• Lighter desktop

Are there any plans to bring out a light version of Antergos?

Very impressed by what I have seen only Gnome is bit on the heavy side for me

MrG

• Are there any plans to bring out a light version of Antergos?

Very impressed by what I have seen only Gnome is bit on the heavy side for me

MrG

• What do you mean with light?

Less default software? Or lighter desktops like Openbox?

• Maybe more like ArchBang

MrG

• Hi,

We’re working on an Openbox only version (not as well setup as ArchBang, but it’s our target)

By the way, are you THE MrGreen from ArchBang?

• Yes

Looking at build scripts in github you seem to be a little behind archiso (think you have gone a different route)

I use customize_root_image in /root-image/root and run it under chroot to do system set up where you do it all from build script.

Also I can build 32 or 64 set from a flag

However I have not got around to adding uefi support simply as I have nothing to test it on…

Tested Antergos under virtualbox and found it a little slow…

• Nahhh I try to bring the new features of archiso to our build system, just that customize-root part that I didn’t implement it, the other things that I need are changed.

The 32/64 flag is a good idea though, that way I don’t have to type “linux32 sudo ./build …”

But… I think Antergos runs quite smoothly on Virtualbox xD maybe not that smooth as with Openbox, of course but great anyway

• I am certainly not criticizing Antergos, it just runs a little slow on my system (but that might be down to my hardware)

Just find it easier and cleaner to configure iso in one place:

\#!/bin/bash  
    \# Configure live iso  
    set -e -u -x  

\# Set locales  
    sed -i 's/\#\\(en\_US\\.UTF-8\\)/\\1/' /etc/locale.gen  
    locale-gen  

\# Sudo to allow no password  
    sed -i 's/\# %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL/%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL/g' /etc/sudoers  
    chown -c root:root /etc/sudoers  
    chmod -c 0440 /etc/sudoers  

\# Add ArchBang repo  
    sed -i "\\$a[archbang]\\nServer = http://www.archbang.org/repo" /etc/pacman.conf  

\# Set timezone  
    ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Montreal /etc/localtime  

\# Set clock  
    hwclock --systohc --utc  

\# Fix parcellite icon  
    ln -sf /usr/share/icons/AwOken/clear/24x24/actions/editpaste.png /usr/share/pixmaps/parcellite.png  

\# Fix Firefox ugly fonts...  
    ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/  

\# Add live user  
    useradd -m -p "" -g users -G "adm,storage,optical,audio,video,network,wheel,power,lp,log" -s /bin/bash live  
    chown live /home/live  

\# Remove gtk-docs  
    rm -rf /usr/share/{doc,gtk-doc,info,gtk-2.0,gtk-3.0}  

\# Clean /etc/skel  
    rm -rf /etc/skel  

\#Clean '\#' from mirrorlist  
    \#sed -i "s/\#Server/Server/g" /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist  

sed 's\#\\(^ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty\\)\#\\1 --autologin live\#;  
    s\#\\(^Alias=getty.target.wants/\\).\\+\#\\[email protected]\#' \\  
    /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service \> /etc/systemd/system/autologin@.service  

systemctl disable [email protected]  
    systemctl enable multi-user.target pacman-init.service autologin@.service lastmin.service NetworkManager.service  

• Yeah, you’re right about having all that stuff outside the build script, and thanks for sharing yours, I didn’t think about removing all that doc folders, right now just the man pages are being excluded, but this will save us some more space

• We are looking at removing locale stuff too (might be going too far!) testing builds are 100mb lighter. You have the right approach as Gnome needs less setting up as it is for most part complete. Openbox needs many more config files (~/.config) which does take much more work. We have known for sometime that trying to limit iso is really a waste of time as most users will have access to a usb drive of some sort and most modern machines are capable of booting usb.

I have always been a bit old school as for some reason 32bit iso downloads have always been very high so maybe people are still running Arch on older machines.

Armchair is a side project of mine which uses i3 window manager, might be a little too light for some.

• Wow, as a fan of Openbox and ArchBang, this looks too light for me indeed.

[url:14xzwuqp]http://postimg.org/image/bn5653d9b/[/url:14xzwuqp]

• As I said its just a side project, more of a testing ground for build scripts and minimalism. Compared to AlphaOs its huge!!!

• +1 for OpenBox DM

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

Posts 13Views 3087