• Plasma5 + Wayland + Nvidia: Possible?

Wondering if it’s already possible to run Plasma5 on wayland using the Nvidia propietary drivers. The internet gives different results, some say it works, others say it does not work. Any hints/ideas on this?
    Thx
    J.

• I don’t really know about KDE.

Gnome 3.22 works. You have to check if the Plasma guys have implemented Wayland support using EGLStreams, which is what the proprietary nvidia drivers use.

• So I installed plasma-wayland-session which pulled in xorg-server-xwayland and rebooted. SDDM gave me the common graphical login window where I selected plasma wayland session. After entering my password it threw me back to the systemd startup messages stating “staring graphical interface”. Couldn’t even switch to another tty, had to pull the power plug to shut down my system. So it seems Plasma5 on wayland does not work with the proprietary nvidia drivers.
    J.

• The driver is the problem?

• Maybe. Not willing to switch to nouveau though, not even to test this, I need the full performance of my GPU.
    J.

• I also have nvidia drivers so i ll not test !
    And i also can’t switch to test too!!
    If anyone is without nvidia drivers and has time to spent…to see what happen without nvidia

• If you don’t have a brand new nvidia card, you can use nouveau. But I understand that @Jeannie____ really has a new nvidia card.

I’ve been told that Gnome 3.22 works. But again, I know that @Jeannie____ is a Qt person (or at least, an anti GTK+ person).

I understand that with each GTK iteration, many things break. This is not acceptable, but I also believe that GTK devs are reaching a more stable phase (fingers crossed).

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/Roadmap

Cheers!

• The topic becomes interesting.

Regards

• Please don’t make me to uninstall nvidia drivers and install wayland support! I am a newbie and i will mess it all and i see myself reinstalling antergos!!!

• @karasu said in Plasma5 + Wayland + Nvidia: Possible?:

If you don’t have a brand new nvidia card, you can use nouveau. But I understand that @Jeannie____ really has a new nvidia card.

I’ve been told that Gnome 3.22 works. But again, I know that @Jeannie____ is a Qt person (or at least, an anti GTK+ person).

I understand that with each GTK iteration, many things break. This is not acceptable, but I also believe that GTK devs are reaching a more stable phase (fingers crossed).

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/Roadmap

Cheers!

I doubt that GTK will reach a “stable” status some day. In fact I fear that it will become more and more chaotic and unusable outside Gnome.
    GTK4.0 is not GTK4
    J.

• I do not invent anything with this, but … WAYLAND is very green yet, let’s say it has not matured enough, will ripen at some point
      ?

Autodidacta en la VIDA …y en Linux, también.

• @judd said in Plasma5 + Wayland + Nvidia: Possible?:

I do not invent anything with this, but … WAYLAND is very green yet, let’s say it has not matured enough, will ripen at some point
      ?

Indeed ,Wayland is only 8 years old and it’s been “almost usable” for some years now.
    J.

• It is not by whim, but almost usable does not mean 100% utlizable …

• @judd said in Plasma5 + Wayland + Nvidia: Possible?:

almost usable

this does NOT say: useful, stable, ready for productive usage
    it say that later in time, you will be able to make use of it ;)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Hi!

I see @Jeannie____ 's point… eight years? Come on!

But if you read the differences with Xorg, you see that it is a good idea indeed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)#Differences_between_Wayland_and_X

I think that there is no hurry because Xorg just works… but know that it’s here to stay.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

• Indeed, especially the incapability of wayland clients to communicate with each other seems to be a massive progress step backwards in convenience. Having no clipboard seems to be a good idea, not being able to take screenshots is also very convenient. Besides that, there also are teh applications. Unless all applications are native wayland applications a wayland user needs to run xorg in form of xwayland on top of wayland to get his programmes running. So we’ll have the now protocol that requires the use of the old display server on top to run stuff.
    Sounds really attractive.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ said in Plasma5 + Wayland + Nvidia: Possible?:

Unless all applications are native wayland applications a wayland user needs to run xorg in form of xwayland on top of wayland to get his programmes running.

That’s where the shots go, at least for now …

This is old, but it is interesting: http://www.muylinux.com/2010/11/06/que-es-wayland

• @karasu said in Plasma5 + Wayland + Nvidia: Possible?:

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol )#Differences_between_Wayland_and_X

These two sections of the link, I think the most interesting.

Seguridad 
    Wayland aísla las entradas y salidas de cada ventana, logrando confidencialidad, integridad y disponibilidad en ambos casos; El diseño X original carece de estas importantes características de seguridad, [30] [31] [32] aunque algunas extensiones se han desarrollado tratando de mitigarlo. [33] [34] [35] Además, con la gran mayoría del código que se ejecuta en el cliente, menos código necesita ejecutarse con privilegios de root , mejorando la seguridad. [30]

Redes 
    El sistema X Window es una arquitectura que fue diseñada en su núcleo para funcionar a través de una red. Wayland no ofrece transparencia de red por sí mismo; [8] Sin embargo, un compositor puede implementar cualquier protocolo de escritorio remoto para lograr la visualización remota. Además, hay una investigación sobre la transmisión y compresión de imágenes de Wayland que proporcionaría un acceso de búfer de marco remoto similar al de VNC . [14]

wayland33 nvidia100 plasma510 Posts 18Views 429