• Do i need to reinstall GRUB in my dual boot?

Hey Antergos Community,
    So this is my first Linux experience and i’m semi ok with computers in general.
    I have a laptop, where i first installed windows 8.1, and afterwards installed antergos. Everything worked fine so far and i used the GRUB bootloader to access both systems. My system uses the EFI-boot, with an own partition.
    Sadly i had the stupid idea to create a new partition in Windows, which led to the following problem:
    Whenever i now start my pc i get greeted with:
    "Welcome to GRUB

error: unknown filesystem"

I actually figured out how to progress from here with the great help of google (Link: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/148041/recovering-from-grub-rescue-crash ) and i am actually able to start my old grub bootloader with no problems and boot into both of my systems from there. The commands i have to use to get GRUB on the screen are the following:

grub rescue>  set boot=(hd0,gpt6)
    grub rescue>  set prefix=(hd0,gpt6)/boot/grub
    grub rescue>  insmod normal  
    grub rescue>  normal 

The problem for me is now: How can i prevent the grub rescue from appearing everytime when i reboot?
    Things i have tried so far after more googling:

sudo os-prober
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

both work as a command and i thought they would fix my problem by repairing the GRUB, but the rescue still pops up everytime.
    Do i need to reinstall GRUB on my system now? (I googled for that, but i am a bit overwhelmed with the EFI part of https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#.22Firmware_setup.22_menu_entry_.28UEFI_only.29 - do i really need to do all that stuff, or will sudo grub-install /dev/sda work, which i saw on a lot of threads?)
    Should i just remove my new partition from windows :D ?

So sadly i am a bit overwhelmed how to procede from here and i hope, that someone from this community can help me somehow or lead me towards a solution. I hope i explained everything in an understandable way, my computer expertise is not the greatest and i am actually somewhat proud to even have made it past the GRUB rescue screen. 🤦♂

Best regards, Nick

• @nickhero said in Do i need to reinstall GRUB in my dual boot?:

“Welcome to GRUB
    error: unknown filesystem”

depending on how your system try to boot… secure boot needs to be disabled inside EFI-Bios and you should have EFI-Boot and not legacy aka Bios/MBR boot enabled .

I am not shure what exactly causes the error because there are different solutions aviable on search mr. google for this error… (large hd with a lot of partition IS ONE)

On a EFI Boot System you need to install grub NOT to MBR it needs to be installed like this:

https://antergos.com/wiki/de/miscellaneous/how-to-fix-grub-with-efi-boot/

• Hey, thank you very much!

With the help of your link i was actually able to reinstall grub which seems to have solved my problem.
    Just for further documentation if someone else gets this problem:

i booted my pc and got put into the GRUB rescue screen. From there i moved forward with the commands from my first post and booted into antergos.
    Here i opened a terminal and used the following commands:

sudo fdisk -l

Here i identified my /dev/sda2 as my EFI-Partition and /dev/sda6 as my root-Partition. (I’m not sure if i needed to do all steps that follow from here, but i did and they worked greatly.)

sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt 
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi 
    sudo os-prober
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Antergos-grub

Afterwards i rebooted and my GRUB finally started in a normal way from here. No more GRUB rescue!

So, thank you very much for your help @joekamprad :).

Best regards,
    Nick

boot260 grub109 dual33 reinstall7 Posts 3Views 1497
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.