• Lenovo t400 VGA port not working

Being new to Linux I am also new to asking for help in a Linux forum so please forgive any simple steps I may have missed. For starters here is my video hardware:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
    (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device 20e4
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 32
    Memory at f4400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
    [1_1495388285046_journal](Uploading 100%) [0_1495388285045_Xorg.0.log](Uploading 100%)

I have also uploaded those logs that I could manage to attache to an email to get them to this box I am currently working on. I have tried to google for an answer and while I find many many posts on simular subjects never one specific to Antergos + Thinkpads + “No VGA out”. I was however able to find general Arch + Thinkpad + VGA so I tried many of those steps and after downloading all manor of things, restarting each time, and a nasty little bit of trying to run Xorg or something from sudo and getting stuck in a login loop, I figured it was time to ask for help. I got all my file permissions changed and am no longer in a login loop by the way. Google helped a bunch there.

Currently I am running a T400 and was trying to manually install Arch on it. While Arch was easy enough to install I kept having issues getting a desktop environment loaded so I ended up going with Antergos and choosing XFCE. Big thank you to Antergos, made things so much easier for a noob like myself. I would like to connect a larger external screen while working at my desk so I attach a VGA to DVI adapter to my VGA port and then attach a DVI to HDMI cable from that adapter to my external monitor. However the monitor has no signal and the laptop does not see the monitor even if I use the FN + F7 keys to enable VGA out.

Can anybody point me in the right direction with search term ideas so I can try google out again?

• –update–
    verified latest intel drivers are downloaded "xf86-video-intel"
    further more took the time to download "xorg-drivers"
    question is there a way to tell which drivers xorg is using? Because it is working now but I am not sure why.

note to future noob
    All I did was type the following at the command prompt: “sudo pacman -S xf86-video-intel xorg-drivers”

vga5 t4001 lenovo12 port2 Posts 2Views 263