• How to get rid of Bumblebee?

Hello,

I recently installed antergos on my MSI laptop (MSI GE72 6QD-476XFR Apache Pro model to be exact) and followed the recommended procedure for such laptops by using bumblebee.
    However my experience is the same as when I tried it on ubuntu, I really can’t bear it, I’d rather deal with the poor battery life of only using nvidia. How can I achieve this on Antergos?

Here are my logs: https://framadrive.org/s/eeSrZ3SdiGfvs6r there are no lightdm logs because I switched to SDDM.
    My BIOS doesn’t mention my graphic cards and my system hangs after a short time without this kernel option in grub acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=“Windows 2009” (a workaround I didn’t need in Ubuntu, however I had other problems I don’t have here).

[[email protected] ~]$ lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 [8086:191b] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] [10de:139b] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
    [[email protected] ~]$

• Assuming that Bumblebee is installed correctly and you know, what you’re doing:

sudo pacman -Syu xf86-video-intel --noconfirm

sudo systemctl stop bumblebeed

sudo systemctl disable bumblebeed

sudo gpasswd --delete $USER bumblebee

sudo groupdel bumblebee

sudo pacman -Rcnsu bumblebee nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils lib32-virtualgl nvidia-settings bbswitch --noconfirm

sudo mkinitcpio --preset linux

sudo shutdown -h now

• @just Thank you for the quick response, I can’t try it right now but I mark is as solved.

Besides some annoying nouveau problems and problems with the iGPU driver because of the “old” kernel in Ubuntu LTS I think I have the hang of it now. Is there something peculiar about doing a nvidia-only setup in Arch/Antergos ?
    I’m asking this because from what i’ve read on the forums when people with optimus laptops had problems the immediate response is usually the tutorial to setup bumblebee. When I did my setup on ubuntu with only nvidia I mostly used the arch wiki and had no problems translating it to Ubuntu but the fact that I never saw it proposed as a solution on these forums makes me cautious.

• I don’t follow you.

By default Ubuntu allows to install Prime, not Bumblebee. “Only Nvidia”, as you say, usually means using Prime, not Bumblebee. You don’t mention, which ArchWiki you followed to install Nvidia driver. ArchWiki’s Bumblebee article is very good, but it doesn’t set “Nvidia only”. ArchWiki’s Prime article is very bad, but theorically it should allow to set “Nvidia only”.

Nvidia driver cannot be used on Optimus without either Prime or Bumblebee.

It’s good that you’re cautious about installing it. I do not use Prime, so can’t speak about it. I use Bumblebee only. It works perfectly on Arch since 2012. I don’t see any reason to reduce full Optimus functionality down to Prime level.

• it’s sad & somehow embarrassing but I fully disabled nvidia on BIOS, just using Intel card.

For daily use I got no problems, the system works just fine. Yes, it’s pointless to buy a laptop with two video cards and use just one. I didnt know all this “optimus”-thing when bought it (> 4 years since).

BTW, this is just my (silly) solution.

• @XoseM said in How to get rid of Bumblebee?:

I didnt know all this “optimus”-thing when bought it (> 4 years since).

If the laptop is 4+ years old, it probably has a slightly outdated Nvidia. Which is generally good in Linux - the older hardware is supported better than newest. Bumblebee works very well on older Optimus cards. What card do you have?

• alt text

I dont miss “performance”, I’m craving for long battery life and disabling nvidia card I got it so

I had successfully installed and configured bumblebee (in the past) but, my “problem” is that I dint found how to use it seamlessly. In order to use nvidia card you need to start an application/program with “optirun whatever”.

In windows it is a transparent process, the system “knows” when you are on a high demand of video resources and activates it on demand (IIRC), at least I never had to activate nvidia card manually (it’s long time ago I dont log in to windows session).

When I had bumblebee installed I quite often got errors when kernel or nvidia driver were updated, occasionally breaking my sistem I wasting lot of time just to revert the situation. Lastly I’ve installed LTS-kernel, set it as default on grub and turn off nvidia card on BIOS.

this is my intel card,

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

it’s enough for my needs (web, office documents, even netflix-like video services…)

Please dont get me wrong, it’s a great effort from the comunity and I’m thankful

• @just I was using PRIME as is the default behavior when installing Ubuntu although I tried bumblebee too. When doing so I followed a tutorial on webudp8 and a bit of the archwiki.

My problem with bumblebee is several:

• I didn’t get as much performance as with Prime, I heard of primus which is advised by the arch wiki but nothing I found on the bumblebee website mentions so I didn’t try that yet.

• There is no seamless way to have a program run on optimus when I want to, using aliases made it a bit easier or as I do now on antergos, modifying launch options in the KDE interface for specific programs.
      I didn’t find any easy GUI or CLI “solutions” or some sort of manager (except lutris for games but it gets a bit tiring), most notably WINE is the hardest to use with optirun and has significant performance drops.

• Most of the time I want to have everything on my nvidia card most of the time and Intel when I was in dire need of battery life, I would prefer a “reverse-bumblebee” where I run everything on the nvidia card and run on intel when I need it, like Prime supposedly permits by logging out and in of the DE to switch. I tried to have this setup using the archwiki about prime (Had no idea it had poor information) and and this page (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/381.22/README/index.html) on nvidia’s website. It was a while ago so I don’t remember the exact reasons but my understanding was that the version of Xorg server in Ubuntu 16.04 was too old to get it to work which is one of the reasons of my switch to antergos, and some issues seemed tied to the specific hardware on my laptop so I couldn’t really get to the root of the problem.

Well that plus the fact that due to the very poor understanding I had at the beginning resulted in a bit of mess in my configuration that I couldn’t make sense of anymore once I understood a bit more how this all worked
    At that point I had decided to drop it and start anew with more knowledge and on a system with a more recent version of the Xorg server when I would reinstall my OS.

Back to the current situation, admittedly I didn’t choose the best time to try to setup this mess which could take several days of back and forth help from forums between two breaks which I can’t do right now. I wanted to try KDE and get accustomed with specific Arch tools like pacman or the aur but I didn’t think I would have to use bumblebee which is detrimental to my workflow.

Now that I’ve explained this I hope I was clear in my needs and my reasoning. Assuming there are no misunderstanding from me about the way the various optimus solutions work here’s the way I see it:

If setting up prime where switching requires to logout and in is possible I would much more prefer that, even if this was nvidia only. Getting the switch to function looks pretty hard and unless it’s more straightforward than I think it is I’d just postpone its configuration.
    Alternatively if there is an easier way to setup the type of workflow I described with bumblebee and close the performance gap I’d be interested to try it.

If there is no quick way to have any of these setups on Antergos I will probably go back to kubuntu for the time being and come back to Antergos in a few weeks when taking a few days to properly do it won’t be a problem.

rid2 bumblebee25 Posts 8Views 383