• Suggestion: "Antergos Store"

Hi!

Not exactly what the title say :) (not related with sellings)
    I was testing SparkyLinux and saw that they made a customized package called “APTus” which cover up their own repositories/customizations.

I’d like to ask the @developers @karasu @lots-0-logs to at least take a look at it when you have time, seems a pretty good tool for Antergos, specially the Desktop installer part (or at least to give you some ideas).

Well, that’s it,
    Thanks for your attention.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• You mean something like this? If so, it s in the devs long todo list…
    https://antergos.com/blog/coming-soon-a-more-app-centric-package-management-experience/

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Yes, I like this idea too!

But until there is an Antergos store, you can still download and use the Gnome software ‘store’ in the repo. It works fine for the Antergos/Arch repos, but not AUR, which suits the needs of most anyway.

It seems to me that Pamac is to Antergos what Synaptic is to Ubuntu - great for finding packages and dependencies, where as Gnome Software is great for finding apps.

• @anarch said in Suggestion: "Antergos Store":

You mean something like this? If so, it s in the devs long todo list…
    https://antergos.com/blog/coming-soon-a-more-app-centric-package-management-experience/

Uau, i’m impressed, yeah, definitily something like that. I saw that it’s a 2015 year’s post. Anyone can tell if the development is going on or stopped?

But until there is an Antergos store, you can still download and use the Gnome software ‘store’ in the repo. It works fine for the Antergos/Arch repos, but not AUR, which suits the needs of most anyway.
    It seems to me that Pamac is to Antergos what Synaptic is to Ubuntu - great for finding packages and dependencies, where as Gnome Software is great for finding apps.

I admit i’m too confortable using the GIANT Arch/Antergos/AUR repositories; under debian many things need to be imported (for Ubuntu from that PPA launchpad.net canonical website) or directly downloaded from official sites… Boring

“Put fun back into Computing” or something like that hehehe.

Cheers!

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Gnome Software has its downfalls. Apart from only providing its own staff alone, it also gets in the way as an updater. I tried it in my very early days in Antergos. Running two update manages at the same time proved to be an unfortunate choice of mine. And because the Gnome Software Updater was slower than pamac it popped up while I already was in the process of updating The end result was countless locked databases while trying to update. So I had to keep just the better between the two, pamac

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• I should have been more specific, I was referring to the Gnome Software Centre as an aid to download apps only. I wasn’t referring to Gnome’s updater.

• @fotonut-nz , Gnome Software Center is also an updater. There was not a misunderstanding, we re talking about the same app. The one I used to have in Antergos and the same one I m having in Ubuntu…
    Aren t we talking about this one? (updates at the top right)
    0_1494473632799_upload-f6acd5d2-21fb-497b-94ab-be0b6ecfb395 https://s14-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-c5qMsEuUZLg%2FUj2cRVyjrQI%2FAAAAAAABKcY%2FWSsG9KvnNb4%2Fs1600%2Fgnome-software.jpg&sp=2e9bee2db7a36d86692f1c1a3a6b1eca

• That’s the one.

For me I just don’t use it’s updater, just to download software.

I agree that it’s probably not the best solution. But most noobs will probably find pamac more daunting to use as a software downloader whereas a more graphical tool such as GSC wouldn’t be such a problem.

I guess it’s the only easy to use software download tool we have until the official software centre is released.

Is there anyway of disabling the updater in GSC?

• I see your point but the problem, as I described it before, is that it runs its own process of searching for updates. Whether you only use it to download apps only or not. So, there I was, turning on my pc and seeing that I had new updates (pamac is extremely fast to load). So, open to start updating and…boom! locked data bases. Gnome software came lazily into the way. I spent quite a lot of time by myself and here in the forum, as a noob, to figure it out.
    I can understand that a novice looks for apps to install, doesn t know names and sources. Besides, that s the way he/she is used to from the buntu-based distros where he came from (I myself was one of them). But over the time one can realize that its an unnecessary tool as he/she gets more experienced… -:)

• @fotonut-nz said

Is there anyway of disabling the updater in GSC?

To be honest, I got rid of the whole GNOME staff altogether. A happy plasma user getting ready to move on to i3!!!

• I think we’re both on the same page.

I didn’t realise GSC was also an updater. This does change matters somewhat.

I’m so impressed with Antergos, the way it just works, looks and feels. I was hoping to bring new users to Linux across to Antergos, but not having such a basic requirement as a software centre would for most be a deal breaker.
    This, as you say, wouldn’t be so much of a problem for those who have had experience with other distros - particularly those who know the names of the software they use, but new-to-Linux users would almost certainly be lost.

Hopefully the devs involved will see the urgency in getting the Antergos Software Centre up and running, particularly as interest in Antergos ramps up and gets more popular.

Just my 2 cents…

• Anyone can tell if the development is going on or stopped?

It’s not that we decided to abandon it, but last commit is one year old… I started developing it and Dustin took the “token”. But now neither have the time to go on.

Dustin improved its gui A LOT, and I got lost in the process (I’m not ashamed of it ;).

So, either I find some time to study what he did and try to go on, or he finds the time to do it. Either options seem unlikely to happen in the near future.

Sorry guys.

• There’s nothing to be sorry about. 136 Cnchi issues have much higher priority than AnteStore, imo.

• Bild Text

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @karasu Don’t worry, i’m happy enough to know that the probject is already going on. You and @lots-0-logs did a wonderful distro, will i complain? Off course not!!!

The point is that while testing Sparky i see their nice tool and thought about the great feature for Antergos, but then i discovered you are already doing something similiar. Cool!

Cheers!

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• I’m thinking about doing a “simplified” version. Something that would let choose you to install / uninstall desktops. That shouldn’t be so difficult. This program could simply install / uninstall antergos-kde-setup and antergos-openbox-setup packages.

We still do not have antergos-gnome-setup, antergos-cinnamon-setup or antergos-xfce-setup, so maybe it’s time.

• @karasu said in Suggestion: "Antergos Store":

antergos-gnome-setup

YES! i vote for it, also without any GUI app a pacman -S antergos-gnome-setup would solve many broken installations!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• If a full on Antergos-Store is unlikely to happen in the near future, why not at least add a more aesthetically pleasing/ more intuitive skin (or theme, whichever the correct lingo is:smile:) to pamac instead?

This seems like it might do something to solve the problem until the store is completed:slight_smile:

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

(NOTE: This is still @A-User, I just changed my username and picture)

• @A-User said in Suggestion: "Antergos Store":

If a full on Antergos-Store is unlikely to happen in the near future, why not at least add a more aesthetically pleasing/ more intuitive skin (or theme, whichever the correct lingo is) to pamac instead?
    This seems like it might do something to solve the problem until the store is completed

I’m sorry but the work that this would take does not compensate. It’s better we center our efforts. I’m working on a desktop installer and when I finish it I will try to bring our Antergos Store back to life.

Cheers!

• Thanks for the reply:slight_smile:

It was only a suggestion as I have absolutely no idea what it would take on the coding side to get it done. Thank you again for your great distro!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

(NOTE: This is still @A-User, I just changed my username and picture)

suggestion7 store1 Posts 20Views 694