• It's quiet in OB land...

I’ve been playing around with OB in a VM for a few weeks on my personal laptop and made the switch to bare metal a few days ago. I want to thank the Devs and everyone else for a great out of the box OB config. I’m keeping Gnome on my family desktop, but made the switch to OB on my laptop and couldn’t be happier. My laptop hardware specs aren’t terrible, a Haswell Lenovo L440, including 8G RAM and SSD, but OB is so simple, light, configurable, and speedy. PCManFM is a great file manager as well.

I’m not a fan of Numix icons and switched to Moka. I played around with tint2 a bit, increasing icon size and opacity, but otherwise everything is near perfect out of the box with minimal tweaks necessary. Thanks again to the Antergos OB Devs.

• Hi!

Thanks for your kind words! I also like OB a lot. Please, let us know if you have any problems.

Cheers!

• @triode13 Antergos does have one of the best OB setup that I’ve seen, out the box. I’ve been using OB for a few years as my main environment, but do keep whatever the distros default DE may be installed, also. Glad you like it.

Tower | Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb | Mageia Cauldron - Debian Testing - SalixOS 14.1
    Tower2 | HP DC-7700 | Core 2 Duo | 2gb | 80gb | Mageia 5 - ArchLinux

• The double click action in PCManFM was too short so i created .gtkrc-2.0.mine file with the following line

gtk-double-click-time=750

I’m not sure if this is the best way, but it works. I couldn’t find any GUI settings.

I’m getting some screen tearing/lag when scrolling webpages with my trackpad. I have integrated Intel graphics. I see Compton is installed, but I don’t see any means to adjust settings. Paranoid doesn’t launch from the menu or terminal either.

Thanks!

• i agree @karasu made the best openbox setup since the Crunchbang days. i use it on my HTPC and its awesome!

• So I couldn’t find any solutions by amending the compton.conf file, but per the Arch Wiki:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Tips_and_tricks and
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Xorg_configuration
    I created the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following lines

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "TearFree"    "true"
    EndSection

…and tearing/lag when scrolling is fixed.

• The Spotify linux client works flawlessly in Gnome but I’m unable to get it to work in OB. Spotify is not recognized as an application in pavucontrol and I am unable to get any sound out, either through speakers or an outboard USB DAC. Also, I am unable to adjust any account settings within Spotify. A web search for possible solutions came up with nothing.

• @triode13 said in It's quiet in OB land...:

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "intel"
       Option      "TearFree"    "true"
    EndSection

…and tearing/lag when scrolling is fixed.

I have a bit of tearing too sometimes, will try that. Thanks.

• Speaking of quiet… Quiet is good, quiet means no problems.
    I have i3wm and Openbox installed, switch between the two depending on the mood. Works great. Will never bother with a DE again.

• @gagarin Hope it fixes the tearing for you. I’m still really enjoying OB as well.

I got the Spotify client to work - it’s now showing up in the pavucontrol under Playback/applications. I added Spotify to my ~/.config/openbox/autostart script, rebooted, and Spotify popped up on boot and showed up in pavucontrol. I removed it from my autostart script, rebooted, and now it’s showing up in pavucontrol. I wonder if starting Spotify from terminal would have had the same effect, or if this is a random hiccup?

I still cannot access my account details, but more importantly, I’m now able to get into settings and logout with keyboard shortcuts. I’m paying for Premium and modifying the settings was important to turn on higher bitrate streaming and turning off track volume normalization. I can still access my account settings on my Gnome desktop, so no big deal.

Posts 10Views 251