• GNOME - Right top corner shutdown/sleep icons disappear

Hello,

Every now and then (very frequently), I run into this issue where I click on the dropdown menu on the top right corner, and it’s missing the shutdown/sleep/restart buttons. If I reboot the system, I see it again. But then after sleep and wakeup, those icons disappear again.

Most of the times, all I see is the settings icon there. I apparently don’t have privileges to attach files here. But I found a link of a similar screenshot. https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F5GzBmZi.png&f=1

This seems to actually be from a 2016 forum post here, without any responses though. Please let me know if any further information is required to debug this issue.

Thanks

• first to help with pictures: Bild Text
    You can use the button to add any picture from a link (Link to the picture file in the net) or this you can use imagehosters all over the net… but as i can see imgur is not working all the time…

To get the buttons back check first if extensions are enabled:
    Bild Text

gnome-shell-extension-status-menu-buttons
    should be running here maybe… and installed too ;)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad

It’s painful to first upload a screenshot somewhere and then link it in the post. Anyways, I’ll do that if that’s what it takes to get the info across.

On the Status Menu buttons in the tweak tool, there’s an exclamation mark, and if I hover my mouse over it, it says “error loading extension”.

Like I said, the extension is there, because it works fine after every reboot. It disappears after sleep/hibernate, and doesn’t come back unless I reboot again.

People on other distros also seem to be complaining about this problem. https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/755/hibernate-status-button/

Thanks,
    Srikar

• 0_1497510088203_Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-06-15 09-01-18.png

So upload via Forum seems to work here again… need to wait till the 0_1497510143188_Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-06-15 09-02-11.png URL apperars inside the code…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• May you ask the developer of the extension, he is running archlinux and should know if it works with actual kernel.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @archmuon The Status menu buttons extension should be installed by default. Enable that and disable hibernate status button.

When buttons disappear which they sometimes do when you add a new extension, you don’t have to reboot. Press alt+F2, insert r and press Enter. That will reload the Gnome shell.

• @chrisflr

awesome!! that did the trick.

Doesn’t this mean that there is a bug or flaw with the shell extensions? Should I report it on their github page?

• @chrisflr said in GNOME - Right top corner shutdown/sleep icons disappear:

Status menu buttons extension should be installed by default

Is’nt this what i say before???

gnome-shell-extension-status-menu-buttons
    should be running here maybe… and installed too

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• so disable hibernate status button do the trick?
    because you say Status menu buttons extension hows an error and you can not enable it again after suspend/hibernate…

My asking is because it will help others later with similar problem…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad

No. The below instructions from chrisflr fixes the issue.

When buttons disappear which they sometimes do when you add a new extension, you don’t have to reboot. Press alt+F2, insert r and press Enter. That will reload the Gnome shell.

• I have this issue ass well (had for at least a month) and there’s a warning sign on the extention.

0_1497633627874_Screenshot from 2017-06-16 19-20-03.png

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• I also have the same problem…

• I solved the problem by removing all Gnome shell extensions, preinstalled in Antergos - the folder /usr/share/gnome-shell/extetnsions must disappear, when everything is removed - and by replacing them all with extensions from Gnome Shell Extensions site. There are all kinds of status buttons extensions there - suspend, hibernate, lock, shutdown. They aren’t disappear from Status menu.

• @just said in GNOME - Right top corner shutdown/sleep icons disappear:

Gnome shell extensions, preinstalled in Antergos

Who maintains this extensions and how are they updated?

(I will not go to that much trouble as i run a dekstop full of LXC’s and therefore I never turn it off…)

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• @izznogooood

Antergos have some as packages for the default configuration and there are the gnome-shell-extensions comes with a package from Arch-extra-Repo.
    So updating is aoutomatic over our packagemanagement.
    If you uninstall them you need to track on your own for updates or install an extension to do so ;)
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1166/extension-update-notifier/

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @chrisflr said in GNOME - Right top corner shutdown/sleep icons disappear:

@archmuon The Status menu buttons extension should be installed by default. Enable that and disable hibernate status button.

Just for the story, this trick will not work if you are on wayland!

• @just said in GNOME - Right top corner shutdown/sleep icons disappear:

I solved the problem by removing all Gnome shell extensions, preinstalled in Antergos - the folder /usr/share/gnome-shell/extetnsions must disappear, when everything is removed - and by replacing them all with extensions from Gnome Shell Extensions site. There are all kinds of status buttons extensions there - suspend, hibernate, lock, shutdown. They aren’t disappear from Status menu.

It seems we can’t remove the gnome-shell-extensions package without uninstalling gnome-shell, due to dependencies. Could you help with specific steps to try this approach to safely remove the preinstalled extensions without damaging any other dependencies?

Thanks

• @archmuon said in GNOME - Right top corner shutdown/sleep icons disappear:

gnome-shell-extensions

yaourt -R gnome-shell-extensions                              130 ↵
    checking dependencies...

Packages (1) gnome-shell-extensions-3.24.2-1

Total Removed Size:  0.96 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n]

i do not have gnome-shell uninstalled if i do so…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

It seems we can’t remove the gnome-shell-extensions package without uninstalling gnome-shell, due to dependencies…

Yes, I remember about a complication like this one. Anyway, I’ve solved it somehow. Right now I’m busy with Stretch. Will turn to Antergos Gnome asap, and will try to recall how I workarounded this inconvenience.

Meanwhile, I confirm that all preinstalled Gnome Shell extensions are uninstalled from Antergos Gnome. And it continues to work normally.

It seems we can’t remove the gnome-shell-extensions package without uninstalling gnome-shell, due to dependencies. Could you help with specific steps to try this approach to safely remove the preinstalled extensions without damaging any other dependencies?

Hmm. I can’t find gnome-shell-extensions removal command in my bash history. It is strange. Anyway, I vaguely remember to have it removed with

sudo pacman -Rnsu gnome-shell-extensions

It’s important to not include -c (cascade) option in the -R command.

The command is the same already suggested by @joekamprad .

Actually, gnome-shell-extensions doesn’t seem to be a gnome-shell’s dependency. Because (you may check it yourself):

1. Re-installing gnome-shell does not install gnome-shell-extensions:

sudo pacman -Syu gnome-shell

2. In the huge gnome-shell dependencies tree gnome-shell-extensions is not present:

pactree gnome-shell

Go ahead and run

sudo pacman -Rnsu gnome-shell-extensions

Also uninstall all other packages which start with gnome-shell-ext.

As you can see here, I have no Gnome Shell extensions installed from regular repos:

┌──[just]@[alexasg]:~$
    └─> pacsearch gnome-shell
    antergos/chrome-gnome-shell 9-1
        Native integration of extensions.gnome.org with GNOME Shell for Chromium-based browsers.
    antergos/gnome-shell-extension-dash-to-dock 1:57-1 (gnome-shell-extensions)
        A gnome-shell extension that transforms the dash into an intellihide dock.
    antergos/gnome-shell-extension-panel-osd 1.0.r98-1 (gnome-shell-extensions)
        A gnome-shell extension to place shell notifications under the panel instead of above the message-tray.
    antergos/gnome-shell-extension-status-menu-buttons 0.3-2
        Adds a hibernate, suspend, & lock button to the status menu.
    antergos/gnome-shell-extension-topicons 1:20-1 (gnome-shell-extensions)
        Shows legacy tray icons on the top panel.
    extra/gnome-shell 3.24.2-1 (gnome) [installed]
        The next generation GNOME Shell
    extra/gnome-shell-extensions 3.24.2-1 (gnome)
        Extensions for GNOME shell, including classic mode
    community/arc-gtk-theme 20170302-2
        A flat theme with transparent elements for GTK 3, GTK 2 and Gnome-Shell
    community/arc-solid-gtk-theme 20170302-2
        A flat theme for GTK 3, GTK 2 and Gnome-Shell (without transparency)
    local/chrome-gnome-shell-git 9.r6.g0529f57-1 [installed]
        Native connector for integration with extensions.gnome.org
    ┌──[just]@[alexasg]:~$
    └─> 

The only two installed are gnome-shell itself, and chrome-gnome-shell-git for Chromium integration with Gnome Shell extensions site.

You can always restore the whole system from a recent backup. You have a backup, haven’t you :) ?

shutdownsleep1 corner3 top10 gnome242 Posts 27Views 1958