• Plasma5 suddenly boots into wallpaper plus mouse pointer only

Today, I booted up my antergos plasma5 system and it booted into a screen that shows wallpaper plus movable mouse pointer, xorg seems to work, as sddm is being displayed properly. I can’t do anything, the system stays completely unresponsive. I have no clue what has caused this. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
    J.

• Very seldom - once, max twice a year, - but it happens. I never tried to figure out why. I simply restart X-server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and then reboot. Plasma has always started normally after reboot.

• Tried your advice, didn’t change anything. Still only the unresponsive wallpaper with mousepointer.
    I noticed that I can login to a working plasma5 de when I login as different user ( root).
    J.

• I was suspecting that it is somehow related to compositing. Try to start without the compositor. I don’t know, how to do it from terminal. If you can reach System Settings GUI - systemsettings5 from terminal or from Alt+F2, - then uncheck Enable compositor on startup:

0_1494079861506_plasma-compositor-settings.png

If Plasma starts normally, you can re-enable compositor later.

• I can login to a working desktop as root as well as another user with compositing enabled. My “default” user account seems to be completely fubar though. Is there a way to remove the user profile for my default user?
    J.

• @Jeannie____ said in Plasma5 suddenly boots into wallpaper plus mouse pointer only:

…Is there a way to remove the user profile for my default user?

Yes, sure, why not. Everything is possible in Linux, including impossible.

How to delete a user in Arch.

1. Boot into root bash shell, without GUI. It ensures that no regular user is in use, and may be modified or deleted.

1a. Add init=/bin/bash at the end of the boot line.

1b. Boot. You’re in bash, automagically logged in as root.

1c. Remount the / file system as writeable:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

2. Delete a user, removing his home dir and mail spool:

userdel --remove [user]

3. Reboot

4. Done

Beware: if you’re the only user in a system, you’ll not be able to login - there will be no a regular user to login with.

Use useradd command to add a new regular user. Study it while you’re in root bash and add a new user before rebooting.

• I seem not to have found the correct words. I don’t want to delete the whole user from my system, I’d rather like to just remove my user’s plasma 5 settings? profile?.
    J.

• It’s more difficult. Kde3, 4, 5 never kept user settings in a single place. Most common places, where Kde settings are stored, are:

• ~/.config
    • ~/.local
    • ~/.kde4 (even in Kde5 Plasma)
    • ~/.cache

If you have a good backup, with a working Plasma, then you could try to completely delete these folders content.

• Out of curiosity, would switching to, lets say, lightDM give the same result?
    There were times when SDDM failed on me and resorted to it. Currently, my conky doesn t display properly under SDDM and I m under lightDM fot the last couple of months or so.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I have solved the problem. I had to delete my /~.config folder to get a working desktop back. I still have no idea how this could happen.
    J.

boots5 suddenly3 wallpaper8 plasma59 Posts 10Views 156