• Crontab (cronie) doesn't start (last line missing line-feed 0x0A bug)

So, it’s just another day, only yesterday I spent a good part of Sunday testing the KDE5 Plasma implementation for Antergos. In short, I didn’t like it. There’s too many levers and buttons and things which can go fubar. The average ‘Joe Six-Pack’ will not use it. So, today, I have switched back to Gnome-Shell by doing a clean install with the Live Antergos ISO (not minimal).

I have this time decided to install ZFS. But, I have had for the past two years an external BlacX SATA docking station that connects via the express pcmia card slot with an eSATA interface.

In configuring my system, I chose to install BackIntime and historically it has run like a ‘Swiss Watch’ never missing a beat. With the ext4 filesystem, I have had to use it to restore several times so it is worth the investment particularly if you are a developer.

Anyway, I’ve installed cronie (crond), enabled and started the service using systemctl. Verified the status is ok and have manually copied the root crontab entry that BIT creates upon configuring a backup-job and pasted it to the root command prompt to certifify the backup is working correctly. All fine.

Then I took the midnight crontab and changed the time to a few minutes ahead to see if the cronie.service would wake and run the job. Several times I changed the time with a reboot of the system. Still the crontab won’t run.

I don’t think I should start by ‘barking’ up the cronie developer’s tree and thought I might enlist your assistance first.

Does anyone have an idea of what I am missing?

I don’t see anything unusual in journalctl -f either for crond. And there is no mail for root.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
    – Dietrich

• @dtschmitz
    Ok, ran across this article.

Turns out that cronie ignores the crontab ‘if’ the last line in the file is not terminated with a line feed (0x0A).

I added the line feed to the end of the line, saved with a new near start time and the job fired.

Odd. But this fixes it.
    P.S. I have reopened the issue on the BackInTime github site and identified it as a bug for their remediation.

root16 backup11 crontab2 cronie1 Posts 2Views 323
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.