• Installing over Wifi

Hi all, first time poster here.

I’m looking to purchase a Lenovo T470 and do a full Linux install, since I want to switch away from Windows. I’ve played around with Antergos GNOME in VM and decided that this would be my distro of choice. I’m still quite new to Linux (only started messing with different distros in the last two months, always been a Windows guy previously) so I hope you guys may forgive me for asking some stupid questions. I want to make sure I understand what I’m doing before I actually go ahead with the installation.

1. The Lenovo T470 I’m purchasing will come with Intel wireless adapter 8265. I’ve done some digging on Google and it seems for any kernel under 4.6 the corresponding driver will be absent; therefore any chance of installing over WiFi will be gone if this kernel is used. When I install using live session, what kernel will the live session use?

2. I have yet to attempt installing Antergos on any real hardware; so far my experiences are limited to VM. When I was installing Antergos on the VM using live session however, I could not find any indication of enabling/detecting WiFi. I clicked on the wired connection icon but I could not find any WiFI-related settings. Even after installing I could not find anything related. Where do I go when in live session to enable WiFi scanning and connection to proceed with installation?

That’s all the questions I have for now, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• @bitglass , welcome. Thinkpads are considered amongst the most linux-friendly laptops. You ve done your research, gave you checked this out?
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php

@bitglass said

could not find any indication of enabling/detecting WiFi. I clicked on the wired connection

I guess you were wired? If so, unplug it.Cnchi (the installer) gives you a pop up msg that you need an Internet connection and you should get to Wifi by just clicking in the corresponding area.

@bitglass said :

Where do I go when in live session to enable WiF

If the above doesn t work, you should go to System Settings and look fot connection settings.
    Remember to give the “try Antergos” option a try first, before you actually install it to check that everything works ok.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch

Thanks for the response. Since I was installing over VM, I guess it was normal to default to wired connection.

After checking the Arch Linux wiki, it seems that the T470 series should support the Intel wireless module, although not explicitly stated (since the T470 series comes with two different wireless module, depending on which one the buyer chooses).

Anyways, I will try to dig deeper before I commit to the full installation. The Arch Linux wiki seems pretty daunting however, some entries I just don’t really understand. Guess I’ll just keep trying!

• @bitglass said

I will try to dig deeper before I commit to the full installation

Well. as I said before, Thinkpads are considered to be extremely Linux-friendly. Just choose the “Try Antergos” option to make sure that everything works good (sound, xideo, etc) before actually getting to install it.
    Cheers

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @bitglass said in Installing over Wifi:

The Arch Linux wiki seems pretty daunting however, some entries I just don’t really understand.

Well you seem to at least understand them better than I do, seeing as how I don’t think I have EVER come across an article that I understand at all. (Okay, maybe one, but that was a truly rare occasion, and the only reason I even understood that one was that I had previously found the same information in a more noob friendly article somewhere else:smile:).

But the point I am trying to make is that even though the Antergos Wiki isn’t nearly as extensive as the Arch Wiki, I can normally just find the solution to my questions by asking on this forum. Everyone here is extremely kind and understanding. In fact, I would go so far as to say that this is the nicest forum I have ever come across! If you just ask for "“noob friendly answers” or something like that, even the @developers will do so for you in a kind manner that actually expresses real concern about your problem, whatever it may be.

Hope this helps! (and puts your mind at ease).

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antergos-deepin
    https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @A-User said

even though the Antergos Wiki isn’t nearly as extensive as the Arch Wiki, I can normally just find the solution to my questions by asking on this forum

A timesaving step before doing the above, is search adding the word Arch or Antergos (or both) in the search parameters. I Have found most of my answers this way -:)

installing55 wifi74 Posts 6Views 298