• Alt-tab task switcher visualizations - None work

I have an Antergos system all up to date with KDE desktop.

I assume it’s Plasma 5, though there is no obvious way to discover the version of KDE through KDE itself, which seems like an oversight!

Anyway, I would like Alt-tab task switching to give me something useful as a visual indicator of what I am switching to.

I have found my way to Settings->Window Management->Task Switcher

But none of the ‘Visualization’ options therein seem to work. Nothing on my screen changes when I am Alt-tab-ing.

Until recently, only ‘Breeze’ worked. Now even that one does not.

I have kdeplasma-addons installed. Even uninstalled & reinstalled.
    No visualizations.

Any clue how to get this working?

Possible hint to the problem:
    If I run kcmshell5 kwintabbox in an xterm, I get a bunch of outputs: (7 times to be precise)

kf5.kcoreaddons.desktopparser: Could not locate service type file kservicetypes5/kwin-windowswitcher.desktop, tried ("/home/peter/.local/share", "/usr/share", "/usr/local/share")

[Was peterg4000 but got sick of that lame user name. And no, the photo is not actually me]

• @spechter said in Alt-tab task switcher visualizations - None work:

…I assume it’s Plasma 5, though there is no obvious way to discover the version of KDE through KDE itself, which seems like an oversight!..

kinfocenter

For Cover and Flip switches visualisations to work, Rendering backend (System Settings --> Display and Monitor --> Compositor) must be set either to OpenGL 2.0 or to OpenGL 3.1. Only Breeze and Breeze Dark switches work if it is set to XRender.

• @just - Thanks. After installing kinfocenter it says KDE Plasma 5.10.1. (Would be ideal if there was a ‘right-click->About’ somewhere…)

Cover and Flip switches worked when I activate OpenGL.

But I didn’t really want anything that grandiose, and all the other continue to not work, including Breeze.

Any thoughts on how I might get the others to work?

[Was peterg4000 but got sick of that lame user name. And no, the photo is not actually me]

• @spechter said in Alt-tab task switcher visualizations - None work:

…Any thoughts on how I might get the others to work?

I never install kdeplasma-addons, so have no idea what “others” could mean. There are only 4 default switches here - Breeze, Breeze Dark, Cover, Flip. With OpenGL enabled, they always work flawlessly. It’s the 1st time when I hear about this problem.

• @just - Thanks for the tip. I uninstalled kdeplasma-addons, and now I have “Breeze” and “Thumbnail Grid” working again.
    My “Breeze Dark” continues to not work.
    I still have 5 others besides the 4 you listed. Mostly they don’t work, except for “Thumbnail Grid”.
    And in fact, that’s close to the style I was looking for. So it’ll do.

Weird that this is so flaky. I tend to tweak display setting for speed, not candy/animations, so maybe I’ve disabled something that upsets many of the visualizations…

Solved for now. Thanks again.

window manager6 task switcher1 kde102 Posts 5Views 144