• Steam Native VS Steam Runtime, your experiences?

(Read the whole post)
    I Installed Shadow of Mordor yesterday and was looking forward to some much needed downtime. I upped everything to ultra and expected the game to perform well / ok. Then to my surprise the graphics performance was absolutte shit (excuse my french).

1080p
    Nvidia GFX 1060 /3GB
    I7-4770
    32GB Ram
    SSD

Running the benchmark returned an average of 3fps…
    I spent an hour researching trying to figure out what was going on, but all tests online showed a 20-30% fps decrease compared to Win. Not 99%.

Then… As a last resort I fired up Steam-Runtime and did the same test. Averaging at 70fps…
    There has to be some libraries missing here?

Iv’e played CS GO, and other valve games with out issues Native, but I will definitely do some testing later to figure this out.

What are your experiences with Native vs Runtime?

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• The results with Steam-Native depend on many of the graphical libraries installed. I have drivers Nvidia owners, Mesa, Vulkan, OpenGl, …
    In Steam-Runtime, normally, all the games work.
    In Steam-Native there are some games that give problems (Alien Isolatio, others).
    One thing is certain, games on Steam-Native often work better.
    In Linux you need a more powerful pc than in Windows. This is not the fault of Linux but they are worse optimized.

Aprendiendo que no es poco

• Steam Native runs.
    Steam Run-time runs my nerves.

My relevant specs are: NVidia GTX 1050 Ti with proprietary drivers and kernel support libraries. My FPS can take a hit on occasion when entering a new map segment (basically on-the-fly loading), but that’s more than likely in-game memory management or openGL specific regarding rendering. Over all my FPS is very sustainable considering case using Borderlands 2 and Payday2 as bench specimen.

Don’t know how much this will help, but it’s all I got currently. Take care.

• @AG-TheRaven said in Steam Native VS Steam Runtime, your experiences?:

kernel support libraries.

What are those?

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

runtime1 steam52 native1 Posts 4Views 452