• Great Distro!

I was kind of stuck on Ubuntu because of Unity, but with the announcement of it’s “death” (Unity) I needed to look else ware. To make Ubuntu fit my needs I had to add a lot of PPA’s which in turn made it very unstable. I was getting sick of constant crashes and hiccups caused by the odd old package.

I wont lie, there where some swearing the first days after realizing Arch dont do much for “you”. But after reading a lot of Wiki’s and the Antergos forum I find my self now after one week being bored. Which is the greatest og compliments if you ask me!

I can use Antergos to do EVERY one of my daily tasks, I also had a lot of LXC’s that run constantly on my desktop. I migrated them all almost effortlessly, I even deleted a container, my arch container for access to the AUR on ubuntu ;)

A final thought. Gnome3 is a great Desktop DE. But on my laptop where i want the DM out of the way to do my work, Ill keep Ubuntu/Unity for now.

Great job! Thank you!

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• Welcome to Antergos!

• Welcome aboard, then! A question if I may.

@izznogooood said

Gnome3 is a great Desktop DM. But on my laptop where i want the DM out of the way to do my work, Ill keep Ubuntu/Unity for now.

How does Unity get out of your way? They are visually almost identical!:angel:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Of course you may!

Well, I guess thats a matter of opinion and habits i guess.

For me Unity feels lighter, when I open the lid after a hibernation Its online as soon as I enter my password (working 2sec after opening the lid). There’s less eyecandy and a more direct feeling when switching workspaces, moving windows / files etc. The feeling of working in unity is faster and less glitchy with on-board graphics. I feel more in contact with the “road” as you would driving a F1 car as to drive an Offroad car (exaggerated). So as any other Unity user I have a hard time explaining why, but there you have it.

On my desktop with two monitors and Nvidia graphics on the other hand, I will never go back! With the help of extensions I have the perfect desktop for me!

But who knows, maybe I feel differently after this year ;)

I make things work…

• @izznogooood said

as any other Unity user I have a hard time explaining why, but there you have it.

That s not my case. As you can see in my signature, I dualboot with Ubuntu Unitu (since 12.04). 17.10 now, gevelopment branch. In my judgement, not the same specs as yours of course, Unity is the heaviest DE ever tried and maybe the least customizable. I m very happy with my present KDE running at 450 Mibs/ 1* CPU. Or my ex Gnome at 550-600/ 3* CPU.
    In Ubuntu Unity takes up a whole 900/6% CPU. And definately less snappy than my Antergos KDE or Gnome.
    That s why I was tempted to ask. Thanks for your answer anyway.
    Cheers

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• (I mixed DE/DM)

I have not done the numbers so i would not know. I go by preference only. I dont doubt your numbers!

But I have an I7-7500U, and Unity is the only DE out of the box that feels as fast as a mac on resume, and I grant this probably stains my view… (Emphases on “out of the box”).

I have no need to customize Unity, thats just it ;). It suits me.

KDE is not for me, to many options…

I make things work…

distro5 Posts 6Views 205