• Firefox 54. The king is back?

Wow! I think the king is back! Firefox 54 (multiprocess enabled) is noticeably faster while using less RAM than before and handling it more effectively.
    More info here
    https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/06/13/faster-better-firefox/
    Multiprocess is enabled only if there are no incompatible addons installed. There s an easy way to find it out.
    There is the Addon Compatibility Reporter. Once installed, you simply open the “Add-ons” page from the FF menu. At the top, there s an indication “Multiprocess is enabled / disabled” accordingly. In your list of add-ons, it tells you which ones are compatible and which are not, so you can turn off or remove them altogether. At the same time it gives you an option to let developers know about the incompatibility of their add-ons.
    One more step to enable multiprocess mode, in addition to removing addons that are incompatible, is to also to go to about: config and change the value of the dom.ipc.processCount variable from 1 to the recommended by Mozilla 4 (or more If we have enough memory…

The final default multiprocess implementation is to be released with v 57 this November.
    Here s the addon
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

Here is some extra info
    https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/09/07/help-make-add-ons-multiprocess-compatible-with-add-on-compatibility-reporter/

https://www.arewee10syet.com/

BOTTOM LINE
    All of the above, for some may indicate that the king browser has returned. Personally the reason why I use Mozilla Firefox is ideological and not because it has now acquired all of the above.
    Mozilla, a non-profit organization that brought the open Web, open protocols, and the independent browser away from All of the above, for some may indicate that the browser king has returned, personally the reason why I use Mozilla Firefox is ideological and not because it has now acquired all of the above.
    Mozilla, a non-profit organization that brought the open Web, open protocols, and the independent browser, away from proprietary ownership, while at the same time sparing us from a “privately-owned Internet”. So the minimum I could do is to use Firefox (and to put up with all its flaws and mistakes in the past) to make it even better.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Nice, thank u Firefox/Mozilla, and thank u anarch 4 letting us know. Had to disable the “Measure it” pixel-measurer-add-on. I guess most add-ons will be back and compatible after a while, hopefully there will not be need for a complete re-write of the code for the incompatible add-ons. I wonder if Mozillla will take care of making them compatible again or if it will be up to the add-on authors to do the job.

Peace, Love and Penguins.

• That’s a nice feature indeed and very wanted. I noticed many times how Chromium just blows FF away in terms of speed and I’m forced to use it for several websites sometimes. I’ve always been a full time FF user, even though not always happy with their one-sided decisions, and can only welcome multi-processes for tabs and their new browser engine. Unfortunately I’m not one of the users that can use the multi process feature right now

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• @EarthMind said

Unfortunately I’m not one of the users that can use the multi process feature right now

Well, that depends on how important the addon/s that prevent/s it is for you. You can always help by notifying its/their dev/s to take care of it/them, using the addon I mentioned above.

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• What sets Firefox apart

Chrome and Firefox now both support multithreading, but they do it in different ways. In Chrome, each and every tab you open gets its own content process. Ten tabs, 10 processes. One hundred tabs, 100 processes. This approach maximizes performance, but you pay a hefty penalty in memory consumption and (when applicable) battery life. Firefox doesn’t take this approach to the problem, but instead spins up to four content process threads by default.
    The first 4 tabs each use those 4 processes. And additional tabs run using threads within those processes. Multiple tabs within a process share the browser engine that already exists in memory, instead of each creating their own.
    https://www.extremetech.com/internet/250930-firefox-54-finally-supports-multithreading-claims-higher-ram-efficiency-chrome

• @anarch Doesn’t that mean that if one of the tab crashes, the whle process is f** in the up? Crashes is something that I experience a lot with FF and to be honest, I’m not all too exited about this approach if that’s what it would cause.

In any case, I’m very interested to see the development of this feature. Hopefully my add-ons will get supported asap as I’ve reported the issues.

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• @anarch thanks for the info :thumbsup: ill for sure try out the extension and start testing firefox more.

do you know when the new firefox web engine is out? i forgot the name of it but i thought i was in the nightlys.

maybe firefox can make a comeback. the one huge advantage they have is not being connected to Google. even though there are hacks to try to get google from connecting to chrome browsers i still think it finds a way.

• @megaman , maybe I overdid it with the amount of information I prov;ided. You are talking about the Project Quantum and the use of RUST, I posted above.

“Going forward, Mozilla is launching a new initiative, dubbed Project Quantum, to focus on optimizing the browser engine that runs within a content process. Pollack notes that the new project will use Rust, a system programming language Mozilla sponsors. Pollack writes:
    As part of the project, Mozilla engineers are using Rust to code super-fast parallel algorithms that would be incredibly difficult to code safely with C++. With these algorithms, major pieces of Firefox’s engine (e.g. CSS styling), will run in parallel across multiple CPU cores, instead of sequentially on one core. Also as part of Quantum, Firefox will utilize threads to focus computing power and your network connection on the tabs you’re actively using. Firefox will get much faster, while still being respectful of your memory and your needs”.

• @anarch yes RUST! that was it. so maybe im missing it. is it already in the new firefox release or coming later?

• @EarthMind said

Doesn’t that mean that if one of the tab crashes, the whle process is f** in the up? Crashes is something that I experience a lot with FF

I guess certain addos are to blame for crashes. Hopefully, I haven t experienced any in my limited list of browsers (FF, Chromium, Qupzilla). The last one occasionally (very rare) does crash, but I guess this has to do with its port to QtWebEngine, which is under heavy development (so I read at least).
    Anyways, I ve already started testing FF but its too early to judge it fairly.
    I can only say that its less resource hungry (checked) and faster.
    My main complaint (since I m on a 4G RAM hardware was its difficulty in releasing RAM. I feel this is fixed (early judgment as I said)…

king1 firefox24 Posts 10Views 381