• Installer error - Cannot create download package list (metalinks)

Hello,

I’m trying to install antergos alongside windows10. Followed the instructions here: https://itsfoss.com/dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi/ (also referenced on antergos website).

Everything goes well and at the last step before install, where I’m asked to create a user account, I get this error:

Antergos Installer - Error
    ’Cannot create download package list (metalinks)'
    Please reference the following number when reporting this error: 606273

Please let me know what should be done to avoid this error.

• I have tried the following from an older post, but it didn’t help

sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux antergos

• Same problem with error code 0. Tried with Feb ISO also new minimal & live ISO with same result.

• Same problem installing on Virtualbox on a Macbook pro. Not possible to use the installer to install Antergos KDE.

• Hi there,

I managed to make it work.
    The package that was in cause for me was antergos-gsettings. I removed it in package.xml and it worked fine.

Following these instructions :
    https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/745

• @Uzi said in Installer error - Cannot create download package list (metalinks):

Same problem with error code 0. Tried with Feb ISO also new minimal & live ISO with same result.

Anyone know what error 0 is?

• Hmm… I replied a couple of days ago, but seems my comment got discarded for some reason. Anyway, I had to do all the following to eliminate the error:

• Populate antergos keys
      sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux antergos
    • Run cnchi from terminal
      sudo -E cnchi -dv -p ~/packages.xml
      OR
      sudo -E cnchi -dv
    • Remove duplicate multilib entry from /etc/pacman.conf

If only antergos-gsettings is fixed in packages.xml, then there is no error once the installation starts. However, the other changes to pacman.conf and the pacman key updates ensured that the error does not happen before the installation began (during user account creation). Finally, just clicking the UI button to install antergos always fails somewhere despite doing all the above. It only works if we run cnchi from the terminal.

I tried Antergos 3 months ago and cnchi would not even run when just clicking the UI icon. It only could be done as a command from the terminal.

These issues with pacman configurations and removing certain packages which are sought after by default should be easy ones to fix, especially given how many users are reporting it. Hopefully cnchi can become more stable and linux distro comparisons will not list cnchi as a “CON” of antergos.

• Hi,

This can surprise you, but all these “cannot create download package list” problems have nothing to do with cnchi.

It’s always that packages are removed or renamed without previous notice from the Arch repositories (xorg-server-utils), or that Cnchi can’t find newest packages because there are mirrors that are not updated (antergos-gsettings).

It should work now (I see antergos-gsettings in the mirror I use since yesterday).

Cheers!

• @karasu As always, I have learnt, be patient with any Antergos/Arch issues & they get fixed. Checked & can confirm all installing smoothly.

Cheers

• Technically, they may not be related to Cnchi, but I think automatically resolving errors of missing/renamed/updated packages should be a part of Cnchi. It is the “cnchi-workflow” that has the deficiency. If the minimal required packages are all well and available, then the antergos installer must be able to ignore packages and notify the user of which ones did not get installed.

Forgive my harshness, but I do want Antergos to flourish more and used by many people. As many have said, once you get through the install, it is smooth sailing. I haven’t faced any issues so far.

• @archmuon said in Installer error - Cannot create download package list (metalinks):

If the minimal required packages are all well and available, then the antergos installer must be able to ignore packages and notify the user of which ones did not get installed.

mmm… we thought about this long time ago (we even divided installation in several groups, so if one failed not all the installation would fail) but in the end we decided that leaving the user with a “half” installed system was not a good choice.

What do you think if users, for instance, get a bare gnome without our themeing? It’s going to be Cnchi’s fault, too. There are a lot of non “required” packages for the system to boot and be usable… but that wouldn’t be a nice experience for the users.

I prefer to show an error message and stop installation so the user knows something is wrong. I agree that the message should be clearer and show which package is at fault, but that’s another issue.

Cheers!

• @karasu

Sure, I agree. Leaving the user with a half-baked installation is worse. In this case, antergos-gsettings not being updated did not cause any problems. My point with the “minimal packages required” was to this effect - minimal required for a “good” installation. You define what is considered as absolutely necessary to give the end-user a good experience.

Yes, better error messages would help for sure. Currently, unless cnchi is run from the terminal, we don’t see the error messages.

Btw, what does antergos-gsettings do? I’m not able to find a description for it. Should I try to install it now since I skipped over it to allow installation?

• @archmuon said in Installer error - Cannot create download package list (metalinks):

Btw, what does antergos-gsettings do? I’m not able to find a description for it. Should I try to install it now since I skipped over it to allow installation?

It setups your Gtk3, so it’s really important for Gtk3 based desktops (Gnome, Cinnamon and Mate). It does it by adding some key files.

Check this out:

https://github.com/antergos/antergos-gsettings

Cheers!

• Can I suggest message references the forum. Not all who install would go to Antergos forum to look for cause/solution.

• @Uzi said in Installer error - Cannot create download package list (metalinks):

Can I suggest message references the forum. Not all who install would go to Antergos forum to look for cause/solution.

I agree, that happens specially to whom is just giving a try. I did with some distros that i couldn’t manage to install under VM and just jumped to the next distro.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

error146 installer29 download13 metalinks10 Posts 15Views 483