• Feedback regarding UEFI booting

I’ve been struggling with UEFI on my HP Probook 4540s laptop and I think I can provide valuable information on this issue.
    When I first switched from BIOS to EFI, Fedora was the only distro that knew how to make my laptop load GRUB automatically.
    Now most distros install grub in a fat32 partition mounted as /boot/efi, and the generated grubx64.efi is put in a folder. They also add entries to a small memory that holds the boot order (efibootmgr handles this), but strangely my laptop ignores these entries and only looks for /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.

If I have Fedora installed and I install openSUSE, it will only create /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi, but my laptop will still load Fedora’s GRUB because openSUSE didn’t overwrite /BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.

I can manually boot any EFI file, including from other mediums like CDs and USB drives, but if BOOTX64.EFI is not present, I’ll get an error that no image was found.

Back to Antergos, at this point I cannot boot from a dd-written USB drive, although I can see the EFI files there.

• I’ve been struggling with UEFI on my HP Probook 4540s laptop and I think I can provide valuable information on this issue.
    When I first switched from BIOS to EFI, Fedora was the only distro that knew how to make my laptop load GRUB automatically.
    Now most distros install grub in a fat32 partition mounted as /boot/efi, and the generated grubx64.efi is put in a folder. They also add entries to a small memory that holds the boot order (efibootmgr handles this), but strangely my laptop ignores these entries and only looks for /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.

If I have Fedora installed and I install openSUSE, it will only create /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi, but my laptop will still load Fedora’s GRUB because openSUSE didn’t overwrite /BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.

I can manually boot any EFI file, including from other mediums like CDs and USB drives, but if BOOTX64.EFI is not present, I’ll get an error that no image was found.

Back to Antergos, at this point I cannot boot from a dd-written USB drive, although I can see the EFI files there.

• Hi,

Give this iso a try and let me know if it works: [http://repo.antergos.info/iso/testing/uefi/antergos-2014.03.31-x86_64.iso][0]">[http://repo.antergos.info/iso/testing/u][1] … x86_64.iso If it boots okay, you will need to exit the installer and run the testing script (more info in the Cnchi Bug Hunters thread).

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://repo.antergos.info/iso/testing/u

• Yes, it does work and I’ve succesfully installed the system.

• Dustin, you should share this iso with faidoc…

Cheers!

• Hello everyone, I have also tried the iso antergos 31/03/2014 in EFI mode and using CnCHi test and everything went well, but I made the partitions without using the automatic …
    Thanks to all and sorry for my english

Installed on Samsung NP900X3c in Efi mode

• @“karasu”:33nvdvsi said:

Dustin, you should share this iso with faidoc… [/quote:33nvdvsi]I’ve already ported the changes to antergos-iso master but @faidoc often times builds the iso’s locally without pulling the changes to antergos-iso hehe

• I’ve tried the linked to ISO file since the most recent testing build doesn’t seem to work with EFI. I noticed that it appears that when working with LVM, if I set my /boot and /boot/efi to separate partitions, with /boot/efi being a FAT32 partition, SDA3, shared with Windows 8.1, and /boot being an ext4 partition on SDB, with /boot and /boot/efi being the only two partitions used by the Linux install not in LVM, that the installer fails to detect /boot/efi as the EFI partition and refuses to let me continue installing.

I should note the reason for having these separate partitions, besides just letting Windows and Linux play nice, is that the /boot partition needs to be separate from the LVM partitions if I wanted to encrypt my LVM with LUKS. While this is not a LUKS setup (yet), I still like to keep that layout just in case.

• Hi,

I will be doing more work with UEFI configuration over the next release cycle. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers!

Posts 9Views 1761