• Crackling sound on internal speakers, headphones are fine

I’ve been using Antergos for a few days now, it has been a smooth sailing experience, except for this one problem. I’ve looked for solutions on the net, and none of them works. The crackling sound is often happening due the bass in music. The sound is also not loud enough compared to Windows.

Some of the solutions I tried are:
    adding tsched=0 to /etc/pulse/default.pa
    tweaking default-fragment and default-fragment-size-msec to lots of combinations
    this one --> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/PositionReporting
    and most of the solutions here --> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#Glitches.2C_skips_or_crackling

Here are some of the infos about the system

Lenovo Y510p

lsmod | grep 'snd'
    snd_hda_codec_hdmi     49152  1
    snd_hda_codec_realtek    73728  1
    snd_hda_codec_generic    65536  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
    snd_hda_intel          36864  4
    snd_hda_codec         106496  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
    snd_hda_core           65536  5 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek
    snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
    snd_pcm                90112  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core,snd_hda_codec_hdmi
    snd_timer              28672  1 snd_pcm
    snd                    65536  16 snd_hda_intel,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm
    soundcore              16384  1 snd

lspci -nn | grep -i audio
    00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller [8086:0c0c] (rev 06)
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller [8086:8c20] (rev 05)

pacman -Qs alsa
    local/alsa-lib 1.1.4.1-1
        An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
    local/alsa-plugins 1.1.4-1
        Extra alsa plugins
    local/alsa-utils 1.1.4-1
        An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
    local/lib32-alsa-lib 1.1.4.1-1
        An alternative implementation of Linux sound support (32 bit)
    local/lib32-alsa-plugins 1.1.4-1
        Extra alsa plugins (32-bit)
    local/pulseaudio-alsa 2-3
        ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio
    local/zita-alsa-pcmi 0.2.0-3
        The successor of clalsadrv, provides easy access to ALSA PCM devices.

pacman -Qs pulseaudio
    local/lib32-libpulse 10.0-1
        A featureful, general-purpose sound server (32-bit client libraries)
    local/libcanberra-pulse 0.30+2+gc0620e4-1
        PulseAudio plugin for libcanberra
    local/pavucontrol 3.0-4
        PulseAudio Volume Control
    local/plasma-pa 5.10.2-1 (plasma)
        Plasma applet for audio volume management using PulseAudio
    local/pulseaudio 10.0-3
        A featureful, general-purpose sound server
    local/pulseaudio-alsa 2-3
        ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio
    local/pulseaudio-bluetooth 10.0-3
        Bluetooth support for PulseAudio
    local/pulseaudio-gconf 10.0-3
        GConf support for PulseAudio

pacman -Qs pavucontrol
    local/pavucontrol 3.0-4
        PulseAudio Volume Control

• If the crackling is only audible with heavy bass, then it might be that the audio signal is clipping, but then again you said there’s no problems with headphones. Are you using an audio equalizer? Did you increase bass frequencies? I assume audio works fine in Windows without crackling, both with internal speakers and headphones?

As far as system volume, check alsamixer:

$ alsamixer

• Thanks for the reply. No, I’m not using any equalizer. It just turns out like since fresh installation. Audio works fine with Windows, I have Windows dual-booting and use it from time to time.

• Sorry but I don’t have a good answer. I’m guessing that your speakers cannot handle the lower bass frequencies. Maybe try playing around with an audio equalizer and reduce the bass dBs from 120Hz and down. I’m not sure why your Antergos install could have more bass output than Windows though. If the bass sounds clean with headphones, I’m guessing that they can handle the the bass volume, while your speakers cannot, and that your music signal to the either is not clipping and clean.

crackling1 sound39 internal4 speakers5 Posts 4Views 236