• Boot hangs at "Reached target sound card"

I managed to install from the live USB without errors but the system hangs on boot and I never get to a login prompt. I’ve enabled verbose output in the grub options, but all the output I get is a long list of:

[ OK ] Started/Reached (various daemons and system services)

The last line is consistently to do with my sound card, then I get no more output.

I’ve done some looking around but I can’t figure out how to proceed. Do I need to fix something in grub or is the install itself broken?

• I managed to install from the live USB without errors but the system hangs on boot and I never get to a login prompt. I’ve enabled verbose output in the grub options, but all the output I get is a long list of:

[ OK ] Started/Reached (various daemons and system services)

The last line is consistently to do with my sound card, then I get no more output.

I’ve done some looking around but I can’t figure out how to proceed. Do I need to fix something in grub or is the install itself broken?

• Hi,

Add the following to the end of the kernel boot command in grub (press “e” when grub appears). Remove “quiet” and put this in its place:

Press F10 to boot. You should end up at the terminal log in screen. Enter you user and password and then save the journal from the last 2-3 boots to a USB flash drive if possible (so you can post them here) You can use the following commands (assuming your usb drive is /dev/sdb):su  
    mkdir /tmp/logs  
    journalctl -b 1 \> /tmp/logs/journal.last  
    journalctl -b 2 \> /tmp/logs/journal.2last  
    journalctl -b 3 \> /tmp/logs/journal.3last  
    mkdir /mnt/usb  
    mount /dev/sdb /mnt/usb  
    cp -R /tmp/logs /mnt/usb  
    cp -R /var/log/lightdm /mnt/usb  
    umount /tmp/usb

I could have done this with less commands but I wanted it to be easy for you and other users to know exactly what you are doing with each command

Cheers!

• Thanks, but that systemd option doesn’t seem to be having any effect. It does occasionally being me to a different line of output before hanging, but I’m still not getting through the systemd startup to a login prompt.

The other messages I’ve got before hanging:

[ \*\*\* ] (x of 2) A start job is running for dev-sda\#.device (8s/1m30s)

which cycles through my partitions but hangs on sda7 (which is just a normal, working swap partition.)

Also,

[ OK ] Created slice system-systemd\\x2dbacklight.slice.  
    Starting load/save screen backlight brightness of leds:asus:kbd\_backlight...  
    Starting load/save RF kill switch status of rfkill2...

which turns on my keyboard’s backlighting and then hands after the last message.

For context: These hangs happen after the sound card is reached but it seems to be a dice roll which one I get. If these result from systemd, is there a way to boot to CLI without starting all these daemons and fixing the problem via some config file or other?

• Yes, instead of multi-user try this:[code:qdubm1vj]systemd.unit=rescue.target[/code:qdubm1vj] Perform a normal boot attempt prior to trying the systemd targets. That we are sure to have the real issue in the logs once you make it to the command line. Rescue should work but if it doesn’t then you can use emergency (.target).

Cheers!

• Okay - I managed to make it work with the emergency.target flag, so thanks for pointing me in that direction. Anyway, as requested, here are logs from standard boots (I took the liberty of disabling ‘quiet’ in grub but I didn’t set any systemd option).

[https://www.dropbox.com/s/llc9tks4wnzmr54/antergos_boot_logs.zip][0]">[https://www.dropbox.com/s/llc9tks4wnzmr][1] … t_logs.zip

There was nothing in /var/log/lightdm to copy over, though. I guess whatever’s causing the hanging is low level enough to prevent it from being started at all.

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/llc9tks4wnzmr

• It looks like X is failing to load using nouveau driver. Is this a new system or graphics card? Youcan use the vesa driver to boot into the graphical desktop and troubleshoot the video driver problem afterwards. You will need to install the driver which will require a network connection. I did not see anything in the logs that would stop you from booting into multi-user.target (which has network connection enabled). Try it again and if the boot hangs try pressing Ctrl +Alt + F2 a few times to see if it will let you switch to console. Otherwise you will have to manually configure your network connection from emergency mode to install the driver with:

sudo pacman -S xf86-video-vesa

After the driver is installed you need to boot with this kernel command option:

nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0

Let me know how it goes

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• It’s not a new system and the graphics card works with nouveau (I’m migrating from xubuntu 13.10). I’m trying to do the manual connection setup in emergency.target since multi-user.target still hangs and I can’t access a prompt. I’ve managed to view available networks with wifi-menu but when I select one, the prompt disappears and once again I’m left with a hang and have to reboot. I’m wondering if doing this via netctl will help, but somehow I doubt it.

I suppose I will keep bashing away at this network problem so I can try out vesa but it seems to me like there are more problems than video driver…

EDIT: The profile created by wifi-menu also causes a hang when I start it via netctl, which I was afraid of. I can’t even run anything to do with systemctl to see what services might be interfering. Might it be a better idea at this point to just try reinstalling?

EDIT 2: I somehow connected with iw and WPA_supplicant instead. I’ll update if I get anywhere with this method.

• I don’t think reinstalling will help. From what I can tell the problem is X crashing when GDM tries to start. Did you install GDM manually? Try switching back to lightdm. Also I looked at the logs again and I noticed that you may have hybrid graphics Intel/Nvidia. Is that correct? I missed it before. Post a copy of the logs after the boot hangs attempting multi-user.target…that may be a separate issue than the display, actually let me rephrase that. it has to be a separate issue.

Regards,

• I haven’t replaced the login manager, this is a completely fresh install that I haven’t been able to boot into outside of emergency mode, never mind change cosmetic details of. Also my graphics card is dedicated, it’s a GTX 660M.

I’ll post logs if I can’t get vesa installed but I’d prefer to focus on this for now unless you think it won’t help with the full boot.

• You need to figure out whats preventing automatic network configuration so that you can install vesa…unless you find the right manual configuration for it

Posts 11Views 3303