• Linux on MSI GL62 6qf 1606xfr

Hello everyone !

I’m new with Linux, and I choose Antergos to start with it. I downloaded the latest version, and install it both in a USB stick and on a CD.
    But I can’t managed to install it on my computer (MSI as you can see above). Antergos freeze systematically before it started. The 5 blinking dots suddently stop, and then, nothing happens, the only thing I can do is shuting down the computer.
    Can somebody help me ?

P.S.: I already have a partition with W10, and i create one of 50 GB to install Linux
    P.P.S.: i’m french, sorry if there is some grammatical mistakes.

• @Zone

the 5 blinking dots suddently stop, and then, nothing happens, the only thing I can do is shuting down the computer.

Hi! Welcome to Antergos world!
    Here takes a long time to boot also, i’d say for you to wait at least 5 minutes to see if is booting or if it’s freezing

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @Zone Try to boot with additional parameter:

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

• Thanks for your fast answers !

@fernandomaroto I can say when the boot is freezing or not : The CD/USB stick stop running when the dots stop. I managed to boot on my old HP, and it boot only few seconds after the dots stop.

@just I’l really new on Linux community, I don’t know what this additional parameter means, and even less how to add it !

I forget to say, but when i say “Start Antergos Live”, there are some errors that disappear automatically before the loading screen (see picture)0_1494435046303_20170510_183608.jpg

• @Zone said in Linux on MSI GL62 6qf 1606xfr:

@fernandomaroto I can say when the boot is freezing or not : The CD/USB stick stop running when the dots stop. I managed to boot on my old HP, and it boot only few seconds after the dots stop.

Then i don’t know…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Power up the computer with LiveMedia inserted. LiveMedia startup screen will appear. It is made of 3 options:

• Boot from Hard Disk
    • Start Antergos Live
    • Non-Graphical Boot

The 1st option is selected. Press the CursorDown key once to select the 2nd option - Start Antergos Live. A long line with boot parameters will automagically appear at the bottom of the screen. It ends up with

...=loop udev.log.priority=crit rd.udev.log-priority=crit quiet splash [space]

Without pressing any other key just start typing in:

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

The text you typed in will be added at the end of existing boot parameters. Pay attention to not delete the [space] which follows the splash parameter.

Press Enter to boot.

All this has sense only if your video card is Nvidia Optimus. Otherwise, ignore this advice.

• It worked…
    Thank you so much ! I’m now installing it on my HDD !
    The solution was to add the parameter you talked about !

It worked…
    Thank you so much ! I’m now installing it on my HDD !
    The solution was to add the parameter you talked about !

Doт’t celebrate too early. Read and follow Antergos Wiki here. Briefly: until nouveau video driver is removed, you should always boot with this parameter.

Among other things, the article explains how to remove nouveau.

• Oh… The installation was completed, i reboot my laptop, and then grub ask me to choose what i want to boot (Antergos or W10), W10 works but not Antergos. Always boot with this parameter isn’t a problem for me, i just need to know where to write it now…

…Always boot with this parameter isn’t a problem for me, i just need to know where to write it now…

First. I do not use use Grub 2. Sorry for possible inaccurances.
    Second. To not add the parameter by hand on every boot, you may include it in Grub 2 configuration file.

Two steps are needed to do it.

1. As root, modify /etc/default/grub file

It has the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

The line may already contain other parameters between double-quotes.

Add modprobe.blacklist=nouveau at the end of existing parameters. Or, if other params don’t exist, simply add modprobe.blacklist=nouveau between double-quotes:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="modprobe.blacklist=nouveau "

1. Regenerate /etc/grub/grub.cfg file, which is actually used by Grub 2 on boot, with the command:
      sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

2. Done

From now on, the added parameter will be used on every boot.

There’s no need to remove the parameter when you’ll uninstall the nouveau package.

• I can’t boot anymore on linux, i got the following error![0_1494508411541_20170511_151317.jpg](Uploading 100%)

• Here it is
    0_1494508463899_1494508441471896542115.jpg

• do you choose manual partition?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    how to add system logs

• Yes, i choose manual, because automatic partition would destroy my whole data, including W10.
    This afternoon, Linux had a big crashes, and grub didn’t work anymore. I had no more Windows or Linux. I managed to bring back W10, but linux is lost. I think i will wait a little more to install Linux, and i will install it directly on a dedicated external HDD.

Thanks you for your help anyway,
    Zone

• you are welcome!
    Hope to see you back soon!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    how to add system logs

msi3 installation194 Posts 15Views 826