• Kernel 4.11 breaks right click on Touchpad DELL 3542 (Synaptic)

Kernel 4.10 recognises touchpad as DLL0651:00 06CB:2985 and am able to use right-click using the physical button.
    Kernel 4.11 recognises touchpad as Synaptics s3203 but the right click button does not physically work.

I had the same issue on Opensuse tumbleweed when they updated their
    kernel and same on Ubuntu 17.04 linux 4.11, (I even posted on their forum https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2361882

I don’t have enough permission to upload any .txt files (I have them linked on ubuntu’s forum)

I posted the same message on Ubuntu’s forum, pabilities. (The numbers represent kernel version)

• I looked on http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa…11-rc1/CHANGES and found

"HID: rmi: Make hid-rmi a transport driver for synaptics-rmi4"
    “HID: rmi: Handle all Synaptics touchpads using hid-rmi”

Perhaps this is what caused this bug to occur for hid_rmi? https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/3/28/1234

• Kernel 4.11 breaks right click on Touchpad DELL 3542 (Synaptic)
    Kernel 4.10 recognises touchpad as DLL0651:00 06CB:2985 and am able to use right-click using the physical button.
    Kernel 4.11 recognises touchpad as Synaptics s3203 but the right click button does not physically work.

I had the same issue on Opensuse tumbleweed when they updated their kernel to 4.11.

I have copied xinput list-props from both kernels and found that I am losing capabilities. (The numbers represent kernel version)

As the link says:

reducing the kernel, it happens the same, you have tried?

At least until the problem is solved. (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226512)

Mis respetos.-

• I removed xf86-input-synaptics. This would have your system use libinput. In Gnome mouse and touchpad settings, more options appear. You may want to try whether uninstalling xf86-input-synaptics resolves your issue.

• @antimony said in Kernel 4.11 breaks right click on Touchpad DELL 3542 (Synaptic):

I removed xf86-input-synaptics. This would have your system use libinput. In Gnome mouse and touchpad settings, more options appear. You may want to try whether uninstalling xf86-input-synaptics resolves your issue.

Good advice. See also this and this threads.

• Synaptic ==> Xorg

Libinput ==>Wayland

Does it mean that if you delete xf86-input-synaptics from Xorg and it works, then you are working on Wayland or can I be wrong?

Mis respetos.-

• @judd for xorg to use libinput, you just need the compat file xorg. see here for your reference and the file to install

And I agree with removing the synaptic driver.

Loves me some rolling distro and Antergos-Arch
    Sys: Antergos + KDE; GTX 1070 + nvidia package :)

• I have found that it is a kernel bug relating to "hid_rmi"
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195949

“I have the same issue on my Dell 9Q33 (similar innards to 9333). After bisecting, the issue does indeed appear after the introduction of hid_rmi. It seems that the f54 probe has a race condition that corrupts a future read, and when the probing tries to read the next function’s data, it gets a garbled mess.”

I’m attaching a hacky patch as a workaround while I look into the root cause, can you try it on a 9333?

• @n_mag said in Kernel 4.11 breaks right click on Touchpad DELL 3542 (Synaptic):

@judd for xorg to use libinput, you just need the compat file xorg. see here for your reference and the file to install

And I agree with removing the synaptic driver.

Ok, thanks for clarifying, I answered without looking before, is that Wayland makes me very angry. Although, as they say, it is the one that replaced Xorg. :)

Mis respetos.-

• @judd it depends on the DE from what I have noticed as it pertains to wayland. KDE is pretty good on 5.10 as I was having some application crashes on 5.9 but the KDE team has been doing amazing work the last several releases and they’re adding useful features and fixing bugs like crazy. The gnome side it’s pretty good in wayland but overall the smoothness of gnome doesn’t touch plasma. Mutter is just slow from my experience and according to the Chris Fischer who owns Jupiter Broadcasting.

Now, I am using Xorg mainly with plasma 5.10 since there are some lingering issues I reported recently on the bug tracker for wayland on 5.10 with the settings menus and such but much fewer crashes than 5.9 :). Thankfully with sddm and other lock screens you can always choose what yo want and test DE’s out so easily

Loves me some rolling distro and Antergos-Arch
    Sys: Antergos + KDE; GTX 1070 + nvidia package :)

• Really and I am very sincere, many years ago that KDE is away from my laptop, since I always wanted to configure and always ended in disaster, I have not yet given a chance to the new versions. Is my 51 years already weighing me … ;)

With respect to that Gnome works better in Wayland than with KDE, if that is true, since it is reflected in many forums. In my humble understanding and I am no expert, only a self-taught in this of computer science, I prefer and as I am doing now, not having so much software spinning; So I have decided, after many years with Gnome, which I have learned a lot, install in all my machines OpenBox, since it is fast, consumes few resources and being more minimalistic I like it very much.

Finally and with regard to Xorg. And Wayland … time is a great lord, and we shall see later that he is before us.

Sorry for my translated English (thanks to Chromium), my mother tongue is Spanish.

Mis respetos.-

4.111 kernel64 click10 breaks13 Posts 11Views 317