• Can't login to any text tty, because I don't get any login prompt

Hey.

None of my text ttys let me login.
    All of them only display the last lines of the boot messages.
    Pressing enter does not work.
    Switching between the ttys does not have any visible effect on the screen, except switching to tty7 which contains my graphical session. That works fine.

I am using a completely up-to-date version of Antergos.
    To boot I use grub2 that is still managed from my old Ubuntu installation.

The only thing I have altered regarding this, is removing the commend on two lines in the logind.conf but that did not change the issue. (I added that in the logs)

I added all logs and command outputs I could think of as useful.
    I don’t know how to get a log of the boot messages that display there, but as I have included the journal, I do not think that is necessary. If it is, please tell me the command to get the log, or I can just write it down.
    If any additional information is needed it will provide it.

I am sorry if this was solved before. I have tried to search for answers on this, but the most results I got on this are people having issues with the graphical login, or having blank ttys. What I found did not help

Thanks in advance for everyone trying to help : )

Greetings,
    Desmond

logs and command outputs

• Apparently I am not smart enough to upload my logs to this forum…
    If anyone can tell me how to do it, I’ll edit my post.
    I created a logs.tar and tried just uploading it with the upload file command, but that did not seem to work.
    I don’t want to put it all in here as a code block, because some stuff like the journal is pretty long.
    I suck at forums, haha

• @Desmond said in Can't login to any text tty, because I don't get any login prompt:

Apparently I am not smart enough to upload my logs to this forum…

hehehe…
    It’s not you at all. I believe that the upload button has some glitches right now, so your issue is probably happening to everybody. To work around this, simply paste you logs (or whatever code you want to) here. Then, use the Link button here in the Forum to add a link to it.

Hopefully this helps:grinning:

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antergos-deepin
    https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @Keegan Thank you for the tip, I could have thought of this myself as well

logs and command outputs

• I wish I could help further, but I really don’t know much of anything about text ttys::disappointed:.

However, hopefully now someone CAN help you since your log files are available:grinning:.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antergos-deepin
    https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @Desmond said in Can't login to any text tty, because I don't get any login prompt:

None of my text ttys let me login.
    All of them only display the last lines of the boot messages.
    Pressing enter does not work.

Hi friend!
    Is not clear to me; Are you able to type your user/password when you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 for example?

I’m not an expert, but i saw an error in your logs regarding xfce failing to load or something like that.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said in Can't login to any text tty, because I don't get any login prompt:

Are you able to type your user/password when you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 for example?

No, I can not type in user/password in any tty. I don’t get any prompt for it either. It is just displaying the trail of the boot messages and does not react to anything.

@fernandomaroto said in Can't login to any text tty, because I don't get any login prompt:

i saw an error in your logs regarding xfce failing to load

I think xfce is loading fine. It is working at least. I have no troubles logging in here. My problem is just with the text-only ttys

• @Desmond
    Sorry, i have not enough knowledge to help you with that. Let’s wait for others with more knowledge.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

login67 text4 tty5 Posts 8Views 162