• Change Console Resolution

I want to change and keep my virtual console resolution to 640x480x32.

Here

• list item is my /etc/defagihttp://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/london-bridge-attack/london-bridge-attack-american-hit-head-police-bullet-witness-says-n768186ult/grub file

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=640x480x24
    GRUB_GFXMODE=769
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Antergos"
    GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL=green/black
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet resume=UUID=3abb0425-b992-4c79-a7c8-c9d33bbc30fc"
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true
    GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console
    GRUB_THEME=”/boot/grub/themes/Antergos-Default/theme.txt"
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES=“part_gpt part_msdos”

Here are the POSTS in order of submission:

This is something which used to be very easy to do with old GRUB, unfortunately it also set the X resolution which now with high resolution graphics would not work.

If you don’t see well, you can adjust the size of the fonts, which is wonderful.

Unfortunately the resulting virtual console font is very small. Also many of the console or CLI applications are written for 640x480 resolution and if I run these on my console, they are very small.

Is there a way to easily change the virtual console font on the fly, or an easy way of keeping the console at a low resolution while allowing X Windows to run a high resolution which is what modern monitors and operating systems including GNOME and KDE especially want?

I’ve tried searching for this, but it seems very complicated because when GRUB was changed KMS kernel mode set came about and if I am correct this is one of several problems in setting a low 640x480 resolution on virtual console.

Note: I am not talking about Terminal which runs in X server, this is fine. I need to change the virtual console font or resolution so it appears to be using 640x480 resolution so that CLI users can see the applications in larger font size or decreased resolution. Console is accessed by pressing ALT + CTRL plus a number from 1 to 9, like ALT+CTL+2 (all at the same time). You can move console to console by ALT + right or left cursor key.

Thanks in advance,

djringjr

===================================

seth posted this most helpful response and I wrote him after the Admin dust binned the topic.

[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Setting_the_framebuffer_resolution](link url)
    or
    [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Disable_framebuffer](link url)

Also

man fbset

for runtime manipulation.

=================

Then I posted the /etc/default/grub file above and the subject was placed in trash.

I still need help, seth’s advice helped but I still see small letters in console. I can adjust terminal in X windows (in KDE or other Desktop Environment) but I’m insterested in large letters or lower resolution in the virtual console which I access by using Alt+Ctrl+F(2-6) keys all pressed at once. The boot up sequence is on console 1 and the X server with KDE is on console 7.

I really wish someone would write a script to do this because the people most likely to need this do not see well.

Please if you can, help me.

Thanks,

djringjr

• Arch-WIKI Say:

My fonts are too tiny
    See Fonts#Console fonts for how to change your console font to a large font. The Terminus font (terminus-font) is available in many sizes, such as ter-132n which is larger.
    Alternatively, disabling KMS by appending nomodeset as a kernel parameter will also make fonts readable.

setfont temporarily change the font if passed a font name (in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/) such as

$ setfont lat2-16 -m 8859-2

The FONT variable in /etc/vconsole.conf is used to set the font at boot, persistently for all consoles. See man 5 vconsole.conf for details.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

resolution12 console4 Posts 3Views 302