• Can't boot from live USB.

Yet another can’t boot from a live USB topic, sorry about that. I have a new LG Gram laptop running windows 10 and I’ve tried every method mentioned on the forum to get it to boot into live USB but nothing seem to work. I’ve tried burning it with Etcher, USB writer, Rufus in regular ISO as well as dd mode. Tried disabling UEFI but it still won’t load, when I open boot menu and choose the usb stick, the screen just blinks and nothing happens. I was able to load linux mint and ubuntu successfully but not antergos and manjaro (same problem). Does anyone have an idea what else I can try to make it work? Thanks in advance!

• Also just tried burning Opensuse Tumbleweed and had the same problem. Tried loading from it on my older dell laptop and it worked well.

• @tgmrecords Hi friend!
    Did you disable fastboot mode too?
    Does your Bios give you an option to boot the USB from both Legacy or EFI mode? (if so, some of them work?)

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Hi Fernando, yeah, I tried disabling it, nothing changed unfortunately. the BIOS on this machine has very limited advanced options, 4 to be precise:

1. USB Legacy support
    2. UEFI Boot
    3. Legacy OS Boot
    4. RTC WakeUp from s4
  • @tgmrecords said in Can't boot from live USB.:

Hi Fernando, yeah, I tried disabling it, nothing changed unfortunately. the BIOS on this machine has very limited advanced options

I use rufus here and works fine. When you’re using rufus do you accept some pop up message asking you to download aditional files? (you should accept as it helps the OS to boot from USB)

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• you can also disable secure boot out of Windows, may a better solution for limited EFI-BIOS?
    Because if the ISO does not boot at all seems to be linked to something like secure boot do not permit booting from USB Stick…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    how to add system logs

• Rufus, unfortunately, doesn’t work with any config. Yeah, it seems like Secure Boot can be the issue, I didn’t know you can switch it off from windows, will google how to do that. My BIOS doesn’t have this option. Thanks for your help!

• @tgmrecords Only disable fastboot and secure boot. Use Rufus and select GPT option
    alt text

• @edconocerte said in Can't boot from live USB.:

@tgmrecords Only disable fastboot and secure boot. Use Rufus and select GPT option

Thanks edconocerte, will try the setting when I figure out how to switch off secure boot.

live32 usb57 boot154 Posts 9Views 476