• Window decorations break re-sizing on Plasma

Hi,

On a fresh install of Antergos 17.4 Plasma, if I install alternative window decorations (System Settings -> Application Style -> Window Decorations), such as Evolvere Light or two0ten (and almost any other), I can no longer re-size windows. The two-headed arrow that should appear near the corners of the window simply doesn’t appear.

The problem goes away when I switch back to Breeze, which is the default.

I tested this on Manjaro KDE Plasma and there I don’t get the same problem; I can resize the windows there. I don’t know if it’s significant, but activating, e.g. Evolvere in Antergos adds a rather fat border to the window, whereas I don’t see this in the Manjaro version.

All this seems to apply equally to GTK and Qt applications.

Additionally, changing windows decorations (System Settings -> Application Style -> Window Decorations) often freezes that window altogether and all I can do is click it closed and restart another instance of System Settings.

Any ideas?
    (I prefer Antergos, but I’d like to customize my Plasma…)

• Those themes are based on Aurorae which was good for KDE 4 but support for this was dropped since Plasma 5.2.

https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.1.2-5.2.0-changelog.php

Choosing window decorations meant to be used with Plasma 5, there are plenty of them, will solve your problem.

You can change the border size under the decoration selection window.

Never to old to learn.

• @axioma said in Window decorations break re-sizing on Plasma:

You can change the border size under the decoration selection window.

No I can’t. That’s part of the problem.

Those themes are based on Aurorae which was good for KDE 4 but support for this was dropped since Plasma 5.2.
    https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.1.2-5.2.0-changelog.php
    Choosing window decorations meant to be used with Plasma 5, there are plenty of them, will solve your problem.

I’m on Plasma 5.10.

System Settings > Application Style > Window Decorations > Get New Decorations.

Now order them by, say, rating.

Go down the list and count how many are Aurorae. You could die of old age before you’re done. Of the minority that aren’t, most are ghastly.

So some questions:

1. Why would 5.10 take me to a list of Window Decorations that aren’t supported since 5.2? How is that a way to showcase a desktop’s capabilities?
    2. Why can’t I order them by which version of Plasma they apply to?

Plasma is customizable in principle, in practice it’s butt-ugly out of the box and frustrating as hell to make look nice. It’s been like this for 2 years, probably more.

• And whilst I’m complaining…

When chosing the Windows Decoration theme you (might) want to install, you click “Details” and get a preview the size of postage stamp, which you can’t click or open or see an even remotely useful or informative version of.

• I agree that the Aurorae themes should be removed from the decorations list. Most links to the themes homepages do not exist anymore. Maybe you could volunteer to help to weed them out…

All-in-all this is not an Antergos problem but something related with the current Plasma store. I use the Oxygen theme, but there are some very nice themes available. Furthermore, you could change almost all aspects of the system themes, color, look etc. yourself. There are also some extra settings in the theme itself. (see picture: left lower corner of the theme preview)
    The settings of the GTK apps is a different story.

Btw, the border size options should be on the right side lower corner of the border settings window.

0_1498551812918_Screenshot_20170627_171310.png

Never to old to learn.

Btw, the border size options should be on the right side lower corner of the border settings window.

As I wrote above: I know about this, but part of the bug is that it doesn’t work.

I realise that it’s a Plasma rather than Antergos problem. I find it annoying that Plasma make so much noise about customizability, but the theming is so disjointed. Given enough time, I could adjust and tweak all the colours, borders, icons, etc. Or… I could move DEs to something where it’s two clicks away from a boatload of themes that work and be done with it.

On the Antergos-Plasma front, I’ve installed separately a Manjaro 17.02 and notice that a lot is smoother with how it looks on with Plasma. I have better font rendering in GTK apps, including Firefox, and the border/resizing problem is gone.

It seem to me Antergos is ‘tuned’ somehow to work better with Gnome out of the box, whereas Manjaro is ‘tuned’ better for Plasma (and is a little worse with Gnome).

themes11 plasma25 window border2 Posts 7Views 444