the Gnome DE. Gnome is so simple to use for a beginner and Solus is allegedly extremely stable. However, the only downside is that there are not a lot of packages available for it. This can (sort of) be fixed by just asking the developers to add it. Apparently they are very responsive to their users and often take the time to add the requested package to their software center.

If the limited software is too much of a problem, then I would advise Antergos. However, to do this, it would be wise to install it for your users because the installation is honestly the hardest part of it all (Cnchi often has problems depending on the Arch updates and the hardware. The dedicated @developers attempt to resolve and offer support for these problems as quickly as possible, but obviously they can’t squash a bug before it is known). Once installed, Antergos is very reliable I have found with numerous packages available.

Well, there’s my opinion. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this:smile:.

• Okay, I will try both options. Thanks for the help ;)

• @es20490446e said in Issues I have encountered:

Thanks for the help

Just glad I could:grinning:. If you are interested, this webpage has some brief information on all the common rolling distros out there.

• @Keegan , wow, a webpage of yours! Bookmarked. Let me correct you, thouh. OpenSUSE is not a Fedora derivative, The openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by SUSE Linux and other companies, based in Germany…

• @es20490446e : I understand your point of view in case of non-technical users, but maybe your overthinking it.
    I’m a non-technical user and I have been using Antergos since the beginning of this year. Until now I haven’t run into a problem that wasn’t fixable, even with low knowledge of terminalcommands. (Deepin DE aside)
    I loved Antergos from the start and if your new users also do, most of them are willing (like I did) to search or ask on the forum and simply copy the terminal command. The Antergos community is more than willing to help out.
    Just give it a try, maybe you will be surprised by what people are willing or being capable to learn.

• @anarch said in Issues I have encountered:

OpenSUSE is not a Fedora derivative, The openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by SUSE Linux and other companies, based in Germany…

Thanks! I’ll go and fix that right away:grinning:

• @bpoerwo said in Issues I have encountered:

even with low knowledge of terminalcommands.

hehehe…

Yeah, I only know a few of the most important terminal commands also! @joekamprad is the one to ask for those:smile:.

• @Keegan Yes, his posts helped me out several times. To me he is one of the most important bases of my whole Antergos experience!

encountered1 issues40 Posts 27Views 544