• Laptop recommendation

Wanted: Laptop, 17 inch display, Intel i7, 16 Gb RAM, Nvidia non-optimus GPU, Intel Wireless, available in germany.
    Any recommendations?
    J.

• @Jeannie____ Yes. No Asus. Never for Linux.

• Uhm.
    Allright. So I 'll ask for a “No Asus” Laptop at all dealers and get what I want?
    J.

• @Jeannie____ It’s always a pleasure to hear from you.

Laptop

Ok

17 inch display

Ok

Intel i7

Very good

16 Gb RAM

Good, but doesn’t needed so much by native Linux

Nvidia non-optimus GPU

Doubt that laptops without Optimus exist nowdays. A pure, very recent Nvidia may be worse than a good old Optimus.

Intel Wireless

Excellent

Just a joke. Don’t take it too seriously.

• MSi GS73VR Stealth Pro

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• @Jeannie____ said in Laptop recommendation:

…So I 'll ask for a “No Asus” Laptop at all dealers and get what I want?..

I’d reformulate it to “I’m looking for Acer”.

Acer’s devices are good with Linux.

Others - Dell, Sony, HP, Lenovo, MSI - fail frequently. It’s only a personal experience. Yours may be different.

• @just said in Laptop recommendation:
    MSI - fail frequently. It’s only a personal experience. Yours may be different.

You need a script to control the fan on the older ones, at least i could do that. But I imagine you are going to dualboot? You wont be able to use all that GFX power under linux. At least not yet…

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• Found something with a bios switch to disable optimus:
    Schenkler MYSN P707
    It even fits my budget.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ Looks good. For 1’450 euro which they’re asking for.

I’d expect troubles with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 under Linux. But you know better what you’re doing.

Seems to be a good device.

• @just Can you explain why? I’m using Asus Zenbook 13 with Antergos. I had initially installed Ubuntu, but later installed Apricity. Had no problem with Apricity until the project was shut down last month. I created a website in late 2016 for linux-on-laptops - about my experience with Asus Zenbook and Antergos. I’d love to hear what you have to say about Linux on Asus.

• @kaustubhghadge

I tried to explain many times why Asus seems to be a bad choice for Linux. To not repeat the same things every year, I’ll try to do another thing now.

I’m on Linux forums for about 10 years. 8 years ago I started to make a statistics about the hardware failing under Linux, for whichever reason.

It’s nothing serious or scientific, it is not published anywhere, I’m doing it just out of curiosity, for a personal use only. I don’t want to do an ad or anti-ad.

When a post mentions a problematic hardware, I simply increment by 1 the counter of failures for a specific hardware manufacturer. It’s that simple. Failures counters for single manufacturers vary from a dozen to hundreds.

I don’t pretend to follow all current computer manufacturers, only a very short list of them.

Surely, statistics are not reliable. They may prove everything. Anyway, the results here are:

• Acer 1%
    • Fujitsu 2%
    • Dell 5%
    • HP 7%
    • Sony 10%
    • Lenovo 12%
    • MSI 16%
    • Asus 30%
    • Others 17%

Obviously, the statistic is heavily influenced by how widely each single brand is spreaded. Asus has a very strong point - it’s cheap. That is why it is probably the most widely spreaded.

The old thing. Cheapest is the dearest.

Let’s try to stay on topic. @Jeannie____ asked for opinions about a new hardware to buy. Let’s try to not transform the topic in a discussion about hardware pros and cons.

Regards

• @Jeannie____

General comment on vendors:

I had serious problems with an Acer machine bought last year (model: VN7-792G-5484). Had my best experiences with Linux on Lenovo and HP in the last 10 years.

First I would search for candidates meeting your criteria on notebookcheck.com and then search the net for experiences with Linux for those notebooks.

• @joekamprad
    Thanks for the recommendation of the Slimbook, but the display is too small and the 940m optimus gpu isn’t only not powerfull enough for me, it also uses optimus, so it’s a no-go.

• dell inspiron Also good on price and hardware… BUT gpu NVIDIA GeForce 940MX…
    Mostly you will find 17" Screen + Nvidia dedicated GPU with this 9XXMX (middlerange) or 10XX GPU (HighEnd but problematic with actual drivers)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• 940Mx, also optimus, so not of interrest for me.
    There are problems with the 10xx series and the drivers? Which drivers are you refering to? Nvidia or Nouveau? I read that Nouveau doesn’t support them yet.
    J.

• exactly… and i see more then 5 users have problems with nvidia drivers too on 10XX series…
    But as almost all New Gaming Notebook will be shipped with 10XX series GPU there will be solutions soon…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• Slimbook, “by” @joekamprad , looks very good. But seems like it has a glossy, glare screen.

A glossy screen will make colors to seem more vibrant and will make blacks seem deeper.

A matte screen, without reflections, may be easier on eyes. Especially if you’re reading or coding a lot.

Just a thought.

• Glossy screens, another idiotic idea of so called designers, shinyness over usability.
    J.

recommendation2 laptop27 Posts 31Views 1020