• Can't Start Wayland Plasma from LightDM or SDDM

I am using the latest Nvidia proprietary drivers on a GTX 980 Ti. I installed the plasma-wayland-session and the sddm packages. However, whenever I try to start the session from either the LightDM or the SDDM, the screen turns black for a moment before taking me back to the login manager.

What do I need to do to use the plasma wayland session?

• Is this working at all? i hear only that this does not work with nvidia driver, others seems to work like AMD and Intel…

• @joekamprad thank you for your response. I’m under the impression from KDE Archwiki that it is in fact working.

alt text

I know that Nvidia introduced Wayland support into their drivers some time ago. Is it in fact not supported from a KDE level, then? I can’t find anything concrete.

• @joekamprad So, correct me if I’m wrong. If I want to attempt to use Wayland with Nvidia proprietary drivers, then I need to use Gnome? Or Wayland with Nvidia doesn’t work at all?

• At the moment Wayland doesn’t work with proprietary Nvidia-drivers.
    Options are either use nouveau or X11 and nvidia.
    http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=313990
    But I don’t think the work on this should take too much time. But after all it’s Nvidia and theire astonishing Linux-Support…
    Lucky me, Iam using i3 and when support is done i will switch to sway. But Iam not in a hurry.

mutze

• @mutze said in Can't Start Wayland Plasma from LightDM or SDDM:

At the moment Wayland doesn’t work with proprietary Nvidia-drivers.

Not totally true ;) I get this working under Gnome 3.24, and was able to start a session too!
    But it was very slow and eats all of my CPU+Memory… so on one hand needs a lot configuration and on the other hand it is not complete at all…

• @joekamprad
    So your CPU did the trick and not your GPU. This will change at the time Nvidia releases a driver with wayland support.

mutze

lightdm127 wayland48 plasma41 sddm13 Posts 8Views 2209
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.