• Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution

The problem is that light-locker-settings set xset this way : xset s X dpms Y 0 0
    Where X = “Blank screen after” slider value and Y = “Switch off display after” slider value.

It should be xset s X dpms Y Y Y to make sure screen will go off in every case for every screen.

The behaviour of dpms is screen dependant and having xset dpms Y 0 0 is not enough to target every screen case scenario. We know that xset dpms values are Standby, Suspend, Off.

On my screen Standby = Off, Suspend = Off and Off = Off.

On your screen Standby = Blank, Suspend = ? and Off = Off.

This is why I suggested you to try this. It’s because I wanted to know how your screen react those different settings :

@iSpeakVeryWell said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

I think dpms behaviour depend of each screen. Some screen won’t react to suspend or standby but will react to off. Others will react to all. Mine for example react to all dpms modes. I’ve tried this (I suggest you do too!) :

1. xset dpms 5 0 0
    2. xset dpms 0 5 0
    3. xset dpms 0 0 5
    4. xset dpms 5 5 5

Let us know how it goes for you!

The most efficient way to test this, is to open a terminal, to paste line one, to wait 5 secondes to see the result, to note the result and repeat this process with line 2, 3 and 4.

With the information you gave to use in your last post, we now know those result:

1. xset dpms 5 0 0 = Blank
    2. xset dpms 0 5 0 = We don’t know yet
    3. xset dpms 0 0 5 = Off
    4. xset dpms 5 5 5 = We don’t know yet

What I wish for, is that the line “xset dpms 5 5 5” will result in screen going Off instead of going Blank. Because it would show that “Off > Blank” and that xset dpms Y Y Y is the way to go in light-locker-settings.

• Well, the bug that I commented on in previous posts is simply that line 695 should be:

/usr/share/light-locker-settings/light-locker-settings/light-locker-settings.py
            # Build the screen-blank/off command.
            screensaver_exec = "xset s %i dpms 0 0 %i" % (screenblank_timeout, screenoff_timeout)

DPMS should work here in most scenarios and will do what we want: turn the screen off. About the convenience or not of using the values of <Standby >and <Suspend> in case the <Off> value doesn’t work for some reason, I really don’t know, it’s a question of trial and error to see what results we get. Let’s see what other users say. In my three computers, one desktop and one laptop, <Off> seems to work fine but having different values might help with different hardware specs.

And just to make sure if other users reading all these posts are getting confused (over 60 posts), DPMS and xset in light locker settings will be effective only with gsd-power plugin disabled. However, if you use @khedron’s settings in dconf, gsd-power plugin must be enabled.

• May we can put this in a howto?

• @joekamprad I think it’s a great idea! Lots of useful info is being shared here but it should be organized.

@iSpeakVeryWell “xset dpms 5 5 5” turns off screen as expected in my case, there are not any incompatibility issues in repeating the same value in the three parameters, so yes, it can be the way to go.

• To confirm, i just set the light-locker-settings.py
    with this:

screensaver_exec = "xset s %i dpms 0 0 %i" % (screenblank_timeout, screenoff_timeout)

and it do what it should do…

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=Bildschirmschoner
    Comment=Zeitüberschreitung des Bildschirmschoners einstellen
    Exec=xset s 360 dpms 0 0 480

• @johnnybegood said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

@iSpeakVeryWell “xset dpms 5 5 5” turns off screen as expected in my case, there are not any incompatibility issues in repeating the same value in the three parameters, so yes, it can be the way to go.

I think this is the way to go since I’ve read somewhere that some old screen do not implement Off function, only Standby and Suspend are available for them. From what I understand, “Off > Standby && Suspend”. If we put xset dpms Y Y Y, we make sure to cover as many situations as possible. I think this is the most compatible way to do it.

• @joekamprad said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

To confirm, i just set the light-locker-settings.py
    with this:

and it do what it should do…

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=Bildschirmschoner
    Comment=Zeitüberschreitung des Bildschirmschoners einstellen
    Exec=xset s 360 dpms 0 0 480

I think I will go submit a fix in github. I suggest that we change line 695 for this one :

screensaver_exec = "xset s {0} dpms {1} {1} {1}".format(screenblank_timeout, screenoff_timeout)

• Pull request done. Is that alright with you @joekamprad?

• I agree very much!

• I don’t think we gonna have an answer from Gnome team :(

• @iSpeakVeryWell said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

I don’t think we gonna have an answer from Gnome team :(

Do not worry! Ubuntu will implement the next week! (JOKE)

• Yeah, it’s a sad outcome. It disappoint me a lot.

• arbitrary

is a word of condescension.

I use Gnome for more then a decade (since 1999) so as long as it exist ;)
    And in antithesis to KDE <- >Gnome is a Desktop Evironment, and as this Gnome is the desktop itself, they include the DM with this: As it always was!

• Seriously, Gnome is the DE I like the most of those I’ve tried so far, but it’s not perfect. They just proved me that they think the complete opposite way than I do and I don’t know if I can continue to use Gnome after that.

A part of me want to start to develop my own DE, but another part of me is Laughing Out Loud when I think of it. I know it’s a crazy idea to develop a DE… it require a lot of time, a lot of knowledge, it’s a very hard and complex task and you can’t think of doing it alone. But in the other hand, it can be very fun, it can be a very rewarding and educative process.

I can’t find a DE I enjoy as much as I want. So I’m left with two options right now. Use something I don’t enjoy to use that much… or try to develop my own DE that I think I will enjoy more.

To be, or not to be, that is the question.

• @iSpeakVeryWell
    I’d propose not to use GTK3 when you build your own DE.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

@iSpeakVeryWell
    I’d propose not to use GTK3 when you build your own DE.
    J.

I won’t!

In fact, if I start to dev my own DE, I plan to use no tool kit at all. No GTK, no Qt.

• Well, guys, I don’t want to be a wet blanket here. We’re all disappointed with Gnome devs’ answer (I really am, don’t misunderstand me) and we would have liked another kind of response. I’m under the impression that there are other DEs like Cinnamon which pay more attention to the user in my opinion, but we wanted to find a solution to the problem. It would have been great to do it at the source, but as it is not possible, we still have the two choices we mentioned:

• Fully functional light-locker with the changes suggested by @iSpeakVeryWell and adopted by @lots-0-logs if we hack the desktop file and totally disable gsd-power plugin

• Partly functional light-locker (only locking possibilities) with the dconf settings provided by @khedron

I don’t know if the Antergos team should consider to adopt one of these possibilities or not, maybe publish it on the wiki if it isn’t.

On the other hand, I’d love to see @iSpeakVeryWell’s DE, it’s great to have as much choice in Linux as possible, that’s what Linux is about! As you say yourself, it is an ardous task and I really hope you can make it!

• @johnnybegood said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

I’d love to see @iSpeakVeryWell’s DE

Same here! I’ve considered the same thing myself before, making my own DE that is. However, my Community ISO for Antergos has been really keeping me busy, so I haven’t gotten a chance to try my hand at makng a DE. I would love to see yours though, @iSpeakVeryWell, if you ever decide to make one😀.

gnome361 lightdm137 lightlocker4 research2 Posts 93Views 25478
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.