• fsarchiver help please.

Ok I do ok with Antergos but I am not so good with terminal commands. My old brain just cant get round anything but basic stuff like weekly updates etc. I have tried to follow @karasu wiki fsarchiver instructions but nothing is working for me. All I get is error messages, so I am doing something wrong for sure.
    What i want to do is backup my pc sda2 & sda3 partitions via usb /media/uzi with folder fsbackup then restore those to my laptop with same partitions. Can anyone using the KISS approach (I am definitely the SS part) guide me through?
    Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

• can you give partitiontables?

$ sudo fdisk -l

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @joekamprad

/dev/sda1  *         2048    524287    522240   255M 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2          524288  61964287  61440000  29.3G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3        61964288 376879103 314914816 150.2G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4       376879104 488394751 111515648  53.2G  5 Extended
    /dev/sda5       480417792 488394751   7976960   3.8G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda6       376881152 480415743 103534592  49.4G 83 Linux

• Laptop is a bare bones Antergos install with boot, root,home,swap

• @Uzi said in fsarchiver help please.:

All I get is error messages,…

Could you also post them here? Fsarchiver’s msgs may be of big help, to figure out what it doesn’t like.

• Errors like not recognising my usb drive. I need to start at the beginning & work through. First try was using system rescue cd as I had read that the sda2 & 3 should be unmounted. My USB was there using Gparted but using Karasu’s instructions it said run/media/uzi-fsbackup not found.

• then /run/media/uzi-fsbackup is there or not ?

cd /run/media/uzi-fsbackup
    ls

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

What i want to do is backup my pc sda2 & sda3 partitions via usb /media/uzi…

The basic syntax is simple:

sudo fsarchiver savefs MyArchive /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3

MyArchive may include a path and reside on any device, visible in file manager. For example:

/run/media/uzi/MyArchive

I’m sorry for possible typos. For a week ot two I’m on trip, only with tablet and away from any computers.

• @just So I dont need sda2 & 3 unmounted? I also dont need the all the other stuff off the wiki "sudo ionice fsarchiver savefs -v -j5 -z7 /run/media/just/alexboss-20170410-1200-sda1to4only-asg-asm-asc-asp-antergos174-example4forum /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sda4 && sync"
    I ran
    sudo ionice fsarchiver savefs -v -j5 -q7 /run/media/uzi/fsbackup /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 && sync

• " Antergos partitions are not mounted" ! need to be unmounted @just only show the basic command line… not talking about the exact way of doing all together…
    The options are very helpfull for safety of the process!

So I dont need sda2 & 3 unmounted?

Wrong! All partitions you want to backup must be unmounted. It’s very important.

Another thing, about USB not being recognized. Open the file manager and terminal, start to write the fsrchver command in terminal. When you’re at the point to type in an archive name, grag-and-drop any file from your USB into the terminal. Bash will automagically compose the correct path to the file on USB. Now, all you need to do is to replace in terminal the actual file name with the name of your archive.

• @just As I thought, that is why I used the rescue cd because it has fsarchiver on it and the partitions are not mounted. I will try the drag & drop suggestion.

sudo ionice fsarchiver savefs -v -j5 -q7 /run/media/uzi/fsbackup /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 && sync

This command is formally almost correct. Two points:

• not -q7 but -z7
    • the path /run/media/uzi/fsbackup must be correct

The rest of the command looks very good. Assuming that sda2 and sda3 are unmounted :) .

• @just sorry -z7 … typo

• alt text
    works like a charm ;)

• @just Ok it wasn’t the unmount but the MOUNT that was the problem. I needed to mount the usb drive but needed to ‘mkdir /media/usb’ then 'mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb

the command that worked was then ‘sudo ionice fsarchiver savefs -v -j5 -z7 (drag & dropped fsbackup folder) /media/usb/fsbackup /dev/sda3 && sync’

Worked :smiley: Thanks for putting me on the right track.

• @Uzi Ok, I’ll mark the topic as Solved then.

• @just I have succeeded in backing up my pc sda2 (root) partition to my USB drive but now I have the same frustrations with restoring that to sda2 on my laptop.

First off am I correct that the usb and sda2 on laptop must be mounted? If that is yes then I dont understand why following

ionice fsarchiver restfs -v -j5 /run/media/usb/fsbackup-sda2.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda && sync

Backup file is drag & dropped and laptop sda2 is mounted as sda. When I run I get error ‘cannot open archive run/media etc . fsa cannot read main header’

Sigh

@just I have succeeded in backing up my pc sda2 (root) partition to my USB drive but now I have the same frustrations with restoring that to sda2 on my laptop.

First off am I correct that the usb and sda2 on laptop must be mounted? If that is yes then I dont understand why following

ionice fsarchiver restfs -v -j5 /run/media/usb/fsbackup-sda2.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda && sync

Backup file is drag & dropped and laptop sda2 is mounted as sda. When I run I get error ‘cannot open archive run/media etc . fsa cannot read main header’

Sigh

@Uzi Too many questions in a single post. Next time try to split them in separate topics. I’ll try to respond to key points. These are not step-by-step instructions.

First off am I correct that the usb and sda2 on laptop must be mounted?

The source device - the one with your backup - must be mounted. Otherwise, Linux won’t be able to read the archive file. USB with archive must be mounted.

The destination partition - the one one you want overwrite by rstoring it from a backup - must be unmounted. Otherwise, Linux, won’t be able to format and write it from a backup. sda2 must be unmounted.

ionice fsarchiver restfs -v -j5 /run/media/usb/fsbackup-sda2.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda

You make a confusion with Linux devices and partitions labels. /dev/sda is a whole disk. You don’t want to reatore a whole disk. Fsarchiver, differently from Clonezilla, cannot do it.

You want to restore a single partition on a disk. It is called /dev/sda2. Not /dev/sda. The command should look like:

ionice fsarchiver restfs -v -j5 /run/media/usb/fsbackup-sda2.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda2

The only difference is the final 2 charachter in the command.

It’s another error, unrelated to previous ones. For some reason, fsarchiver cannot read the file with your archive. Don’t bother mounting/unmounting a device with archive (USB). Simply attach it and open it in file file manager. It will be mounted and readable automagically.

Drag-and-drop the archive file from file manager to fsarchiver’s restfs command in terminal. If the file was written correctly, bash won’t have a trouble to read it and to pass it to fsarchiver.

A final note. A rule of thumb in every forum - one post, one question. It’s difficult to comunicate otherwise.

• @just There are not multiple questions from my pov just parts of same question that need to be resolved to make sense of my single problem.

First off thanks for clarifying the need for sda2 on my laptop to be unmounted. Everything else on the laptop side is explained now i think.

As for my source issue I still do not understand. I have to mount the drive 1st so I can see the file. I dont know what you mean by - ‘Simply attach it and open it in file file manager. It will be mounted and readable automagically.’

please2 fsarchiver1 Posts 22Views 756