• Dropped to emergency shell without access to keyboard...

Hello there,

I’m really new to Antergos, and not a long-time linux user.
    So I installed Antergos a month ago, I personalized it and was using it just as a normal user, updating it at least 3-4 times a week. Anyway, today I was installing the latest updates, when my roommate stepped on my multi-socket (…), and shutdown everything. I can’t remember exactly what was getting installed, but I can tell that ‘linux’, ‘linux-header’ and ‘nvidia’ were in the list.

I rebooted my PC, and now I’m in front of this screen, without access to keyboard:

Warning: /lib/modules/4.11.5-1-ARCH/modules.devname not found - ignoring starting version 232
    ERROR: resume: hibernation device 'UUID=< uuid_1 >' not found
    ERROR: devide 'UUID=< uuid_2 >' not found. Skipping fsck.
    mount: can t find UUID=< uuid_2 >
    You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
    sh: can t access tty; job control turned off
    [rootfs ]# _

Obviously I can’t type anything as my keyboard isn’t recognized.

I saw this post today which seems close to my case, except that I can’t type…
    If there is no way out to get my Antergos back, its not that big of a deal, but at least I would like to recover some data…

Thank’s for helping and have a good day!

• @anyo Do you have the LTS kernel installed? If so, choose to boot from it at startup (second option when your get teh Antergos boot screen) and see if everything works. If so, reinstall the software your mentioned again and later on try to boot from the main kernel again.

If all hope is lost, you can access your data for example using a Live CD of Antergos or Ubuntu

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• @EarthMind Thank’s for helping me!
    Unfortunately, I don’t use LTS… When starting my computer, I get the “ASRock” screen (GC) where I can choose my boot device, then the “GRUB loading. Welcome to GRUB!” for a sec, then the “[…] Loading linux kernel…” for a sec too (no alternative/boot option) and finally the screen I described earlier.
    So I doubt there is still hope as I can’t even type in the shell… What’s a Live CD of Antergos? The installer I use when I installed it first time?

• @anyo About the Live CD, yes it’s the Antergos ISO that you used to install it to your PC. Either you burned it to a DVD or your wrote it to a USB stick. Load that up and then you have an almost complete functional operating system to fix whatever needs to be fixed.

I think you can still fix your current OS from the Live CD but unfortunately my experience doesn’t go that far. I usually would just copy my files and install a new OS. I could guess that maybe use chroot in the Live session to reinstall the kernel files and nvidia driver. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Change_root, more on that here: https://dominicm.com/enter-chroot-environment-in-arch-linux/. That’s the hard way, the easy way is to reinstall your OS again after your copied your files.

And lastly, a piece of good advice that cannot be repeated too often: make backups to prevent these kinds of things. Especially when you do kernel updates (without even an LTS backup??!)

Antergos & Windows 7 Pro | Asrock x370 K4 - Ryzen 1600 - GTX 950 (replace with Radeon 570/580/Vega) - 16GB DDR4 2400 - Samsung 960 pro 512GB (Windows) + Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB (Antergos) + 2x 2TB HGST HDD + more storage - RM550x Gold PSU

• @EarthMind wow thank’s for your time once again!

@anyo About the Live CD, yes it’s the Antergos ISO that you used to install it to your PC. Either you burned it to a DVD or your wrote it to a USB stick. Load that up and then you have an almost complete functional operating system to fix whatever needs to be fixed.

Alright, I have access to the graphical & non-graphical installations of Antergos via the USB stick I originally installed my OS with.

I think you can still fix your current OS from the Live CD but unfortunately my experience doesn’t go that far. I usually would just copy my files and install a new OS.

I will definitely do this if I can’t fix it, but I’ll try a bit harder before that.

I could guess that maybe use chroot in the Live session to reinstall the kernel files and nvidia driver. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Change_root, more on that here: https://dominicm.com/enter-chroot-environment-in-arch-linux/.

I’m looking into this for now! If anyone could help by explaining how to access my main disk(/partition?) where the original Antergos is installed VIA my USB stick where I have access to a local-installation shell… Meanwhile I’ll read what you’ve linked ;)

And lastly, a piece of good advice that cannot be repeated too often: make backups to prevent these kinds of things. Especially when you do kernel updates (without even an LTS backup??!)

I know, I know, at least I won’t make that mistake again…

• Update:
    So I created a directory to mount the root partition.
    mkdir /mnt/antergos
    then ran lsblk
    lsblk /dev/sda
    and here is the output:

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM SIZE   RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda    8:0     0  931.5G 0  disk
    |-sda1 8:1     0  255M   0  part
    |-sda2 8:2     0  923.6G 0  part
    |-sda3 8:3     0  1K     0  part
    `-sda5 8:5     0  7.7G   0  part

How do I know which one of the partitions is the root one? And what about the /boot & /home one? I’m a little bit confused here, I don’t know what to mount as they tell here to “Mount the root partition.” then “Mount any other system partitions.”.

• better info from oldschool

$ sudo fdisk -l

willgive something like this

Disk /dev/sda: 111.8 GiB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x6667fe3b

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *         2048    524287    522240   255M 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2          524288 222470143 221945856 105.9G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3       222470144 234441647  11971504   5.7G  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5       222472192 234441647  11969456   5.7G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

but yours look like:
    /dev/sda1 boot
    /dev/sda2 root
    /dev/sda5 swap

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    how to add system logs

• Thank’s you all, I finally managed to access my files via mounting, copied /home to an external hard drive, then wiped my main disk and reinstalled everything!

• @anyo Would have been easy to repair, out of the LiveIso…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    how to add system logs

boot154 error174 uuid3 keyboard34 Posts 9Views 534