• Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution

As title say, we have some problems here so i want to collect what we find out, and find a working solution.

1. light-locker is not saving the settings
    2. on some systems it do not work at all
    3. It seems that gnome only work together with GDM out of the box, for Display power settings and stuff like suspend e.t.c.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• As @anarch say here: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7119/screen-energy-control/6
    Ubuntu have some working on it…
    Bild Text

I am just on installing it and will have a look what they are configurating on it…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• I referred to buntu because lightDM is developed by Canonical since their 11.10 release and it is nothing more than a GDM without Gnome libraries and dependences.
    Even before deciding their transition to default Gnome 3, Unity was practically based on Gnome Shell and there was no need for eg light locker or anything to work.
    Technically, I m afraid I m not capable of helping much, but is this of any help?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Afaik, Unity is/was a compiz plugin. Compiz does not work with the Gnome Shell which requires Mutter as WM.
    J.

• UPDATE
    “We’ve attempted to get the GNOME Shell lock screen running with LightDM and using GNOME Shell as a LightDM Greeter. Which this still seems possible, it’s not easy to patch GNOME Shell as the GDM code is hard to decouple,” Ancell explains.
    “Given the workload we have and the risks in modifying GNOME the decision is to use GDM for 17.10 and thus 18.04 LTS.” :angel:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Har Har - hard to decouple… that is sounding expectant!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad

to item 1:

I observe the same behavior for the “screensaver” section in Light Locker. But as long as Light Locker is being enabled and “Automatically lock the session” is set to “When the screensaver is activated” this shouldn’t be a problem. Or in other words for me the combination of the screensaver (configured in “All Settings” -> “Power”) together with Light Locker works fine.

• @khedron said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

screensaver

what does you mean with screensaver?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad

So, my config of light locker:

0_1497296401062_32be6a32-ab7f-419f-838c-15f811c6f3c0-undefined

With screensaver I mean the config of the power settings (blank screen):

0_1497296547527_975b825e-cb31-4abb-b41b-167b79a62294-undefined

In my understanding the screensaver is triggered through power management. When the screensaver is activated this leads to an additional trigger to LighLocker to lock the screen.

• @khedron Your telling us that you managed to make the screensaver trigger as expected at expected time? How? I’ve tried so hard to achieve that and I always failed. The only thing I managed to accomplish are to setup my computer to trigger the screensaver after 5 minutes of idle to comeback 2 hours later with my screen opened burning his pixels. I just can’t stand a screen open while idling, so I gave up and I switched to GDM.

New Linux user | No more Windows in my life No more Windows at home | In love with Antergos && Arch! | A lot to learn!

• @iSpeakVeryWell
    Yes, it’s working on my computer with the settings I’ve posted above.

Are the locker and the screensaver configured in the startup applications section in the tweak tool?

• Yes, they were!

New Linux user | No more Windows in my life No more Windows at home | In love with Antergos && Arch! | A lot to learn!

• I’ve tried really hard, not only with the settings provided by khedron but also playing with xscreensaver, xset and light-locker settings.

In my understanding, gnome settings daemon overrides all those settings (I think that about every minute) and makes it impossible to make them permanent. For example, if you set ‘xset s 60’, the screen will go blank in a minute and will trigger light-locker, but once resumed from idle, ‘xset -q’ returns different values (everything is set to 0, both screensaver and dpms). If you choose values that are something like ‘xset s 240’, the screensaver will not be activated after four minutes because those settings were overridden.

I really have no idea how to stop this behaviour but I hope it can be of any help. The only way I have managed to dim and turn off screen when desired in my laptop is by using dimdaemon from AUR.

• @johnnybegood said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

I’ve tried really hard, not only with the settings provided by khedron but also playing with xscreensaver, xset and light-locker settings.

I did the exacts same things. Light-locker settings work very well and do it’s job as expected (generate the .desktop file in autostart folder). xset configurations always get overridden with 0s for I don’t know which reason.

• @johnnybegood said in Lightdm + lightlocker under Gnome research for a working solution:

Gnome settings daemon overrides all those settings (I think that about every minute) and makes it impossible to make them permanent.

This is what the problem is calling!
    May we need to hack into gnome settings daemon.

/etc/xdg/autostart/org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.ScreensaverProxy.desktop

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @johnnybegood
    What’s the content of your ‘screensaver-settings.desktop’ file? Is there a line like:

“Exec=xset s 300 dpms 0 0 0”?

• @khedron Yes, there is. I have different settings I have tried, depending on the minutes I chose (also including 0 minutes following your suggestion) but it doesn’t really matter, those settings get overwritten. On the other hand, I have played with different energy values also in Gnome settings but, in my case, they never pass to the system unless you use gdm.

I really think gnome settings daemon takes over the screensaver settings, which work out of the box if you use gdm but never work when you use lightdm, at least with Gnome 3.24 in my experience. That could also explain why dimdaemon doesn’t work in gdm but it does in lightdm, because it is a daemon that is constantly monitoring and rewriting the energy settings that the user has chosen.

• @joekamprad I am no expert, but I definitely think so.

• @johnnybegood
    This is really strange. My understanding is that lightlocker is only a simple session locker and it does locking the session after the screensaver used on the system is activated. In other words lightlocker has no screensaver capabilities and you can’t configure the screensaver through lightlocker.

Have you tried to change the settings in the ‘screensaver-settings.desktop’ file manually?

• @khedron Yes, I have. In my view, light locker settings has the ability to activate the screensaver through the ‘xset s’ command that it inserts in ‘screensaver-settings.desktop’ file that you mention. The problem that I have is those values are not set permanently but overwritten somehow. I don’t know, maybe it’s different in your case, but I have tried on three different computers (two desktops and one laptop) with no luck at all. I haven’t managed to make it work…

research1 gnome244 lightdm96 lightlocker4 Posts 91Views 7340